Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel
$79
Northshore Hostel Maui(Wailuku)(Great Value!)
$80
$147
$139
  • Restaurant
$164
$279
$209
AscendHotels
Best Western Pioneer Inn(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$212
$197
Lahaina Inn(Lahaina)
$210
$575
$325
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of $460/night.

TripAdvisor
All reviewshot tubdaily tourspool tablefree tourthe kitchentour guidehave a good timenew friendsfree beerkeg partywork hardan open mindcleaned every daymile hikeroad to hanacommon areasrenting a car
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The free daily tours makes this somewhat isolated hostel a truly nice place to stay on Maui. That being said, the neighborhood that Banana Bungalow Maui hostel is in is rather seedy and somewhat dangerous (don't walk around the neighborhood alone at night).

I've stayed at this hostel many times. Unfortunately, during my last two visits, there was such a problem with flies that I found it difficult to eat (or to read a book) in peace.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank aguilder
Bungalowmaui, Manager at Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Aloha Dan, Thank you for your positive comments! We appreciate your feedback. We have never had a complaint about flies except from you. It is mango season and during this time we do seem to have a bit more winged friends around. We will do our best to make sure they aren't here to bother you next time.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed here for a week in September 2012, and it was my very first hostel experience. I slept in a private room, and while it was small, it was nice and clean (the shared bathrooms/showers and the kitchen were not as clean as the bedroom, unfortunately.) We didn't have a problem going to sleep even though our bedroom window faced the common area, as the hostel staff have a strict "keep quiet" rule after 10 pm, which most people seemed to follow. The staff was really friendly, and it was a lot of fun to hang out with them and the other people at the hostel during the evenings. The free tours are awesome (with great tour guides!) and they were the main reason why we chose to stay at this hostel. Just make sure you sign up early the day before the tour, as they fill up pretty quickly.

The location is not very good, it's far from the beach and there's not a lot to do and see in Wailuku. If you rent a car or go on the tours, the location won't a big problem though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Malinea

Aloha, Thank you for the review! While we can't change our location we strive to make the one we have as friendly and welcoming as possible for our traveling friends. Glad to hear you had a good time and hope you come back to visit us again someday!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff at Banana Bungalow are super. My reservation got a little confused but the staff rectified the situation immediately. It's completely a no frills stay but it's absolutely worth the stay. If I get back to Maui, I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Aces926

Appreciate the kind words! Hope we get a chance to host you again soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent 9 days at Banana Bungalow.

I had an incident in my room and staff was prompt to solve my problem, offered me a private room for a couple days and were very friendly.

Rooms are small (2 bunk beds), and ok for cleanness and comfort. Problem is the noise outside (both street and from people partying). I only had a good night sleep when I had my iPod running. You should ask for a quieter room, so you won't face the street or the common area.

Bathrooms were not bad. There are a few private bathrooms available, shower was ok, pretty clean considering is a hostel at an island (no sand).

Location is not good, minimum 50 minutes by bus to go to a nice beach. But if you're doing the tours, as I did, location is not a problem. There is a market close by and bus stop as well.

The tours are awesome, and are a great way to meet people.

Room Tip: You should ask for a quieter room, so you won't face the street or the common area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jayroy
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Banana Bungalow is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. It is clean, the staff and people who stay there are extremely friendly, and the price to stay is really inexpensive. They offer a free pancake breakfast in the morning and free tours during the day (they just ask that you tip your tour guide, which is so worth it because the tour guides are awesome!). They even have free keg parties on Fridays! You can't beat staying here! It will be the best experience on any island in Hawaii. We didn't want to leave at the end of our vacation because it felt like we were leaving our family.

I also stayed at the Banana Bungalow six years ago with some friends. We wanted to try out another hostel on the island as well that was a little closer to the beach and we completely regretted it. The staff at the other hostel were so high and stupid (they lost our reservation) that we agreed to stay the one night because it was late when we checked in, but the next day we immediately went back to the Bungalow. The Bungalow is THE place to be. Trust me, the Bungalow is the best on the island!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends