“Holy Coconut Syrup, Batman” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charley's Restaurant

Charley's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Luna Place
Description: Paia maintains its small-town, old Hawaii charm, and is now a bustling destination with restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee and gelato. At Charley’s you never know who might be sitting next to you. It’s long been a favorite hang-out for surfers, adventurers, writers, hippies, rock stars, artists, business leaders, celebrities, and all types, looking to get away and find the ultimate in Maui hospitality.
Lakeland, Florida
“Holy Coconut Syrup, Batman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

A favorite of Willie Nelson, Woody Harrelson, Rachael Rae and one of mine as well. The breakfast is perfect and close on a small to the beach. It is inconspicuously located on the main drag in the town of Paia. The service is fast and the food is good. It was my first experience using coconut syrup on my macadamia nut pancakes. It's a great stop after seeing the Haleakala sunrise or a precursor to a day at the Baldwin Park beach. Stay and visit the shops. This is one of ten must eat experiences on Maui. A local recommended the burgers as well.

Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
"Perfect" is just the kind of word we love to see used to describe our breakfasts, Jonathan. I'm really happy to hear you're such a fan of ours! Particularly the macadamia pancakes with coconut syrup -- that's definitely a specialty of ours. Thanks so much for this great review. I hope we'll see you again next time you find yourself in Paia!

Best,

Houston, Texas
“Stay Away. Try something else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Service is terrible. We were completely ignored at the door for 10 minutes. Hostesses and servers passed by without a glance or word. Two servers seemed very busy and definitely uninterested in more business. Our party of 5 was stunned, gave up and left. Restaurant was 1/8 full for breakfast.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank loveSPG
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
I'm deeply disappointed to read that we showed you such poor service on your recent visit, and I regret that you left with such a poor impression of us. I want you to know that we'd never intentionally keep someone waiting like this, and that, somehow, you must have been overlooked because of some miscommunication among the staff as to who was supposed to be helping you. For that, I sincerely apologize. Please rest assured that we'll work to ensure that there are no more incidents like this -- we don't want anyone to be kept waiting.

Again, I'm sorry for the poor experience. I hope that, if you ever find yourself back in Paia, you'll give us another chance. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Will you please respond to let me know what date and approx. time this occurred.
This is the only way for me to figure out what happened. You can respond via Yelp or directly to my email - jonathan@charleysmaui.com

colorado
“Nice place for family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stopped here for lunch one day--all 11 of us. The food and atmosphere were decent. Prices reasonable for island fare. Would stop by again.

Visited June 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
I'm happy to hear you liked us so much, Jerry. Good food, a fun atmosphere, and reasonable prices are what we're all about, and it's great to hear you were so satisfied. Thanks again for this great review -- I hope you'll stop in again if you're ever back on Maui!

Best,
New York City, New York
“Go for the pancakes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Buttermilk pancakes at $5 each are the size of a dinner plate. One is enough. They are served with traditional maple syrup or coconut syrup - both are very good. If you are in the mood for pancakes go to Charley's.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Glad to hear you're such a fan of our huge, delicious pancakes, Elaine! Here's hoping you'll visit us from New York again sometime soon for more!

California
“Good enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Abundant breakfast portions, with a (single) macadamia nut pancake that’s probably the equivalent of three standard pancakes anywhere else. The place looks a bit, worn, shall we say? But that's in keeping with the character of Pai’a and its old, historical buildings.

Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Glad you liked your breakfast so much! Those pancakes are pretty huge, I have to agree. (And delicious, if I do say so myself.)

We are a fairly old school, no frills kind of place, but we're glad to see that you think we fit into the atmosphere of Paia so well. Our building was built in 1926!!

That said, if there's anything you thought we could have done better, don't hesitate to reach out. We're always looking to improve, and we always appreciate constructive feedback.

Thanks again for stopping in and for leaving this review -- hope we see you again next time you visit Maui!