“Good enough”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Luna Place
Description: Paia maintains its small-town, old Hawaii charm, and is now a bustling destination with restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee and gelato. At Charley’s you never know who might be sitting next to you. It’s long been a favorite hang-out for surfers, adventurers, writers, hippies, rock stars, artists, business leaders, celebrities, and all types, looking to get away and find the ultimate in Maui hospitality.
California
“Good enough”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Abundant breakfast portions, with a (single) macadamia nut pancake that’s probably the equivalent of three standard pancakes anywhere else. The place looks a bit, worn, shall we say? But that's in keeping with the character of Pai’a and its old, historical buildings.

Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Glad you liked your breakfast so much! Those pancakes are pretty huge, I have to agree. (And delicious, if I do say so myself.)

We are a fairly old school, no frills kind of place, but we're glad to see that you think we fit into the atmosphere of Paia so well. Our building was built in 1926!!

That said, if there's anything you thought we could have done better, don't hesitate to reach out. We're always looking to improve, and we always appreciate constructive feedback.

Thanks again for stopping in and for leaving this review -- hope we see you again next time you visit Maui!

Seattle, Washington
“Good Lunch spot?”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

we had a party of 5 stop in,the place had only 3 other patrons and it took awhile to get acknowledged with menu's etc.I guess its just '' the island way''. The beers was cold,the drinks wew weak that we had to buy shots to bolster the mai-tais and the food was ok.One leaves with the ''ok been here ,done that''.It must have been shift change in the kitchen as the off going cook had his sock and crocs on .gets off shift sits at the bar in flip-flops and his dirty greasy socks hanging out his back pocket..hello folks are eating here..lol

• Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
I'm glad you liked it here overall, Rico, though I'm disappointed to see a few of your comments. I'm sorry to hear that it took a little while longer than it should have for you to be served, but I'm particularly disappointed that you were put off by the cook's socks. You should only expect cleanliness from every member of our staff, and we'll make sure to address this in the future. I see you're based in Seattle, but I hope you'll come see us again next time you're in Hawaii.

Best,
King City, Canada
“Not all it's cracked up to”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were disappointed, it did not impress us. It felt like a road house sport bar and was not what we were looking for. Food was ok, like a road house fried food place.

Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
I'm sorry that we weren't what you were expecting, Kelly. I'm glad to see you at least enjoyed your food, but we never want anyone to be disappointed when they come to us, and I regret that you were. Most of our guests enjoy the laid-back atmosphere, but we know it's not for everyone. I see you're based in Canada, but I hope you'll give us another chance if you're ever back in Hawaii.

Dallas, Texas
“Great Bar”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Not about anything except the history smells great. Musicians come here like a Temple. It is said Dylan came by in disguise on his recent gig on Maui. The ghosts appear. Pizza is great. French fries! Beer and all that you can drink for the 60 foot waves of surfing videos that play. All day. The bar is 50 feet long. I was there one night when Willie sang like a record. Haha. The best time is....Every night. Especially open mic this place rocks with all the musicians who play the beach. You love the fans. Burger sucks.

Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
I'm glad to hear you're such a fan of our place and it's history! Not to mention almost all of the food. We can't comment on whether or not Dylan swang by, but Willie's definitely a big fan -- glad to hear you got to see him! I see you're from Dallas, but I hope you'll be back again to see us soon.

Eastsound, Washington
“Thanks Katie”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Dropped into Charley's with Dad for a couple drinks with Dad during his visit. We sat at one of the high top tables in the bar area. I've been to Charley's many times over the years. I've even seen Willie Nelson perform there. This place feels more authentic when compared to its new neighbor Rock'n Brews. Its a cool place and they support live local music and breakfast here is consistently good. We hung out and had a a couple of Lahaina Town Brown Ales; a nice seasonal MBC brew. Kinda like an adult Root Beer. We bantered around with Katie from Montana, our server. Fun times!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank TravellingGormound
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Great to hear that you and your Dad enjoyed us so much! And thanks for being a regular -- it means a lot to us. Nice choice on those Brown Ales, by the way.

I'll be sure to let Katie know what you had to say, too -- I'm sure she'll be glad to hear that you enjoyed your bantering!

See you soon,