“The traditional Hawaiian plate was excellent”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Mama's is certainly an icon, and everyone you speak to who has been to Maui always asks if you ate at Mama's. I eat there at least once everytime I go to Maui, because I love the setting and the food. I had the traditional Hawaiian plate this time and everything on the plate (except the poi) was delicious. I have yet to try poi that tasted good : ) I recommend Mama's to anyone who is headed to Maui. The only thing that I found a little annoying this last time was the tableside manner of the waiter. I'm not sure specifically what it was about him, but he had some sort of southern accent and he was annoying.

Write a ReviewReviews (11,607)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Who can add anything important to a review of this place? We're all blown away by its location, consistency, food quality. Running a restaurant is hard enough, but keeping a restaurant like this going for decades is IMPOSSIBLE. But somehow, Mama, who appears to be a real person who rides camels and sends out your amuse bouche, has managed to keep it up since 1973.
It must be fun to work here, because the staff are patient, cheerful, and completely on point ... while being relaxed and tolerant. They appear to care whether you are having a good time and getting the food you want. The daily menu tells where your fish was caught ...and by whom.
We're food tourists -- we go places to eat great new food -- and Mama's knocked us out. Opakapaka cheeks caught right offshore, and Maui onion soup? Weeks later, this is the meal that stands out.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We spent 10 days in Hawaii and ate many meals at many excellent restaurants, but Mama's was by far the best meal we had during our entire vacation. Besides the most delicious seafood, the views are breathtaking and an excellent place to snap some great pictures, and the staff are top notch. We can't wait to go back! It was one of our most expensive meals, but absolutely worth it. The only thing that got me a little was $19 for the kid's meals, but we split one between our two kids and there was plenty of fish and fruit for both of them.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

On a friend's recommendation my husband and I stopped at Mama's Fish House for lunch while recently vacationing on Maui. Knowing how popular it is we took a chance going without a reservation, but fortunately we were seated as soon as we arrived. The setting, smack on a stretch of beach with swaying palms and aqua waters, is quintessentially Hawaiian. The interior of the space is purely Hawaiian as well--bamboo and rattan furniture, blue batik table linens, and walls of pictures of famous people who have all dined at Mama's.
Since it was lunchtime and we wanted to sample much of what Mama's had to offer, we ordered an array of appetizers rather than main entrées. Definitely the way to go.
We started with two cold appetizers-- Lobster Guacamole and Sashimi Goat Cheese Salad. Served in a martini glass with three different kinds of thinly sliced homemade chips, the lobster (from Maine) was succulent and the guacamole had a nice little kick. The sashimi salad turned out to be a great choice and ideal for sharing.
The hot "starters" came out next--Shrimp Wontons and Crispy Ahi Rolls. The shrimp wontons were large prawns, resembling fried shrimp more than they were any kind of wontons. That was probably our least favorite dish. But the ahi rolls with mango dipping sauce more than made up for it. They were terrific!
For dessert we opted for the coconut lime sorbet. While the favors were nice the sorbet lacked creaminess. The biscotti served with it, however, was scrumptious.
It's definitely pricey but because it was so good in every way, the $120 price tag (including tip) goes down easy. Mama's is an institution on Maui and rightly so. The owners, a couple originally from California, bought the property for a song in the '70s after sailing the Pacific in their own sailboat. Their dream of opening a restaurant (they also own a small inn on the property) came true when they bought the property and existing place. It was one of the most memorable dining experiences we've ever had--we live in NYC so that's saying a lot. In a coconut shell, my advice is to walk, run, sail or swim on over to Mama's!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

When we made plans to return to Maui (after a long absence) for a special anniversary, I immediately thought of going to Mama's for dinner. the food and atmosphere was as good as I remembered. Food well prepared (but rather pricey). Staff very knowledgeable and friendly. We were rather perplexed when diners around us received sorbet to cleanse their palates between courses but we did not. No big deal but wondered if some waiters were more attentive than others. Overall would recommend Mama's for a special occasion.

1  Thank Pamjambc