“If you like to sleep in grandma's tool shed, this place is for you!!”

Spyglass Maui Rentals
Ranked #3 of 3 Paia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Yucaipa, California
“If you like to sleep in grandma's tool shed, this place is for you!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

The Gingerbread house has the potential to be a cute place, except for the fact that it has never been cleaned. The high ceilings have copious amounts of old spider webs, dead flies and other insect carcasses. Just about every corner has 2-3 spider friends living in there. When bringing up the cleanliness of the house to the owner she said she didn't have time to come dust...I don't mind a little dust, but I do mind window screens and fan blades that have NEVER been cleaned. The dirt on the top of the fan blades was ridiculous. Since there are no refunds (of which their cancellation policies are not on their website) we stayed a few nights but soon booked another hotel. We literally felt like we were sleeping in my grandma's tool shed with all the cobwebs and spiders.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sweetcheeks_53_99
SpyglassHouse, Owner at Spyglass Maui Rentals, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Just a note to say we took the empty days in the past week to get the extension ladder into the Gingerbread House, clean the windows, the walls, the cob webs from up high, and the house has never been cleaner. We are so sorry for the dust, and bugs that the harvesting of the suger cane fields did to our properties for the past couple of months, as soon as you would dust, the entire house would be coated again. I have written to the suger cane company with all of these complaints, not that they will listen, but every two years when they harvest all the fields around us, it seems to get worse. Well anyway, now it is clean and sparkely again, no bugs, no dust, and no cob webs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at the Spyglass House for our honeymoon. First night we stayed at the Bicycle House and which it didn't seem too bad. There were little geico's on the walls in which didn't bother us. But check with Poni first before you pay more for the master because we paid more and there was no one there. Also if there says there is breakfast included, there isn't. Then after the first night we moved to the coconut apartment. Yikes....... my husband and I go camping a lot so minor details don't bother us but we were in for a treat. If you just need a room and don't plan on being there much this would be a good place but other than that I recommend going somewhere else. While our stay there we had a millipede that was about 6 inches long in the sink, a spider the size of our palm and something scratching in the wall that then we later to find out was a rat. We had countless nights of no sleep because of all of this. Then there was a tv and dvd player in the room that didn't even work. Also we were offered 2 towels total the whole stay so bring your own supplies and entertainment if you want to relax at night in the apt. Also we were told there was free wifi and turned out we didn't have any at both places. In which we were offered an excuse for that too. The shower curtain was filled with mold in which again I can handle a little but this was just gross. Also we're hoping it was only from a geico but there was poo on the back of the toilet when we woke up one morning also. I would say that in the end when Poni came to collect more money for the "upgrade" of the coconut apt she did say just pay here what we thought was fair. Honestly I think we would of been better off taking a tent and sleeping on the beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Melissa C
SpyglassHouse, Owner at Spyglass Maui Rentals, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Normally i am very understanding of a guest complaint. In the 14 years that i have been renting out my places, there are sometimes people who dont have a great experience. Due to the harvest of the suger cane field next door, we did have a couple of critters show up. We are on a semi tropical island and these are some of the problems that we as home owners have to deal with every so often. Thing is, when it happens we deal with it.

These people were out of line to write that the apartment is "roughing it." I tried to connect with them every morning and evening, but they were either out or asleep. I left them messages and a note for them to call me. If they had, i would have been able to give them the password for the internet. When i read that the tv did not work, i went over to check it, and it just needed to be plugged in. I personally cleaned that apartment, and i know for a fact that the marble bathroom, the beautiful wood floors, the imperial plaster walls, and the hand made cement counter tops, were clean and shiny, so the apartment was far from "roughing it" Yes i did find that it was time to buy a new shower curtain, as i do not stand for any mold at all, so i did.
By and by, these people waited till the very end to complain, and they did not want to pay me the money due. I gave them the option to give me what they felt was fair, and they gave me about half. The apartment is fairly priced at $140 per night, it is a very fair price for a private apartment on the north shore. I would hate for anyone to think that the coconut apartment is anything close to "roughing it" just because of these people. Take my word for it. I own it and stand by it.
los angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

This specific review is for the coconut apartment. What we loved about this place is that it's in a residential area just outside Paia, very quiet. After spending 1 week in Waikiki, this was a good change. Manager Poni (I think that's her name) was great in giving the direction so we didn't have too much difficulty finding the place. Place was quaint and cute on first look, the residents upstairs were friendly. We arrived in the afternoon. Poni left our key with the resident upstairs and he checked us in. So we never met her.

The Apartment is clean enough, a little old but feels homely. The basic essentials were there. The kitchen has cups, knife, plates, microwave, refridgerator, kettle. Towels were plenty, bed comfortable enough. We even have WIFI connection although TV was not working.
The horror came at night when we found 3 spiders in the apartment (2 in the kitchen and 1 in the bedroom). Then, we saw that the screen doors and windows were full of little bugs, looks like young cockcroaches. There must be at least 50 to 100 of them all in all. Thank goodness, they were outside and gone by the morning. But the following night, the bugs were back. I m not sure if this is just how it is in a normal Maui residents or just this particular apartment, but that basically set us back from saying we'll be back.

Think of it as a $150 per night camping trip and you should be fine. Definitely not for romantic getaways.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank RRla
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We booked late for a busy period so we were happy to get what we could. However an expensive, impersonal resort hotel would have been a better option than renting a room in a share house from Spyglass. We didn't stay in the Spyglass house proper.
We arrived at night to an apartment already inhabited by some local (massive) spiders. Probably harmless. . . but would you risk it? When I called the proprietor, after I finally got ahold of her she knew of the problem and didn't seem very concerned at all.
She did offer us to move to another room in a share house, so we did. But her description was not very clear and it ended up being a share house, which was fine. The second night the downstairs neighbours (not patrons) came home at around 1am, cranked the Nickelback and lit a few doobies Cheech Marin would be proud of. To their credit, they were quite happy to close the door and keep it down when I asked.
Over the two days of our stay it was very difficult to contact the proprietor to arrange payment - almost like it was an inconvenience or something.
Wouldn't stay here again, but we would definitely look for something near Paia again. cool town. Good base for the road to Hana.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tlaitinen
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

We are from switzerland travelling with 4 people and the gingerbread house was perfect. Correy and Mike took us for surf lessons with Early Bird surfschool and learned so much. The house is very clean and serene. And all four of us were very comfortable. We felt like at home and are very sad to leave now. But we will be back as soon as possible. Thank you so much for everything Poni. We love you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlessaGallian
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

Location, location, location! I'm here right now, and... the ocean view is so mesmerizing! So nice I had to take a break and give some props.
I prefer the Paia - Haiku side of Maui, away from the tourists all crammed into Kihei and Lahaina... everything I love about Maui is here... and this place is so well situated.
Not too fancy, but far from shabby. If you're looking for travertine counters, etc... this is not the place. If you love to be lulled by the ocean at night, and watch sea turtles by day... YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE! I do... my second time to stay at spyglass. Very nice people... good aloha... FANTASTIC surroundings.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iris11111
Campbell Hall, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

I spent 3 weeks at Spy Glass House and this was my 3rd visit. The location in Paia was perfect distance to town and beaches. The spacious room had beautiful design and architecture with tasteful décor. I enjoyed having a kitchen and dining area for the days spent indoors. The staff/owner was extremely knowledgeable for places to visit and sight see. I would recommend Spy Glass House to my friends and family! I also plan on returning within the next year!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KiteSrfRob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Maui Seaside Hotel
#1 of 3 in Paia
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#2 of 6 in Paia

Been to Spyglass Maui Rentals? Share your experiences!