“Very disappointing”

Maui Mountain Cruisers
Ranked #7 of 14 Tours in Paia
Reviewed January 28, 2008

Despite calling to confirm my reservation several days before the trip my name was not on the list for the bus driver to pick me up. He wouldn't give me the time of day despite the fact that I had a paper print out of my reservation. He left my boyfriend and I standing in the lobby at 3:30AM wondering what had just happened and why we weren't on the bus. I tried calling the company, but of course got no answer since it was 3:30 in the morning. When I finally did get ahold of them later that day they were apologetic, but only compensated us with a token decrease in price to get up at 3:30AM again the next day. They told us that we would be supplied with windbreakers. However, they didn't mention that they would not give them to us until after we left the park. Thus, we didn't have them at the top of the volcano where it was windy and freezing while waiting for the sun to rise. The bike ride started in a cold, damp rain, but it cleared up after a couple of miles. The rest of the ride was enjoyable, but the mood for the overall experience had been set...

5  Thank computergirl_8
"downhill ride"
"haleakala crater"
"the entire trip"

Reviewed December 27, 2007

While the sunrise was incredible, I do not recommend the bike tour down (through Maui Mountain Cruisers). My husband and I took this tour the 2nd day of our honeymoon. After watching the sunrise, we were given our bikes to ride around the parking lot. I kept saying there was something wrong with my bike, and was reassured that it was fine by the tour guide. Needless to say, 10 minutes into the ride down, at 25mph, I went to brake, and the brakes failed. I went airborne into a pile of rocks. I was in the rock pile for an hour and a half before the ambulance could make it up to get me. I asked the EMT on the way to the hospital if they have ever come up for accidents, and was informed there are bike accidents at a minimum of 5 times a week. If it had been a bit down the road, I would have gone over the edge of the mountain, as there are no guardrails. The owners of Maui Mountain Cruisers showed up at the hospital the next day, drunk and accusing me of purposely messing with the brakes. I was floored! I spent 5 days in the hospital in Maui, and another 10 days in the hospital once I finally arrived back in NY. If you want to see Haleakala , drive your own vehicle up early and drive back down. Do NOT use Maui Mountain Cruisers.

24  Thank DnBEno
Reviewed November 24, 2007

For starters, they were late to pick us up because they went to the wrong hotel (and then made it out to the others on the tour that we told them incorrectly. Next, they waited in their van until every other group left and then tried to talk everyone in going down to the 6500 foot level. No one wanted to, so reluctantly they allowed us to start. Then, at the 28 mile mark, they told us to pack up our bikes, since there was a light drizzle. We went to a breakfast where other companies were eating - all then leaving to continue to the next portion to the coast - thus getting all 38 miles. We drove by them.
This may be the worst experience I have ever had. I wrote a complaint letter with much more detail, but never received any response.

6  Thank Nomad47
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Before we went to Maui we read mixed reviews of biking down the Haleakala volcano after watching the sunrise. Some people liked it and others did not, so we decided to give it a try.

In summary I would not recommend it. While there are several companies that provide this service, I don't think any of them could provide a really enjoyable event.

The problem is not with the companies themselves, it is with the limitations imposed by the narrow road and the space available. You can't stop on the way down and enjoy the scenery. You are forced to simply following in a single file line a bunch of people in front of you.

It also appears that the park service and most of the locals do not like these rides. There were many complaints in the local papers and on the news about how they are unsafe and tie up traffic. The park rangers and local police seem to be watching the rides just looking for problems. Because of this the ride companies are being overly cautious, and this takes alot of the fun out of the event.

You have to get up several hours before sunrise. There are also so many people wanting to do this, that you may have to wait for hours after sunrise before you get your chance to go down.

While it was not so bad I am asking for my money back or anything, I would instead highly recommend simply going up on your own in a car. The view from the top is amazing. You can them enjoy the mountain at your own pace.

8  Thank drw_ok
See more reviews
Reviewed July 10, 2006

The one thing that I really wanted to do in Hawaii was the sunrise bike tour from the summit to the sea. Cost was $155 but I really wanted to do it and booked it for the last day of the trip so I looked forward to it all week. I booked it through Boss Frogs and they booked it through Maui Mountain Cruisers. They told me that they would pick me up in front of my condo at 2 am. I stood out in the street from 1:50 am to 3:30am. and they never showed. They had asked for my cell phone number in case of a problem but never bothered to call. When I complained they claimed I was not there at 2:00 am when they went by or at 2:45 when they tried again. All they offered as compensation was that I could take the next day's sunrise ride for the cost of their day trip ride even though they knew I was leaving the next day. Thanks for screwing up my otherwise great vactaion!

25  Thank rlav48