After spending four days exploring beaches and eateries in Kihei—and staying at a small LGBT-friendly resort, that while well managed and staffed, sat on a non-swimable beach that required a car everywhere we went—my husband and I found ourselves looking for a change.
More inclined to low-maintenance, walk-everywhere-you-need-to-go, and be-on-the-beach-in-a-matter-of-minutes getaways, a local turned us on to the town of Paia. After an hour of our arrival (which included a brief walking tour of this small “hippie town” followed by a swim at Baldwin Beach) the decision had been made: “If that hotel on the main drag we passed has a room available, we’re staying!”
Fast-forward twenty minutes...unannounced and without having done any research, my husband and I walked into the lobby of the Paia Inn Hotel and were warmly greeted by member of the staff. After outlining our desired dates—“...immediately, for the next five nights...”—she provided us three options that spanned three pricing tiers. Grateful, excited and looking forward to splurging a bit for our upcoming anniversary, we booked the Luxury Ocean View Suite.
To make a long-story-short, I would highly recommend the Paia Inn Hotel if you’re looking for a mellow, boutique style inn/hotel that offers visitors the option to forget the car and enjoy small town Maui life while surrounded by top-notch customer service professionals . My recommendation is based on the following:
1) Staff: If you want to talk about beautiful individuals inside and out, look no further than the Paia Inn Hotel staff. Attentive, well-spoken, friendly, sincere, prompt and thoughtful are just a few of the words one could use to describe their five-star customer service. All of the staff made the two of us feel right at home.
2) Accommodations: (a) The Luxury Ocean View Suite was truly amazing. Large, clean, cool, this 3/1 offered a huge lanai overlooking lush Hawaiian vegetation and a treetop view of the ocean. From the bathroom finishes-to the furniture-to the bamboo floors—everywhere we looked was an tangible example impeccable taste and attention to detail. (b) The Inn itself, while situated on a very busy street, is super quite (at least the Ocean View Suite was). A small pathway winds through the property leading guests directly to the beach. Prior to entering the beach, there’s a great grassy area where guest can relax in the shade under umbrellas, enjoy a drink while looking out over the ocean or rinse off the sand after a long day at the beach.
3) The town: The Hana Highway runs through the town of Paia. The Paia Inn Hotel is located on this Highway (a two-lane street by mainlander standards). I’m not going to lie, at times, there can be a lot of traffic. That said, I felt the traffic added to the charm of the town (call me crazy!!!). The Paia itself offered us everything we needed for our five day stay—restaurants, grocery store, shopping, public beach—all within walking distance. We only used the car (which was parked in the Inn’s private parking lot) to return to the airport.
While the North Shore of Kauai is more my scene when it comes to vacationing in Hawaii (I only say this to give readers familiar with the Hawaiian Islands added context for my review), I wouldn’t hesitate to return to the Paia Inn Hotel should my travel plans lead me to Maui in the future!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The postcard perfection of Maui’s North Shore (white sand beaches, raging waterfalls, stylish cafes, and world-class surfers) just got even better with the opening of the Paia Inn. This beach town boutique hotel seamlessly blends modern amenities with the historic character of its building. In a nod to the town’s plantation trade days, the building’s exterior has retained its charm with tin rooftops and rustic hues; yet, the interior mixes contemporary island furnishings with the chic lushness of the W Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Paia Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paia Hotel Paia
- Paia Inn Maui