“Moana Cafe”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway
Transit: Bus - 35 - Haiku Islander. Get off in Paia and walk up Baldwin Avenue.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Highly recommend! I've lived on Maui for over 30 years and am rarely impressed with the dining scene so I was pleasantly surprised to find that Moana Cafe is offering some very creative food. We had a salad ( the one with goat cheese). Very nice touch with the roasted pumpkin. Hamada mushrooms wit h black garlic.....we kept the bowl and wiped it clean of the yummy butter. Ribs with cinnamon chocolate sauce. Ahhhh, then the seared ahi with the large pearl couscous....lemony. You may be thrown by plate size - they're small and medium, but priced accordingly They don't pile it on but it's so flavorful it didn't seem to matter. This restaurant just made my A list . One last thing: it is loud just because it is a very old building with high ceilings but we were told there are plans to mitigate this.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The last meal of our two week vacation in Maui happened at Moana Bakery almost by accident. We found a parking place across the street during a driving rainstorm. We are very glad for the accident because we enjoyed an amazing meal for five at a reasonable price. Moana concentrates on using the best possible and most local ingredients in their dishes. Our meal began with a delicious vegetable bisque built around cauliflower and saffron. My main course was ahi poke over a bed of mixed greens and soba noodles made in-house. The combination was stunning. This was the best ahi poke we had, including some from five-star restaurants in Lahaina. My grandkids shared a dish made with taro leaf and several other local ingredients and eated with in-house taro chips: they loved it. My daughter and her husband shared a dish of orange curry fish that was five-star. It was a real surprise to find this five-star restaurant in little Paia. I can hardly wait to get back to Maui and have another meal here.

1  Thank ChristopherO99
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Excellent brunch. I would stop here again before heading out on the road. Nice waitstaff. I enjoyed a bowl with a fried egg on top which also had rice, and other veggies & meat.

1  Thank patticakesTemple_TX
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My fiancé and I went to Moana Bakery & Cafe for Valentine's Day breakfast and were less than thrilled with our dining experience. We first ordered coconut mochas and got what tasted like not very good coconut hot chocolates - there was definitely no coffee in our drinks! And our breakfast entrees were not much better. My fiancé ordered the loco moco and it was extremely salty - he actually bit down on chunks of salt! And I ordered the Valentine's Day special - raspberry french toast - and was surpised that there were no actual raspberries in the meal, just a lot of very pink cream cheese. The service was less than stellar - our waitress was rather distracted and paid more attention to her phone than us. Not a good experience - maybe an off day for the Moana Bakery & Cafe, but it was definitely not a good start to our Valentine's Day.

Yulie L, Owner at Moana Bakery & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Friends from Canada,

I apologize for your experience at Moana. The hand-held devices my servers use are strictly for placing orders directly through the POS system. I will advise my servers to communicate that to our guests in the future.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I were scheduled to ride bikes down Haleakala at 9:00 in the morning with Maui Sunriders. We decided to get to Paia early so we could have breakfast before heading out. Moana Bakery & Cafe is in the same building as Maui Sunriders so we decided to eat there. What a treat. My wife ordered the Surfer Omelette and I ordered the Banana-Macadamia Nut pancakes. We let our waitress know that we needed to be done by 9:00 because we were going on the ride and she said that it would be no problem. Several minutes later she apologized that the kitchen printer wasn't online so the orders just got in and brought us a complementary scone while we waited. The scone was delicious. One of the best I've ever had. Our breakfast was delivered shortly after we finish the scone and the presentation was amazing. Decorative cut fruit and fresh basil sprigs adorned the omelette. The pancakes weren't as beautifully presented, but banana and macadamia nuts don't need much help in that area. Everything tasted fantastic and the home fries were crisp on the outside and so creamy on the inside. The only complaint is that after finishing our breakfast we were too full to try one of the gorgeous french pastries. Maybe next time. I highly recommend Moana Bakery & Cafe. The food is great and the service is very friendly.

2  Thank Allan R