“Resident with a Year Round Pass”
Review of Maui Ocean Center

Maui Ocean Center Admission
Ranked #1 of 49 things to do in Wailuku
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover, experience, and explore Hawaii's underwater world at Maui Ocean Center. Named Top 25 Best Aquariums in the U.S. by TripAdvisor, the Aquarium features over 60 exhibits with sharks, turtles, stingrays and thousands of vibrant tropical fish. The Aquarium is home to the world's largest collection of live Pacific corals, faithfully replicating thriving marine ecosystems in every exhibit. Journey from the shallow reef to the open ocean and encounter marine life found nowhere else in the world. A mix of indoor-outdoor exhibits, behind-the-scenes tours, and interactive presentations allow guests to conveniently discover Hawaii's marine life in a single day that would otherwise take a lifetime of exploration to see. Explore the diversity of Hawaii's marine world without ever getting wet in breathtaking exhibits like the 750,000-gallon Open Ocean Exhibit featuring a 54ft walkthrough tunnel. Amply named The Aquarium of Hawaii, Maui Ocean Center is dedicated to perpetuating the Hawaiian culture and the relationship that exists between the Hawaiian people and the sea. Enhance your experience with Maui's only shark diving activity, dining at Seascape Restaurant, shopping at Maui Ocean Treasures, or book a special event at Maui's most unique venue. Enjoy a distinctively Maui experience at Hawaii's premier Aquarium. Open daily 9am-5pm (including all holidays) with final admission at 4:30pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I live on Maui and I've also lived in California. The big Aquarium in San Francisco? Went there ALL the time. Monterey Bay Aquarium? Been there/bought the t-shirt. Are those aquariums bigger than the Maui Ocean Center? Yes, they are. More fish, more stuff... just more. It was nice to see that so many other people like the MOC. I was surprised that it got any bad reviews. I had to read the six reviews that hated the Ocean Center because I LOVE the place. If you want to compare it to bigger mainland aquariums it's going to lose out every time. It's not very big. It is on the pricey side. And it's not on the mainland.

That's not why I love it or why I go all the time. That's not why I continue to renew my year round memberships, either. I go because of how I feel when I am there. I like to go early morning and sit on the ground by the shark tanks or in the tunnel. Sometimes I'll be the only person in there and I'll pull out my journal and enjoy the fact that I'm sitting in front of a tank full of amazing creatures writing down my thoughts.

I can't swim so I don't dive or snorkel. This is as close as I'm ever going to get to these incredible animals. I'm a school teacher and I've often brought my students to the MOC over the years and, regardless of age, they have loved it too.

The tourists that I see there seem happy to be there as well. I go often and I've yet to see angry people who are mad about the lack of size or the cost. I think the Maui Ocean Center is worth visiting. Especially if you have younger children. If you're looking for a mainland experience, however, then this is NOT the attraction for you.

2  Thank TheMauiGirl
Write a ReviewReviews (3,879)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"few hours"
in 131 reviews

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Been here a few times and always enjoy it! Took my Grandparents for the first time on this trip and they both really enjoyed it as well!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you have been to a major aquarium like The Monterey Bay Aquarium, skip this one. It is expensive and does not have that much to back up the price of entry. Take the entry fee and go on a whale watch instead.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great exhibits with clean water and colorful fish and coral. A "touch" zone. Sharks. Great representation of Hawaiian marine life. Clean bathrooms. Just wish this aquarium was a little larger.

1  Thank HHAL