“Great experience but felt a little ripped off”

Maui Mountain Cruisers
Ranked #7 of 13 Tours in Paia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Scott and Jay were excellent guides. Informative and fun, made the trip great. We booked the sunrise tour but the national parks were closed. Instead of being picked up at 2am, we were confirmed for 5am. We asked if we would still see the sunrise, which is what we were paying for and were assured we would. By the time we got to the top of the hill the sun was up and we missed it all together. We still paid for the 10 hours but were done in about 5. We only made it up to the 6,000 foot level instead of the 10,000+. Not the fault of the company that the park was closed, but we were not told in advance that the trip would be cut short or changed. It was an amazing journey down the hill. It would have been nice since we had extra time to stop at some of the points of interest talked about on the way up. maybe that would have made up for the shorter trip and missing the sunrise on the sunrise tour. It would have been a 4 or 5 star rating for the trip itself, but like I said, we felt a little ripped off.

1  Thank Curlyqmom

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Alison and I did a volcano sunrise tour and bike ride down the mountain on Maui with Mark Brizzi and Julio in late August 2013. The guys were fantastic and really made the day, we had a lot of fun and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Professional outfit that put safety first...highly recommended

1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed September 23, 2013

As many reviews suggest to do this while you still have jet lag on your first or second day after arrival. Getting picked up at 2am is tough otherwise. Going to the crater and watching the sun rise was a very spiritual experience. It can get extremely cold (like in the 20's F) at the top of the mountain. Gratefully, our guide Mark and driver Brian had warm, wind breaking clothes for us and gloves. Dress in layers! Brian kept the van warm for those who couldn't brave the cold.
We had a few novices and a few very experienced riders. Mark made an effort to make everyone feel comfortable at their level. We had Brian following us all of the way down blocking cars.
This is one of the few companies that is licensed that do not have to stay on the bike path. They are also one of the few companies that takes you all of the way down to the coast. There were a lot of groups at the top of the crater, but the last hour we never saw another group.
They do take you to a breakfast stop that is not included in the price. The restaurant does not take Amex so bring some cash or Visa or MasterCard for that. Breakfast runs about 10-12 per person.
There are some hairpin turns on the ride down. We have logged thousands of miles biking, but would still recommend a tour group to learn the road first then if you want to do it again on your own, go later in the day when the groups have left for the sunrise tours and less tourists seeing the sunrise.

1  Thank Sharron E
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The sunrise was amazing. I'm on my honeymoon and my wife and I loved the sunrise together. The ride itself was ok, the continental (they should take that out of the brochure) breakfast was two different granola bars a half a bottle of water (wish I could post a picture) a small cup of coffee. Like others have stated old vans and over packed vans. We had 16 going up to the top. On the ride home our driver Julio was darting in and out of traffic ran a red light and slammed on the brakes several times. My wife was actually worried we wouldn't make it back to the hotel. The ride itself wasn't bad, I would have rather gone with another company who gives you a bike and a map and let's you go at your own pace. We did not make one planned stop down the good part of the mountain to get great photos of any of the spectacular views. When we did stop for breakfast it was absolutely horrible! I can't state this enough, bring your own food. Unless you want to be horribly over charged and on top of that have a 5 dollar tip added for horrible service. The tour guide also talked about how much tip you should give him as well which is very tacky. Very old equipment. I think they overcharge for what they offer with their equipment that needs replaced. I would strongly suggest any other company. I could have saved 260 dollars and drove up ourselves and stopped for better sights on the way down. Very very disappointed with this company for what they charge.

1  Thank Gross213
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We did the midday tour because I just couldn't do the 2am pickup and I highly recommend it! We got picked up at 6:45am from our hotel and were taken to the base in Paia. They had coffee, water and granola bars. If you are a breakfast person like I am, I would suggest eating beforehand (which I did). I was very nervous about safety but our guides Dan and Brian made us feel very comfortable and offered us the option to ride in the van if at any point we wanted to quit. We took the drive to the top of Haleakala and the views were stunning even without the sunrise. We were never rushed and were able to really take in the views at each destination. Dan and Brian were very informative and gave us a lot of tips about other things to do and see in Maui. Our ride started with us getting used to the bikes and getting in order behind our leader Dan. Brian drive the van behind us to block any traffic. We pulled over several times to ensure everyone was okay and to let cars go by. The beginning of the bike ride is basically switchbacks and hairpin turns down but then it smooths out more. We stopped at a small town market for lunch. They had cold sandwiches/wraps or chili/rice and pizza. We then continued down through other towns and ultimately Paia to the beach. It was truly a breathtaking ride! A highlight from our trip to Maui!

1  Thank TopicalProncess