“Great teacher”

Maria Souza's Stand Up Paddle School
More attraction details
Owner description: Maria Souza Ocean Sports Education LLC Offers:-Stand-up Lessons- No Experience Necessary-Guaranteed to Stand-up in 1 Lesson! Must know how to swim - Training for Races - Long Distance Paddling- Down Wind Runs-Surfing-Extreme Surf Week Training Package- Experience Necessary-Fitness Training for specific Ocean Sports
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dallas, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great teacher”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

In the past I took several lessons on stand up paddle with different instructors. Maria was the best of all.

Visited February 2014

Portland, Oregon
“A great experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband, a friend and I took a lesson this week - all of us had a little bit of SUP experience though no lessons and it was really nice to get some fundamentals. I'm an intermediate surfer and picked up SUP quickly but never learned the "right" way to do it and this was a great way to start building a solid foundation. I learned how to catch a wave standing up instead of on my knees during my lesson! Also Maria was great with making sure we had some good photos while we were out there. We felt safe and in good hands and she is truly a renaissance water woman.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had the good fortune to get a private SUP lesson with Maria when I was in Maui. She clearly knows what she is doing and the Bosu ball practice before getting in the water was really helpful. She gave me some imaginary balloons, too! I was really happy with how well I was able to do, right away, and I never fell off :-) I wish I lived closer so I could take follow up lessons, but I believe she taught me all I need to continue now that I am home. I can't wait to see the pictures she took!

Tucson, Arizona
“Balloons”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Maria was wonderful. She immediately makes you feel welcome like old friends. We had never SUP before, and was looking for instruction. She begins by warming you up and spending a half an hour or so on dry land giving instruction on how the board will act in the water. She will remind you to imagine balloons lifting you up on the board. I struggle with balance oriented tasks, and this helped me be successful.

Dinuba CA
4 attraction reviews
“A lesson from Maria will have you ready to SUP”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband, a friend, and I took a lesson from Maria. We started out on land doing some body awareness exercises, then practiced different strokes and the sitting/standing on the board. She thoroughly explained how to enter and exit the water and what to do while we are out there.
Then we hit the water! Maria took us out and gave us each tips on what to improve in our stroke and body motions. It really was easy since we knew just what to do.
My favorite part: We had some shifts in wind, and as I got frustrated, she reminded me that the wind is "humbling". Yes, I was humbled every time that wind pushed me the opposite direction of where I wanted to go! I had to remember that, the weather is in control when I am on a board in the ocean- and I just have to know how to work along with it.
So happy we did the lesson, now we feel confident going out on our own to SUP in beautiful Maui!!