“Good food, a lot of character”

Charley's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Luna Place
Description: Paia maintains its small-town, old Hawaii charm, and is now a bustling destination with restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee and gelato. At Charley’s you never know who might be sitting next to you. It’s long been a favorite hang-out for surfers, adventurers, writers, hippies, rock stars, artists, business leaders, celebrities, and all types, looking to get away and find the ultimate in Maui hospitality.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Apparently Willie Nelson loves this place an has performed there. He also donated some of his memorabilia. The food was good. Hamburger was huge. Waitress was older lady who is who she is. No fake niceness, but it was good. Go there if you get a chance. The place has a lot of character.

Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thanks for your review. I'm glad to know you enjoyed your hamburger and appreciated our fun, colorful atmosphere. Many of our servers have been with us for over 15 and 30 years!!
I hope you had a fantastic trip to Maui, and I look forward to your next visit.

Take care,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The food at Charley's was great. I had breakfast there on my last morning in Maui and it lived up to its reputation. Nice atmosphere and I liked the story of about Willie Nelson and liked the BIG guitar. I only wish I could have eaten there a few times. I will have to go back!

Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thanks for recommending us! It's nice to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and thought we lived up to our reputation. How was your trip to Maui? I hope you had a wonderful time, and I look forward to your next visit.

All the best,

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We should have known better to come in here a bit late on a Friday night after returning from our Road to Hana (RTH) trip. We were exhausted and didn't want to wait too long. The other restaurants rated well by Yelp were all packed, leaving us with this place after finding other places closed nearby. This was one of the few restaurants that was not that busy in Paia, and there was this awful noise coming from there too (that in a minute).

First of all, the food is OK. Three of us had burgers and my daughter had a Hawaiian pizza, and each of our meals were fine. Don't worry about having an awful meal, that part of it was acceptable.

The restaurant itself is a shell of its former self, I think. It has a western style, with a huge bar in the back (accompanied by a huge guitar sitting against the wall as some sort of decoration). Apparently the claim to fame was a Willie Nelson concert here a long time ago, and maybe he shows up from time to time too? It looks really old and outdated.

The booth we sat in had torn seats, with the foam showing through. It was that hard kind of plastic covering, so sitting in shorts on the seat was actually uncomfortable - it kind of hurt sitting along the rips.

The service was handled by a very cute girl, but she didn't seem all that interested in being there. We waited for a few minutes before the busser brought us waters and silverware. He didn't even look us in the eye or say anything. It took us a while to get our drinks ordered, and even longer to actually order. The food came quickly though, but she continued to be missing in action for most of our meal for drink re-fills, etc.

The bar had live music as well, but this was probably the most awful musician we have heard in a while. Actually, we really thought this guy was part of a karaoke music show to begin with! Seriously! He was playing a ukulele and singing songs that were not appropriate to that particular instrument (like the Black Crowes). His singing voice was OK when he didn't try to hit the high pitched sounds, which he did all the time unfortunately. He also tried to do some ukulele solos to the music, which was atrocious. By the end of his set, the whole bar area had cleared out.

I read one review that Willie might actually be a part-owner? I hope not. If that's the case, I would be embarrassed if I were him.

Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for your detailed review. I'm sorry you just had an okay time dining with us. We want all our guests to have a great experience, and we would've been more than happy to reseat you to a more quiet area or to a more comfortable booth. I'm also sorry you weren't impressed with our food either. We prepare our burgers with 100% natural, all Hawaiian beef so that they taste fresh, tender and delicious. I'll be sure to use your feedback to improve going forward.

Best,

Reviewed December 20, 2012

had lunch there this past November and what a surprise! delicious food in a pub atmosphere owned by Willie et all. hear the breakfasts here are mo betta than any on the island.

1  Thank lckt13
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thanks for your review! Glad to know you love our fish and chips that much. Hope you get a chance to try our breakfast sometime soon!

Best,

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stopped in before our ride to "Hana"...great food...a little $$ but what isn’t? Order the macadamia pancakes…so yummie!

Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thanks! Glad to know you loved the macadamia pancakes. We take advantage of local macadamias and coconuts so that the pancakes taste amazing every time.

How was your ride to Hana? I hope you enjoyed the beautiful scenery and stop by for breakfast again soon.

Take care,