“Great Place”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Luna Place
Description: Paia maintains its small-town, old Hawaii charm, and is now a bustling destination with restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee and gelato. At Charley’s you never know who might be sitting next to you. It’s long been a favorite hang-out for surfers, adventurers, writers, hippies, rock stars, artists, business leaders, celebrities, and all types, looking to get away and find the ultimate in Maui hospitality.
Spokane, Washington
“Great Place”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Great place for a beer and very good food. The shrimp scampi was wonderful. Loved the atmosphere and the servers were great.

• Visited March 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thanks! I'm glad you thought the shrimp scampi was wonderful. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their great service as well. Hope you get a chance to visit Paia again soon!

Take care,

beautiful bc
“Charlie's Paia downhill”
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Family of four - we arrived to a sign stating please wait to be seated, waited a long time and it wasn't very busy. Have been to Charlie's a few times (5 and 7 years ago). We found the service has gone down hill. Very slow and wait staff reaching over people to place food instead of walking around the table to place it. I was actually nervous hot food would be dropped on my kids.
Food... Slow to arrive and mediocre. Best thing at our table was the onion rings - if you go try them!
One of us has the chili and it was good. Burgers average.
Unless something changes we won't go back.

• Visited March 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Considering you usually enjoy visiting us, I'm really sorry to hear that you think our service is going downhill. That's definitely not the direction where we want to be heading. Do you mind letting me know the date and time you visited? I can be reached at Jonathan at CharleysMaui dot com. I want to discuss your experience with the staff so that we can better serve our guests going forward.

Best,
Eureka, California
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Loved the setting, burger and quinoa salad! Great food and generous portions! Price was very fair for quality and portion. Great fun setting and memorabilia. Lots of local folks were there.

Visited March 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thanks Simone! It's nice to know you thought the burger and quinoa salad were both tasty and affordable. That's the goal!

Hope you get a chance to visit again soon!

All the best,
Oakland, California
“"This is this!"”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Charley's is what it is—a bar. I didn't know about the Willie Nelson connection until after stumbling on Charley's for the first time. Could not care less either way. It had two things that we wanted: beer & bar food. And it delivered. Excellent beer selection. Bar food is exactly what you want it to be. Like finding that perfect pub with perfectly ordinary but warm pub food on a miserably rainy day in Scotland. Only here, the day is likely to be gloriously beautiful.

I know others here have complained about the staff, but OMG, I love them. I think they are friendly and accommodating and can be very talkative. This is one part of local Hawaii that is as far away from the Grand Wailea as possible, and you should not miss it. In this bar, as a tourist, you are an outsider. They will make you feel as welcome as you want them to, as welcome as you want to be, if what you want is to appreciate being in a cool, laid-back, comfortable-as-a-worn-out-pair-of-jeans place in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Bring your traveler persona, and leave your tourist bad self outside.

Been here as a couple, solo, and family, all good. Been here crowded in the evening, and quiet in a lazy afternoon. Both are nice, though I prefer the latter. With great music playing in the background, the locals relaxing, it is a different kind of place to relax and enjoy being human.

• Visited June 2013
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thanks Greg! It's nice to know you think we delivered. I'm also so glad to hear that our staff was so warm, welcoming and attentive. We genuinely want everyone to enjoy Paia, whether they're tourists or life-long locals. Hope you get a chance to visit again soon!

All the best,
“Omg slow”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Wait staff was horrible, would not recommend. Food was mediocre @ best, tables were sticky. Ordered appetizers of bbq sliders, so so

2 Thank Lillian W
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Lillian,

I'm really sorry to hear you experienced poor service. I completely understand how frustrating it is to wait a long time to receive your food. Do you mind letting me know the date and time you visited? I can be reached at Jonathan at CharleysMaui dot com. I want to discuss your experience with our staff who was in that day.

Best,