“Frantastic Food with a Breath Taking View”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We spent a day on Maui and were told this was the best restaurant on the island. They weren't kidding! The service was outstanding. The food was amazing, and the sunset on their private beach was incredible. My only complaint was they were strange about taking our reservation. We initially made it for 8:15 because they said there were no earlier options. We showed up around 6 and we able to be seated right away. There were also several tables empty. I'm not sure if everyone just cancelled their reservations last minute, but either way I'd say it's worth just showing up and seeing if you can get in.

Write a ReviewReviews (11,432)

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Ok a nice setting,a little buggy depending on trade winds, very nice selection of seafood and local fare, ambiance is near perfect setting,island service, sit eat relax,

Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was quite possibly the best dinner I had during my two weeks in Maui! Food was delicious and the view is spectacular. It's definitely worth the price!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Food is great (although you can get equivalent at a better value elsewhere); atmosphere is unbeatable, however, we experienced a rude dismissive bartender while waiting for a table and an overselling waitress.

While waiting at the bar, a very young couple (most likely on honeymoon) sauntered up (with visions of Gilligan's Island in their minds) and asked if they served any "drinks in a coconut". The bartender was dismissive and rude and said something like "maybe you can get those at a hotel but I can serve you something in a curvy glass". This was after he asked my 20.5 year old daughter for her ID after I gave her one sip of my ($15!) tropical drink. Drink was delicious, attitude was not.

At dinner our waitress spent about 2 minutes selling us on the fish special of the day ($54), it was her favorite, the best fish on the menu, etc. etc. When she came back to take our order, 2/4 of us had decided to order it but we were then informed they were out. The waitress then spent another two minutes trying to sell us on another similar fish ("caught at 600 feet not 800 feet like the special, so even more tender") which turned out to be her real favorite fish, even more delicious, etc. There was reams of other rote memorization selling.

This review is picky, but for the prices paid, one would expect excellence in every aspect of the experience. It appears that management has spent more time basking in the glow of their positive reviews than managing their rank and file to deliver a good experience.

Would I go again? Probably not. We found many other excellent restaurants where the food was as good and the waitstaff were friendly. Whatever goodness was delivered by the physical atmosphere was diminished by the staff..

2  Thank Kley P
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

This place has the best seafood. Their signature mahi mahi dish is absolutely delicious. Ocean view table was wonderful. Request for one.