“Quick Stop in Paia”
Review of Paia Inn

Paia Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Paia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights at the Paia Inn Guest House. The accomodations were delightful, the bed comfortable, the amenities of the small offsite house were very nice, and the jacuzzi in the lush and fairly secluded back yard was a well enjoyed plus! Not inexpensive, but we felt it was worth it to have the extra space and privacy!! We also had a really beautiful breakfast in the small cafe at the Paia Inn. Staff was the epitomy of Aloha from start to finish! Highly recommend this quaint very Paia establishment. We also had a great dinner at Flatbread Pizza adjacent to the Inn after a drive to Hana and an envigorating hike to the falls in Halialaka State Park. Best meal in a long time, at the venerable Mama's Fish House a short hop up the street. Best restaurant on the Island serving same day caught fish in 5 star preparations! Also not inexpensive, but worth the cost!

Room Tip: We had the offsite Guest House...located at the end of a residential street about a half mile from t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TequilaJackson

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I won't bother to add to the well-deserved accolades of previous reviewers regarding the hotel, it's rooms, grounds, and services--I agree that all met, and generally surpassed my expectations. I would like to address how wonderful this place was for myself, my husband, and our 3-year old and 9-month old. We stayed in December 2012 in a 2-bedroom suite with a full kitchen, lanai, and private garden. It was perfect. We really felt like we had a private and very agreeable space to retreat to where we didn't have to worry unduly about disturbing other guests. Our boys loved playing on the lanai and it was wonderfully convenient to be able to prepare (or take-out) food for meals. My husband and I often had a quiet dinner on the lanai after the boys were put to bed.

Our 3-year-old loved the "secret pathway" to the beach where we were all delighted to see large sea turtles swimming in the surf near the rocks. We were told that they live there so can be seen all of the time.

The hotel staff arranged a fabulous babysitter (she came with her own age-appropriate games and books), gave excellent advice for visiting sites with the little ones, and answered our every request with cheerful and generous competence.

We'd arranged rental of a stroller, high chair, and toys from Akamai Mother's Rentals (fabulous and VERY reasonable) who worked seamlessly with the hotel staff to make drop off and pick up easy.

Across the street from the hotel is Anthony's Coffee House that opens at 5:30 am and was a godsend for my jet-lagged little ones.

Mana Foods a short walk from the hotel is an excellent natural foods store with a large selection of everything including prepared foods.

A number of other truly delicious and very reasonably priced restaurants were within easy walking distance for eating in or taking out. (Cafe des Amis, Paia Fish Market)

We all adored the singer/ukulele player Eric Dotterer who plays during breakfast on Sunday mornings. He even sang songs especially for our 3-year-old.

The breakfasts at the hotel were delicious and our only minor complaint was that with generally one person taking care of ordering, preparing, and serving, they could be a little long. BUT if you weren't anxious to start off on an excursion, it was a pleasant way to spend the morning.

One general comment: a friend who lives in Maui suggested the hotel to us (thankfully!) as she thought it was an excellent location for visiting the rest of the island and we could not have agreed more. I'm not sure that my kids could have endured the road to Hana if we'd had to add another hour or more had we been staying in Wailea, Kihei, or Lahaina

We would recommend this hotel without hesitation to people traveling with children or not and look forward to returning one day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank E H
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed for one night, as I was curious to experience Paia and read all the good reviews about the Paia Inn. Boy, would I have liked to stay longer! It doesn't look like much from the outside, but is very new, modern and stylish from the inside. I was upgraded to a junior suite which consisted of a bedroom with flatscreen TV, ipod docking station, kingsize bed, a bathroom with a walk in shower and a small living room with another flatscreen TV, fridge, microwave, sink. The color scheme is very nice in light browns and blues. There is no direct beach access, but it is close by. Beach towels are supplied. The Inn is in the middle of Paia with all it's funky bars, cafes, restaurants and shops close by. Parking is possible on site, but charged with 10 USD a day. The staff was very friendly, all hip young surfer type people, matching the rest of the hotel and the area. I can't wait to come back with my boyfriend!

Room Tip: I had a peak into a standard room and that was a bit on the small side. If money's not an issue...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Myself and my new husband stayed at the Paia inn in July 2012, after spending 3 nights at the Royal Lahaina in Lahaina. From arrival the Paia inn was amazing! The staff were helpful beyond words, our luggage had been lost by our airline, and they couldn't do enough to get it back for us. They gave us great advice on day trips and car hire, and booked us activities at the last minute, such as stand up paddle boarding. We stayed in room ten, which had a gorgeous outside area, with a kitchenette and fridge, so we could do our own snacks which was great for the road to Hana! Paia is small, but so much more beautiful than the American resorts on the other side of the island. I would be back here in a heartbeat if I could be! Thank you Paia for an amazing honeymoon!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank francesca_paola
Reviewed January 12, 2013

After a week in Hawaii, we started to feel the real 'aloha' of the islands with no cars beeping, slower paces, and friendly faces. When arriving at Paia Inn, that aloha vibe tripled. The staff seemed so chill, so kind and helpful, and they welcomed us warmly to their place as to not interfere with our own aloha.

The warm feelings improved when getting to our room. The garden suite was a little oasis. Outside the richly decorated bedroom (with a super comfy bed) sits a large lanai with an inviting day bed, a cozy table and stocked wet bar area. The place was so relaxing and inviting, we considered skipping our drive to Hana the next day to just stay here. Northern California's winters don't allow outdoor showering, and taking a shower outside (yes, there is an indoor shower, too!) in the warm December sunshine was a real treat.

Next came the beach. A short, meandering walk brought us to the inn's lawn area with a grill, lawn chairs, beach equipment, and chairs at the ready for you to bring to the gorgeous beach. The beach itself? Loved it. Paia has a great vibe where tourists, locals, families, stoners, and even nudists all coexist on this placid strip of sand. Aloha!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank P0pad
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Pa'ia Inn Hotel is a wonderful welcome to Hawai'i. Owner, Michael Baskin, has made the hotel from a labour of love. While it is on the Road to Hana, and in the heart of Pa'ia, it sprawls towards the beaches, which are just behind it This makes for a very quiet and restful stay. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the staff are brilliant, incredibly friendly and helpful.

While there is no meat on the breakfast menu the top quality of the food easily makes up for it. The omelets are awesome. Thanks Maria!

PIH was a big part of our visit to Hawai'i. We would return in a flash! Thanks Michael and all your staff!.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mister_Dear
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Paia Inn with my family. The inn does not look much from outside but inside the rooms are good and the people are really helpful. What makes the place a delight is the location. You walk down through the garden to the beach so you can get to the surf easily. Paia itself it quite folksy - there is a lot of the sugar town left - but we enjoyed the relatively unspoilt vibe. It is a great place and I would go back again in a gecko's heatbeat if I got the chance.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank tim200
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Montage Kapalua Bay
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Paia Inn? Share your experiences!