You don't want to stay here. You might want to stop by and pet the nice cats and the sweet dog. You might want to look at the beautiful view from the grounds which is even prettier than on their website.
You might enjoy the capacious living room and kitchen in Spyglass house proper.
HOWEVER. The house next door on the same property is not in great shape. We stayed in the "garden room" for just under $200 a night. It was a garage. It really was. Once. And rehabbed, well, it is still a garage. With ants, gecko poop, spiders, mosquitos, very hot, long and narrow, uncomfortable bedding, dusty, ants parading in large and long armies in the shower that looks like it was once an outdoor wash the sand off your feet shower. The upper areas of it are boarded with ply wood. the beams have spider webs.
view was of dirt patch and broken bench.
hot tub was broken.
the kitchen in this unit was also ant infested.
The front units with shared bathrooms were merely small and hot but were actual rooms.
We looked at rooms in the main house - hated to lose one nights stay and were trying to find options - ouldnt possibly spend two nights in the garage room, oops garden room. In the main house down stairs rooms were small, tub no shower, nicer but very tiny and very close to other rooms. upstairs rooms were also very tiny and opened directly into owners living room area, no privacy at all.
all bathrooms lacking, cleanliness hit and miss, not worth the pricel.
I am not a big resort person, prefer b and b's and off the beaten track - but we went over to the maui prince in south maui, paid slightly less, had gorgeous clean room with ocean view.
they were nice enough here to give me one of two remaining nights (had booked three) money back, altho honestly considering the condition of the room we should've been refunded both remaining nights. They were not mean about us leaving, they understood (I doubt we were the first to bail on the garage room) and the cats and dog were really nice.
do not book the garage room, unless of course, you are a car that likes to sleep in a bed.
Oh, and the beaches on this part of the island, other than the pretty little one at Mama's Fish House down the road, are full of slimy algae.
you really do want to stay in west or south maui i think. Paia is a cool little town tho. fun to check out for lunch or on way to Hana.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Spyglass Maui Rentals are two, well cared for homes, right next door to each other, in the middle of all of the North Shore beaches and less than a mile from Paia town, in a local, residential neighborhood. The closest beach access is a 5 minute walk away. The houses are owned by a two good friends and long time Maui residents, Liam McCormick and Poni Brendan, who call themselves family. Our on-sight manager, Sabrina, and full time housekeeper, Patti are here to assist you. The rentals are clean, comfortable and will make you feel like you are spending time in a "home away from home" rather than in a resort hotel. The Gingerbread House, at the rear of the property, is a very unique, two story, one bedroom house with a lanai off the second floor bedroom and an outdoor patio on the ground level. It has a jetted tub in the first floor bathroom. The Green Turtle House can be rented as a ONE or TWO bedroom house and can accommodate up to 6 guests when rented as a TWO bedroom. In our older reviews and on Google there is mention of the Bicycle Inn/House and the beachfront "Spyglass House". These are no longer our properties. The Gingerbread House and Green Turtle House have been under new management since the fall of 2014. The most current reviews of our properties can be found on Airbnb and VRBO. In our rentals, we try to provide everything that you will need to enjoy your vacation and leave your cares at home. Our focus is to create a lovely environment so that our guests can have a wonderful base from which to enjoy their vacation and explore all that is beautiful and special about Maui. Please contact us if you need additional information or have specific questions. During your stay, we are on-site and happy to help. Mahalo! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Spyglass Maui Rentals reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spyglass House Rentals Hotel Paia
- Spyglass Maui Rentals Paia