“Enjoyable”

Maui Mountain Cruisers
Ranked #8 of 12 Tours in Paia
Reviewed September 8, 2009

1) Ask for Chuck & Mike as your guides. Chuck is a regular encyclopedia & quite entertaining. Mike is dry but has his moments.

2) These guys provided warm clothing, got us the best viewing location and got us biking down the mountain 1st. These are the basic requirements for this activity. I observed no other bike company accomplishing all three.

3) Great trip. Well worth the early wake up.

All reviews
"haleakala crater"
"the entire trip"
"watch the sunrise"

Reviewed August 25, 2009

First, any positive review in my opinion was planted by them.
Our experience was as follows and I beleive it little would change for someone else. 1) the "contintental breakfast" is a plastic wrapped ABC store piece of proccessed cake. Small tin coffee with powdered hydrogentated whitener. PERIOD. 2) Request for even bottled water met with great deal reluctance. 3) Not a trip from top of mountain, the park service discontinued long ago. You're drive up in van, then back to start the trip mid-mountain. M ost annoying and weird, we were literally not allowered to pedal up the one small hill on the trip, our gbuide said it was "bad for the bike crank. How rediculous.
Find another more friendly bike co.

1  Thank Ne_UsLorie
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My husband and I travel frequently and this is the most unprofessional tour company I've ever dealt with. I booked the Sunrise Bike Tour 2 weeks in advance and received a generic confirmation via e-mail. This should have been my first warning signal. After arriving at my hotel in Maui, I checked my voicemail and e-mail and heard nothing about scheduling or weather issues. However, 8 hours prior to the scheduled trip, (5:30pm the previous night), I received a voicemail message from the company stating that they OVERBOOKED the trip. Overbooked? Am I dealing with an airline or something? I was furious! When I called the next day to request my refund, the woman was friendly but offered no apology and told me they'd be willing to give me a discount if I rescheduled. As if I would give these people a dime of my money after they wasted my time? There are so many activities to do in Maui, try something else or use a more reputable company!

Reviewed January 17, 2009

What a waste of a great morning!

We arranged a Haleakala sunrise tour with Maui mountain cruisers, gave them our cell phone nos and condo information, and promptly waited outside from 2:45 AM. We kept on waiting until 3:45 just to be horribly disappointed. No pickup ever arrived. No call to let us know about any cancellation. Very disappointing.

From other reviewers this seems to be a common pain with this tour company. I would suggest to avoid Maui Mountain Cruisers. You would be better off with others.

5  Thank Yogi1234
See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2008

My family took the mid-day downhill tour. We reached the summit about 9:30 AM and it was very cold, especially when wearing shorts and t-shirts. The downhill ride also started out cold, but was plenty warm by the time it finished.

The two guides on our ride were nice and entertaining. However, we felt uncomfortable during their lecture on tipping (as we were going through the rules and guidelines for the tour). They claim 15% of the price paid is the typical tip. This was the only activity on Maui where we felt pressured into giving a tip.

Lunch at Protea Farm was expensive, especially for sandwiches and chips. Be prepared tp spend about $15 per person.

We started biking at about the 6800' level. I thought we would be biking all the way to the shore, but this tour plus two others we saw stopped the bicyclists at a church several miles from the shore. But it was still a good ride, although some people on the ride had a hard time keeping up because they were braking too much through the turns.

1  Thank spotsandfriday