“Coconut Apartment”

Spyglass Maui Rentals
Ranked #3 of 3 Paia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Coconut Apt is a couple of houses off the road to Hana. Behind it is sugarcane fields. It is a one bedroom apt, with a futon in the living room; with ceiling fans in both rooms. It has a full functioning kitchen which was great if you get tired of restaurants: it also saves money. The apt was clean, quiet and comfortable. Good water pressure an plenty of hot water! There was a laundry room in back, and clothes lines as well (covered). The owner and staff were available and responsive when needed. The apt is not a beach front property. A mile or so from Paia, 36 miles from Hana. About 10 miles from the Airport, 30 miles to the crater, 20 or so mils from Lahaina. Creatures other than human also live in paradise, we saw a couple of cane spiders which were swished outside with no casualties. We had a wonderful time and were satisfied with the accommondatations.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 5, 2012

We just got back to California from staying at the Gingerbread House for a week, and want everyone to know how much we loved it! Everything was exactly what we were looking for in a little vacation house. It was great to have the kitchen to prepare our food to take with us for the day, it was clean and the whole house was set up to make us feel comfortable. The location right near Paia town allowed us to go to a different place on Maui each day. We loved having Poni's son Corey right next door to tell us all the cool places to go including a private waterfall that most people don't know about. We read the funky review that the last people wrote and we did not fell the same way at all.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shelley S
Reviewed February 26, 2012

It’s now been three weeks since we stayed at the Gingerbread House. I needed to take that time to ensure the following is fact based, not emotionally based. If you read through these accounts, there is one person who said to read the negatives and pay attention to them. Agreed. Wish we had. Note the patterns in the negatives. Also, expect the owner of the Gingerbread House to slam her former guests providing the feedback or to somehow “excuse away” the reports. Fact #1: the Gingerbread House is not a B&B. Having come from two other islands where we did stay in B&Bs, we were greeted by the owners/managers, a bouquet of fresh island flowers, fruit or chocolates and a welcome book that included things to see, places to eat, history of the property, etc. Gingerbread House: nothing. In fact, we didn’t meet the owner, “Poni,” until the morning of our fourth day of five. She came to collect the rest of our rental money. Fact #2: the Gingerbread House is buggy. We lived with two kinds of ants (tiny ants that got into our cookies and chips, and half-inch reddish ants), some one-inch black, roachy looking insects, and a plethora of various spiders. While sitting on the couch facing the TV, the tiny ants were walking on the white couch cover, onto my right arm. One would not expect bugs in a high-priced vacation rental. When Poni asked at money-collection time how we like the place, she probed our “It’s OK” answer. I told her about the bugs, and she told us there was bug spray in the kitchen. (Read other reviews for the various reasons for the bugs.) My husband said it needed a good cleaning, and Poni said she’d send “Corey” over to clean it. Since she provided no services, we told her our three-day old garbage was on the lanai outside our bedroom. She seemed surprised that we were bothered by smelly garbage, and took it with her. Cory seemed to have vacuumed, because he failed to replug in the lights he unplugged in order to vacuum. Re the spiders, I was told by Poni that she “swishes them down” with her towel when she sees them. That suggestion didn’t appeal to me. The thought of one of those spiders on my bath towel was…creepy. I don’t do that when I find the occasional spider at home, why would I do it in a place I was paying to stay? The Gingerbug House has extremely high ceilings and windows; a towel wouldn’t reach the many webs anyway. Fact #3: noise. To get the most from our visit to Maui, we were out early and back in early evening, hoping for a good night’s sleep. Corey, (Poni’s son) who lives next door appears to be a mechanic who likes to work with clanking tools until past 10:00 p.m. … every evening. His friends come and go. Music varies. On the Sunday evening we were at the Gingerbug House, another neighbor threw a huge party with loud music, some kind of singing/chanting, and annoying “cow bells.” Around 11:00, some other neighbor yelled loudly, “shut up!” and things died down within an hour. Did I mention the cow bells were extremely annoying? Fact #4: Cleanliness. When the airline from Kauai to Maui lost our bags, I called Poni to tell her we’d be a bit late arriving at the Gingerbug House. I was hoping I misunderstood when she said we should call about a half hour before we arrived so that she could “clean the place.” I told my husband what she said, and I hoped I misunderstood. One cannot “clean a place” thoroughly in a half an hour. I questioned from the start if our bed sheets were clean. I looked in the closet for clean sheets that I could put on the bed and found two piles of what appeared to be dirty linen. The bedspread had several large stains. The rug at the foot of the bead needed carpet cleaning. Every surface was dusty (no, there had been no recent “sugar plantation burnings,” and there was black mold in the shower. Suggestion for Poni: (and, no, I’m not – to use one of Poni’s retorts to another person who posted similar feedback – an “uptight” person) -- take pride in your property! If you’re charging the large amount we paid you, hire an exterminator to do an initial fumigation and return on a regular schedule to control the ants and spiders. While the cleanliness of the Gingerbug House might be acceptable to you, it is not what most people who can afford your prices would consider acceptable in their own homes. Hire a cleaning service to rejuvenate and refresh the house after each customer’s stay. Clean sheets and bedspreads are an acceptable norm. You can’t control every neighbor, but you can ask those on your property (Corey) to please stop the noise after 10:00 p.m. It’s only polite and to some, common sense. The Gingerbread House was unforgettable, but not for the reasons that make fond, “can’t wait to return,” memories.

Room Tip: Read the negative reviews before you select the Gingerbread House. Wish we had. Owner's response...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank divaw0rld
SpyglassHouse, Owner at Spyglass Maui Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Aloha, I am so sorry to hear that this guest was so unhappy. I would have rather they found another place, since Im sure I could have rebooked the house with someone who would have been stoked to be there. It is apparent to me when reading these reviews that one persons paradise is another persons disappointment ... This is very important to remember when reading these reviews as the Gingerbread House is always full, and in amongst all the happy people, there are some who would rather me poison the entire house due to a temporary flair up of ants, than just wipe them up with a wet paper towel and through it away. This is a matter of perspective, and if a couple of bugs bother you, than please don't book with us. We will only poison the house if we feel that it is needed. When the suger cane fields are burned next door, and there are cane spiders, than we will have the house fumigated, but for a couple of thin wispy spiders, and a trail of ants that can be wiped away, we do not.

Also, these guests say they would have liked me to be at the door greeting them with flowers and chocolates.... The Gingerbread House is NOT a bed and breakfast, it is a vacation rental house. A bed and breakfast is defined by the owner renting a room in their private residence. If you are a guest in their house it is much easier for them to be there and connect with you. I can not know when you are going to be in or out unless you call me and we make a plan. Please keep this in mind if you book this house. I live near by, and come by in the morning and in the evening, to try and hello and check you in, but I will not bother you if your bedroom curtains are shut and I think that my guest appreciate that....

All in all, I hope that if you are the right people for the Gingerbread House, that you can sift through the reviews, and get the feel if it is right for you. It really is very special, and most people who walk in think it is shiny clean, and tell me so. We care very much about our houses, and rooms, and would not want you to have to write a review like these people did.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Gingerbread House is in a nice, relatively quiet area with plenty of privacy. BUT, be forewarned: the bedroom is on the second floor, but the bathroom is on the first floor, with a tricky flight of stairs connecting them. If you are likely to be disoriented or unstable on your feet in the middle of the night, or if you have to get up several times in the night, then this place is not for you. The bed is comfortable, and the bedroom has lots of air circulation. But, as a previous reviewer pointed out, the place is cleaned haphazardly (by the manager's youthful son) and internet service is hopeless, regardless of what the manager may say.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FolsomDiana
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Paia was the perfect place to stay in Maui and so was the Coconut Apartment. I felt like all the attractions on Maui were within reach and not too far of a drive and the town has a San Francisco type vibe only cooler. There were others who seemed to live around the apartment and were very friendly and gave us some good tips. Though the Coconut apartment is almost a mile outside of town and I wouldnt suggest walking there with the traffic on Hana Hwy it was perfect for our needs. We were able to cook if we wanted to and have piece and quiet as well. The internet access worked the first day or two but after that had no success and we couldnt get the TV to play DVDs but this no way affected our stay, it was nice to be unconnected. If we're ever back this way we'd stay again.

Room Tip: Keep a window or two open or maybe a ceiling fan running while you are gone during the day otherwise...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We spent two nights at the Bicycle Inn, and it was lovely. Part of what made it was how responsive the owner was to e-mails. It was the best of all worlds: no overly intrusive (as it sometimes feels like) front desk or maid service, but she addressed questions promptly and seemed genuinely concerned about us having a positive experience.

There seems to have been some confusion by previous guests about what the Bicycle Inn is--perhaps in part due to unclear language on certain travel sites--so I'll take a moment to try to clarify that. The Inn is the second story of a two-story house; it has three bedrooms that each sleep up to two, and two of the rooms share a bath and one comes with its own (other than that, all three rooms are about the same size and look). Blue and Mermaid rooms have access from their rooms to the deck. So as many as three separate parties could be staying there at one time. The big uncovered deck, kitchen, and dining/living room are shared by all. It's not a huge house by any means, so if three couples who didn't know each other stayed there and were home at the same time, it may feel cramped. Definitely remember your communication skills in that case--and that you're supposed to be relaxing and going with the flow, even if you have to compromise on stove-use times. It is not a B&B--you may never see the owners, and you certainly won't get breakfast prepared for you (unless you're traveling with a nice buddy who wants to cook for you).

(Tip: Do check the supplies in the kitchen before you run to the grocery store. We assumed there would be basics such as olive oil and there were almost no staples. There was local coffee and bagged tea only.)

The house is out of the small town a little ways, so is very quiet. Swimming beaches aren't immediately nearby, but there is a little ocean access for sitting. (No ocean views from the house.) And Mama's Fish House, a spendy but truly amazing restaurant, is basically next door (don't worry--no smells!). If you want to try that out, go for lunch, when it's a little cheaper and you can actually see the view.

Room Tip: We were really lucky: We paid for one of the rooms that had a shared bath, and no one joined us the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We really enjoyed our two night stay in the Gingerbread House. While this is not the place for folks interested in the cookie-cutter resort experience, it's a great little house with some real beauty and character.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Paia Inn
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat
The Inn at Mama's Fish House

Been to Spyglass Maui Rentals? Share your experiences!