All I can say is "wow." UNBELIEVABLE PRIVACY AND STUNNING OCEAN VIEWS!!! The place was not a five star hotel. We stayed in the Dolphin House. We were two couples who shared the front half of the house for a very reasonable price.
QUICK STORY - We had a terrible beginning in Maui. We planned to go camping, but we arrived on Maui at night and had no idea what to expect. We went to Olowalu campground first and found it to be extremely sketchy with what appeared to be a homeless person shelter campsite. People gave us the run-around and were very sketchy. We then drove to Lahaina and after several hours of calling hotels and not finding what we wanted, spent the night in the rental car in Long's Drugs parking lot. The next day, we resumed calling hotels after our molokini cruise in search of a place to stay and when they said they had no rooms we would ask for another recommendation and eventually came accross the spyglass house. Here we found something amazing.
We showed up mid-day on our second day in Maui and the owner showed us the property - it was unbelievable. The property is right on the water. There is some good snorkeling if you don't mind swimming out a quarter of a mile - tons of sea turtles out on the reef. The front yard is beautiful and secluded with a hot tub that we used both nights and no one bothered us either time. We had the whole property to ourselves. There was a bench and two lawn chairs out by the cliff by the water that you can sit in in the morning and watch whales and dolphins off in the water. The house is nice. We really enjoyed it - with a nice big kitchen and a nice family room overlooking the front yard/ocean. It worked out good since we had two couples because the place had two bedrooms. The Neptune room is where we stayed and our friends stayed in the Mermaid room. Very nice.
If you are into luxurious 5-star resorts, you may not like the place. It is really nice but it is just a hawaiian house nothing special. It has very nice large ceilings and they provide you with all the amenities - a nice bathroom, a tv, a radio/cd player with ipod connection, a full kitchen w/ fridge, stove, toaster, ect; including breakfast foods (we had eggs, milk, orange juice, eggo waffles, cream cheese, bagels, ect.). The owners are soooo friendly. They will give you surf lessons if you ask or any local advice you can ask for. They are awesome. There is a gas grill and a hot tub and pretty much anything you need and you are free to use them whenever.
It is unbelievably relaxing there - you could spend a whole day and it wouldn't get boring. There is a nice beach just a short walk from the house. It isn't always the best for swimming or snorkeling but it is a nice beach to relax on as there are not many people there ever.
This place is wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone. Your best bet is to go with two couples and rent the front half of the Dolphin House. The Garden Room is on the back of the dolphin house but it is separate. It is worth every penny if you are looking for privacy and relaxation. The sky views from the hot tub at night are stunning, and the oceanfront views are equally impressive. Just 30 minutes from Lahaina and 2 minutes from downtown historic Pa'ia. Only 15 minutes to Kahului Airport. HIGHLY recommended for young and old couples. Be prepared to RELAX!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Spyglass Maui Rentals are two, well cared for homes, right next door to each other, in the middle of all of the North Shore beaches and less than a mile from Paia town, in a local, residential neighborhood. The closest beach access is a 5 minute walk away. The houses are owned by a two good friends and long time Maui residents, Liam McCormick and Poni Brendan, who call themselves family. Our on-sight manager, Sabrina, and full time housekeeper, Patti are here to assist you. The rentals are clean, comfortable and will make you feel like you are spending time in a "home away from home" rather than in a resort hotel. The Gingerbread House, at the rear of the property, is a very unique, two story, one bedroom house with a lanai off the second floor bedroom and an outdoor patio on the ground level. It has a jetted tub in the first floor bathroom. The Green Turtle House can be rented as a ONE or TWO bedroom house and can accommodate up to 6 guests when rented as a TWO bedroom. In our older reviews and on Google there is mention of the Bicycle Inn/House and the beachfront "Spyglass House". These are no longer our properties. The Gingerbread House and Green Turtle House have been under new management since the fall of 2014. The most current reviews of our properties can be found on Airbnb and VRBO. In our rentals, we try to provide everything that you will need to enjoy your vacation and leave your cares at home. Our focus is to create a lovely environment so that our guests can have a wonderful base from which to enjoy their vacation and explore all that is beautiful and special about Maui. Please contact us if you need additional information or have specific questions. During your stay, we are on-site and happy to help. Mahalo! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Spyglass Maui Rentals reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spyglass House Rentals Hotel Paia
- Spyglass Maui Rentals Paia