“Prepare to pay $13 for a snack”
Review of Fresh Mint - CLOSED

Fresh Mint
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I know that eating out is expensive in Hawaii, but for a menu item advertised as an entree, I want to at least feel nourished. I ordered the shitake meal and counted 8 mushrooms arranged on top of 8 green beans - literally, I am not exaggerating!!! These were silver dollar sized shitakes, not palm sized portobellos or large oval oysters; this dish was the size of an appetizer, not a meal. Also, the salty hoisin sauce reminded me of something out of a jar from Safeway and the big pile of rice was clearly there to fill up the plate. I have eaten vegetarian for 25 years and I love Asian food. In my opinion, it takes more than 8 small mushrooms to make a nourishing meal. Neither the location nor the ambiance warrent the price tag.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Love this place. Really tasty food and a full vegetarian menu, to boot! I guess the downsides are atmosphere (kinda stark/diner-esque, with fluorescent lighting) and the service (polite, but often very slow, even with few customers). Hard to find outstanding Vietnamese veggie food, though, so they could probably pelt me with rocks as I was eating and I'd still go back. :)

3  Thank Spoonfeeding
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I waited all day for this place to open. Settled for a Mexican place two blocks down because Fresh Mint said they were not going to open for lunch for the month. We were really hankering for a veggie pho on the island, and were in Pai'a for the day. The pho was incredibly bland and not at all plentiful (compare this to Veggie Life in El Monte, CA). Had to dump half the bottle of soy sauce and two heaping scoops of hoisin in before it was palatable. Did not come with beansprouts--instead a plate with scant bits of mint and shredded cabbage were all that was supplied. The summer roll was acceptable, albeit a bit dry. Prices were the highlight of the meal...fair, but not cheap.

I'm impressed by the fact that someone is gutsy enough to open a veggie Viet place on the island, but please represent us vegetarians a bit better! Please don't go out of business...improve!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I'm no vegetarian, but my girlfriend is and she's been to many vegetarian restaurants and she says this was the best. We had the spring rolls and the soup, the food was delicious. Owned by husband and wife, who personally were there to serve us. Place is very small with plain, limited decor, but the food was extraordinary. For a meat eater like myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. They don't have a liquor license, we walked up the street to the liquor store and bought our own bottle of wine and brought it back to have with our dinner.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Small, friendly service, delicious food. Try the tofu " Fish" Pot. I order spicy for a little extra kick. This is a "mom and pop" place, so don't expect a high end dining experience, but the food is wonderful.

1  Thank Windslug