“OMG what a great place...”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Mama's was recommended to us by the concierge on the Pride of America as Maui's best fish restaurant, and boy is he right. We had a late lunch there today, and chose several different items to get a broad selection. Every dish was delicious, the setting of the place is a delight, right on the beach, a quaint little (huge actually) assembly of huts and sheds, tastefully decorated, and the staff were attentive and nice. I'd love to go back!!!

1  Thank Hans H

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I would have given it 4-stars because the food was good, it just wasn't like 4.5 star/one of the highest-rated restaurants on OpenTable status good, and definitely overpriced for what it is. The fish was fresh, but really lacked in flavor although I liked that it wasn't salty. The "lobster tail" was only half a lobster's tail... I'm just so disappointed. Was expecting it to be so much better and was so excited for the food. Again, it wasn't bad... and I guess if you came all the way to Maui, why not blow another $200 on dinner for one night?

1  Thank Michele W
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Best restaurant we've eaten at in Hawaii. This restaurant has a lot to live up to considering all of the hype surrounding it. It has excellent food and casual but knowledgeable servers. This is a restaurant that cannot be missed on the trip to Maui.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Mama's Fish House is located on the coast/beach less than 100 feet from the water. Our table was probably the best in the house, a single table for four set slightly apart and slightly closer to the ocean. I could not have expected a better table about anywhere. They started us off with the drink menu and they have several speciality island drink, but the wife and I got the wine bottle list and found a nice merlot from Burgess. Next was the appetizers. My party split two dishes, on the three fish sashimi and beef in a papaya dish. Both were very good. The beef in the papaya was excellent. For the main course I had the seared Ono. First time I had Ono and it was excellent. It reminded me of Ahi. It was seared and crusted. For dessert my sister had the Black Pearl dessert and it was beautiful. My wife and I had the Chocolate Pie with a caramel cookie crust. While the Chocolate Pie was not as pretty as the Black Pearl I actually like the Chocolate Pie better. Its cookie crust was so delicious. Both desserts were very good. The service at the restaurant was excellent. The waiter had to explain practically every fish because so many were fresh fish found near Hawaii and not always found elsewhere. The whole dinner was amazing. Everyone told me this would be amazing and it did not disappoint.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We were really excited for our visit to Mama's. Locals told us it was good (but they all added "but really pricey") and of course the reviews on trip advisor are glowing. The outside of Mama's is lovely; it is along a beach and there are lit torches. The complimentary valet parking is nice.

I made reservations about three weeks in advance, and if you plan to go here, I advise making reservations somewhat in advance. We walked in and waited for our table to be ready. After about ten minutes, someone came and walked us to our table. She was friendly and asked us where we were from, but when we got to our table, she literally tossed both menus in a pile on the corner of the table and kept walking - she didn't even look back! I would have expected that she would have pulled out our chairs or at least said "here is your table" or "enjoy your meal." It was SUPER weird.

The menus on our table were just drink menus, so we were kind of confused until our waitress arrived about eight minutes later. We opted to not order drinks; we had gone out for drinks together before coming to Mama's and honestly what we had just had sounded better than the items listed on the drink menu. After we said no to drinks, we were given our dinner menus. It was a little awkward and our waitress was a little pushy on the drinks.

We ordered lobster guacamole for a starter, and I got a salad and he got french onion soup. We both ordered the macadamia nut mahi mahi.

The guac and lobster was good. The lobster was a little fishy; we later had lobster tail with our mahi mahi and that was MUCH better. A server brought us bread (mediocre) and a delicious little cup of soup (that was my favorite thing all night!). My husband liked the french onion soup but said it wasn't the best he has ever had. I enjoyed the salad, but again, wasn't really "wowed." The man who filled our waters was super nice and very attentive; my water sat empty for about five minutes and as he walked by he saw me drinking my husband's water. He rushed over apologizing and refilled my water, then apologized again when we left the restaurant (which was really sweet of him). I wasn't upset the water sat empty for five minutes; seriously, he was on top of things (and I drink a lot of water). Then our meals came. The mahi mahi was good - not great. My husband had a much better cut of fish than I did. Mine had a lot of discolored and inedible, tough parts(about 1/3 of the piece of fish). I had that part boxed up and took it to a stray cat we had seen early in Paia town. The mashed potatoes were very good, and like I said, the lobster tail was delicious and very sweet. I really enjoyed the lobster.

Our waitress really pushed us to get dessert; she recommended something so we ordered that, plus a side of ice cream. My husband and I both really liked the ice cream (it was vanilla but made by Mama's), but neither of us really liked the dessert.

We tipped 20%, which I think it a generous tip, especially with a $200+ bill, but on the way out, the waitress gave us the stink eye and even though we walked right past her, she didn't say goodbye. That was weird too. We just felt that some of the service here was really odd.

Mama's is a landmark location and definitely a special occasion restaurant. Since we were on our honeymoon, we were excited to go here. I probably would not return, since I did not feel the food and service (other than the nice water guy) were equal to the prices. The food is really good, for the most part, but the prices just felt a little inflated.

2  Thank SummerLove11