“Transported to the South Pacific”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 43 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I don't care how many times I've enjoyed Mama's Fish house over the last 40 years, I always love the experience. When they first opened they were about 1/4 or 1/3 the size they are now. I SO enjoy the 'appetizer', walking down the path to the spectacular view of the ocean and little waves frolicking over the rocks, hearing the rustle of palm fronds dancing in the breeze and then entering the doors of Maui's "South Pacific". Ready for the 'main course', walking into the restaurant is a sight for sore eyes with dazzling tropical flower arrangements, native wood and tapa cloth abounding. It's difficult to beat the view sitting at a window front table. Again, I feel like I'm in Tahiti. Maybe Huahine. The food was delicious as usual. I'm the kind of girl that has worn the same color nail polish for 20 years (well different shades of coral). So don't be surprised when I tell you I ALWAYS order the Hawaiian Ceviche (really more like a poison cru). It makes my mouth water just writing about it. I enjoyed the fresh fish of the day and then, stuck in the mud 'Mel' (that would be me) orders a Kuau Pie (and one to go for breakfast the next day!). I honestly cannot think of any other dessert that I love more than Kuau Pie. I love it so much there is a good chance I will go down and get one today. So much for the gluten free diet!! My friends Beth and Karl were at the table next to us and we all had a good chat. Lovely lovely lovely evening. Thank you Mama's, for making life on Maui better for those of us who live here and the lucky visitors the enjoy dining with you. Make reservations EARLY, even before you get to Maui, for best seating options as many lunch and dinner times completely book up in advance. I make reservations for all of my clients before they arrive on Maui!

7  Thank MelissaMcCoy
Write a ReviewReviews (12,443)

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have eaten at seafood restaurants all over the world and this is hands-down my favorite place. Yeah, it's over-priced, touristy, crowded and all of the other negatives from other reviewers, but I would put up with larger crowds and even higher prices to eat here. The setting is beautiful, the fish is the freshest - the menu lists the fisherman, time and place where it was caught. Do not pass up the appetizers.
The first time we went there in 2010, you could walk in and get a seat. Now, they won't even park your car without a reservation, so plan well in advance.
There's a very good reason for the price and popularity - it really is THAT good.

2  Thank David H
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Beautiful scenery, friendly staff and delicious food. Can't beat it! A lovely stop on the way upcountry. You won't be sorry even if it's just a quick stop for a drink.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have gone to Mama's many times and its the highlight of many of our trips to Maui. The fresh fish, the beautiful views, the nice drive to get to Mama's all makes this an outstanding experience. Service is good.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We would never have found Mama's Fish House if our travel agent, Melissa McCoy (McCoy Travel) had not put this on our agenda. She made the reservations and even told them it was our anniversary. It exceeded our expectations in all areas! Location/setting: Gorgeous. Ambience/decor: relaxed, yet upscale. Food & drinks: Incredible! This place pays attention to ALL details!

2  Thank John K