“Extravagant Food at Extravagant Prices”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Chicago, Illinois
“Extravagant Food at Extravagant Prices”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Visited Maui for the first time last month and heard so many people tell us that we had to dine at Mama's Fish House, so our group of 4 (two couples) went there for dinner!

Let me start out by saying that the atmosphere of this restaurant was excellent--it is beautiful--very large, right on the beach, tables inside in a sort of open air area, as well as outdoor seating. Also, the service was impeccable--for the 4 of us, we must have had at least 6 or more people attending to us.

As this is a fish restaurant, the menu not only lists the preparation of the item, but also tells you the fisherman who caught it and the area it came from. The fish was very fresh tasting and was prepared excellently. Each of us had a different item and all of them were very good. We also shared an appetizer of lobster guacamole (chunks of lobster in fresh guacamole) and wasabi crusted fried calamari---both very well worth the choice!

However, beware that with such beautiful ambience and some of the freshest fish around comes a large price tag! Our dinner for 4 which included appetizers, dinner, a round of cocktails, and one dessert split amongst the four of us was $570 with tip. Was it worth it? Yes and no---am I glad I went there---yes, in my opinion it was a definite must see while in Maui, did I enjoy my experience and dinner--yes, I most certainly did---do I need to dine there again---probably not!

1 Thank Dawn G G

• Korean first
  • Polish first
“Awesome Experience!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We went to Mama's on our honeymoon after my mom recommended we do so after seeing it on the Food Network. I'm so glad she saw it! We were staying in Lahaina, about 45 minutes away from Mama's Fish House, so without her recommendation, we probably would never have ventured out there. Thanks, Mom!

The restaurant's location and ambiance is phenomenal! It is exactly what you picture beachside dinning in Hawaii to be. The service was beyond outstanding. Our waiter was very knowledgable about the menu and the different fish offerings, helping me to make my choice. My husband, who doesn't like seafood, had quite a few options to pick from. The waiter assured him his choice, the short ribs, was a great one and he wouldn't be disappointed. He was not! I'm not a drinker and opted for just water. My glass was never half empty (major props to the young man there!).

Dessert was out of this world! Don't miss your chance to try the passion fruit creme brûlée! Best thing I've eaten in Maui!

Well worth the price as a splurge!

Kansas City
“Fourteen Years of Loyalty”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Mama's and Maui go hand-in-hand to me, and I just enjoyed my sixth visit to Mama's Fish House during my most recent trip to the island. It remains hands-down my favorite restaurant anywhere. The atmosphere and service are impeccable and the food and the view are exquisite. On this visit, however, I noticed the prices had gone up considerably from last year. One of the two steak options on the menu was $74. Now, I know when I go to Mama's it's going to be expensive and I'm glad to pay it because of the overarching experience the restaurant provides. But one member of my group found this price-point to be a deal-breaker. He had planned to order steak but decided that was far too steep. He opted instead for duck, which was in the $40 range. I can't say I blame him. I'm still a huge fan who enthusiastically recommends Mama's, and I will make a reservation the next time I'm on Maui. But if prices go up again this much in another year, I may need to reevaluate my relationship with a restaurant I've been visiting for 14 years.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Food, but Expensive for Portions”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I were on our way to the Road to Hana. We stopped by Mama's Fish House as it was likely the last place we'd see for awhile (we talked to another couple, who frequents Mama's Fish House, that booked their reservation a year in advance). The setting is spectacular, sitting right on the north shore of Maui. The food was excellent, but a bit pricey for lunch. My only complaint was that the wait staff removed my plate twice before I had finished eating. Not a huge deal, but a little annoying because the portions were small to begin with.

Onancock, Virginia
“SURPRISINGLY FORMAL AND CASUAL AT SAME TIME.”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We only read about this place in the "Road to Hana" tour books. Knowing that lots of folks stop there for supper after driving the Road (and hiking and swimming and sweating), and given the name "Mama's Fish House," we really expected a quick, cheap bite at picnic tables or something very rustic. Boy, were we surprised when we pulled up to the restaurant and saw the "Valet Parking" sign. We almost turned around. Embarrassed, we asked the greeter if we were dressed appropriately (bathing suits and T-Shirts -- and we looked a mess!). The greeter told us that lots of folks go in to the restaurant like that (and we saw plenty of others who were doing the same thing we were doing).

This place is absolutely beautiful. On the beach with Palm Trees and outrigger canoes and tiki torches (not at all tacky -- just beautiful). Service is great and food is even better. The little touches make the meal extra special. I ordered the fish curry, which was delicious on its own, but they included four "toppings" or "mix-ins" so that I could change each bite if I wanted to. There was a spicy sauce, and another sauce I don't remember, and then, surprisingly, crushed macadamias and bananas. The "toppings" not only changed the flavor, but the texture.

We also had cocktails before the meal. Don't miss their version of the Mai Tai (named something about relaxing after driving the road). Also, dessert was incredible. I had the Lillikoi Creme Brule on the server's recommendation. Don't normally like Creme Brule, but this one is special with Passion Fruit (Hawaiians call Passion Fruit Lillikoi). Everything was great.

Only down side is that the restaurant is very expensive. Worth every dime, but, if you are expecting a "Fish House" experience, there will be sticker shock. But, don't let your own attire or road worn experience stop you trying this place at the end of a long and exhausting day on the Road to Hana!

2 Thank eddieswain4