“Spectacular!”

Maui Mountain Cruisers
Ranked #6 of 13 Tours in Paia
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My friend and I just returned from Maui for vacation and the absolute best part of the whole week was the day we spent with Maui Mountain Cruisers. The founder, Jon Thuro was amazing - he knows so much about the history of the area and he made sure all our questions were addressed before we headed on our adventure. The tour lead was so fun and funny and made sure we were safe and could enjoy the magnificent surroundings. Well Maui is paradise but seeing the country on a bike was fantastic. Even the non bike riders will love this journey! Thank you Maui Mountain Cruisers for giving us beautiful lifetime memories! Aloha!

Reviewed July 18, 2010

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! If I could rate this experience a "0", I would. One of the women on our trip lost control and ran into an oncoming car. She was extremely lucky and walked away relatively unharmed, but she could have been killed! The guides, especially Chuck, were rude and unhelpful throughout the bike ride down the mountain. The equipment we used was incredibly unsafe and unstable. The bikes were not mountain bikes, instead they were more of a chopper style bike that could not be steered, it just took incredible balance to get down the volcano. Only 5 of the original 11 group members actually made it more than 20 minutes on the bikes, the other 6 ended up back in the van because they felt unsafe. The sunrise was incredible and the bike ride has potential to be amazing- JUST PLEASE, FOR YOUR SAFETY, USE A DIFFERENT COMPANY!!!

3  Thank mauivisitor_10
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I've ridden a bike down Haleakala five times in fifteen years. This by far is the worst company of them all. I rode a bike that had serious mechanical issues, the guide told me "it was fine" and "not to worry" , while describing horrific accidents and at the end of the ride told us 14 people had died doing this tour. The guide was a local, who talked non-stop during the ride up the volcano, half of us wanted to catch a nap but he kept right on blabbing about stuff that was mostly untrue-- for example, he told us that EVERYONE upcountry raises goats and that maui has 2,000 ranches...This company has an office that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in five years, the helmets STUNK , I felt ripped off paying $150.And then this wacko ASKED us to tip him!?!?! My tip to him- not all tourists are as dumb as we might look ......

4  Thank dirtywesterner
Reviewed June 4, 2010

(Note: this is s re-submittal from my February 2010 posting which disappeared off the site. I just got a nasty, anonymous email, which obviously came from the people at Maui Mountain Cruisers. BTW - i agree with other posters who claim that any positive postings must come from these guys internally) Here's my review:

The Good - prompt pick-up at hotel, good viewing vantage points, they brought extra clothes for us, good Maui info in between

The Bad - coffee and snack at their facility were inedible, the briefing going up the hill included a strong pitch for a tip at the end of the tour (just for asking, they didn't get one from me)

The Ugly - the bikes are in terrible shape. The wheels wobble, the brakes are horrible. It's hard to imagine someone not getting seriously hurt at some point considering how fast you can get on this treck

Bottom line - I recommend doing the sunrise bike tour, just not with these guys

1  Thank 95050Cali
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Any time I am in Maui I always look forward to taking a bike trip down Haleakala with Maui Mountain Cruisers. The staff in is fun and relaxed, food is fine, and you can always count on a great experience. I have recommened this company to many friends and family and they have always come away having a great time.