“Bungle in the Jungle”

Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel
Reviewed November 15, 2005

Staff was great! Room was okay but the sheets hadn't been changed for our stay.Restrooms were close by our room,but we wore shower shoes to make sure fungus didn't get among us! We had more than our share of room mates! Bugs are to be expexted and they hid when we tried to capture them. The geicos were cute but boy do they make a mess! We had a nice big floor fan that was great and kept us cool! If your a young'un then this is the place for you! It has a pool table, and recroom, laundry room and a hot tub outside, and at night everyone gathered to chat. I especially appreciated the computer room so I could e-mail friends and family. Outside the walkways were full of beautiful vines and flowering & fruit trees. The birds sing as soon as the sun comes up, what a nice sound. It was ok for our stay but Martha would have a grand o'l time painting, cleaning and redecorating!

8  Thank Huckleberrygal
There are newer reviews for Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel

Union,KY
Reviewed November 11, 2005

If you're an adventurer, enjoy other cultures and peoples and don't like to break your bank account, the Banana is the place to stay. Just completed my seventh and best trip to the Islands. The staff is friendly and knowledgable and the guests come from around the world. The hostel even attracts the well educated and well healed, although they may feel as though they are "roughing it." We were not happy with our room the first night because of road noise and bright lights, but reception was very accomodating and moved us to an acceptable room. The tours are the best thing about staying there. They are fabulous and fun! Try to do all of them. Stay at least a week if you can, or more!

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
USA
Reviewed September 22, 2005

Did that grab your attention? Good. Let me tell you why to avoid this pit at all costs. I decided to go to Maui over summer as a treat to myself for getting through year one of college and when I initally found Banana Bungalow I was very happy. Supposedly I would be getting a decent hostel at a great price that offer free tours and activites of the island. When I arrived on Maui I found that this was not the case. I walked into the hostel and was immeadiately put off by the less than stellar condition of the building and the surrounding neighborhood and my unease grew when the young ( and scantily clad) lady had trouble checking me in due to the facts that someone had forgotten to write down my reservation and that she couldn't count the number of days in July and August. I finally get my key and set off to find my room. I signed up for a dorm room and to my surprise, when I open the door- the room is not only a pit but a pit infested with males. Pyramids of beer, dirty underwear hanging from doornobs, and various trash was littered about. I set my bag on the only free bed, a top bunk, and set off for the bathroom to wash my hands( the room was that distrubing). The bathroom is less than desireable- the tiles are gone in the shower and the toilet is barely functional- I quickly retreat to my room. I find one of the males and quickly inquire if he or another might be willing to switch beds with me so I might get the bottem (my left leg had recently been severly injured and there was no way I could get up what they playfully called a ladder) and he rudely informed me that 'no, he liked his bed and so did the other male'. I left the room and a staff member told me that there were hammocks outside that I might avail myself of, so I set off to find them. While I was outside, I not only found a large group of people 'getting to know one another' in the hot tub but several individuals doing some 'recreational drugs'. I turned around gathered my bags and found another hotel for the night. I went back to the hotel the next morning and asked for a refund since I spent less than an hour at the hostel - they told me no. They very snidely told me that they were a party hostel and there were a lot more hostels that were worse than them. They didn't refund a single cent, $400 dollars gone. I changed my plane ticket to leave as soon as possible and found another hotel for the duration of my remaining time. Though Maui itself was beautiful and the beaches lovely I will always be soured towards the island. So to be perfectly frank, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOSTEL!!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT TO THE DAY YOU DIE!!!

• Stayed: July 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2005

Hawaii is beautiful. This place was a dump. Next time, save our money and stay in a nice hotel. Pay cheap, get cheap. In a horrible part of town as well. Place smelled like dirty water and filthy underwear.

• Stayed: June 2005

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2005

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank Viking-travels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Beach Hotel
Northshore Hostel Maui
Northshore Hostel Maui
#1 of 9 in Wailuku
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront

Been to Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel? Share your experiences!