“what cocka roach?”

Ranked #1 of 3 Paia B&B and Inns
Washington State
“what cocka roach?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2010

I had booked this trip in November and my wife had read a nasty review about some one finding cockaroaches at this B&B...so I had to do some strong persuading when my son offered discounts at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. We had a most glorious relaxing time at Kuau Inn. The breakfast was just what you needed to start the day, fresh local papayas and bananas , a nice yard for getting the early rays as the sun crested Haleakala and a short walk to a most exclusive beach cove in Maui. The beds were cozy and even the Kona weather did not disrupt our sleep. We met great people, both staff and visitors during our stay. Every restaurant we ate at in Paia was wonderful.Lisa , the enthusiatic owner,has done a great job of restoring this old plantation home to its previous glory. Try it you'll like it.Oh, sorry, never saw that cockaroach.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scultury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

We just loved staying at Kuau Inn. We arrived and immediately felt comfortable in the beautiful "plantation" style home. Lisa has wonderful taste and the Inn was close to everything. The fresh grapefruits from the garden were a daily delight. Abundant and healthy self serve breakfast.....great local coffee.. delicious :):)
Lisa went beyond the call when we misplaced our Hana info. She diligently sourced and called the correct contacts which helped us immensely. We highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Springfield Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

Kuau Inn is excellent.In 30 years I've traveled dozens of times to top tourist hotels/resorts,Four Seasons,Fairmont etc.all over the world. The experience I've had at Kuau Innis the best I've had. The Inn is clean , safe, friendly. Lisa ,the owner, is terrific in suggesting activities. She is a local, knows everyone. Very pleasant ,helpful, accomodating. If you expect or need room service ,forget it.But if you are a relaxed friendly person, and want to get the truly lovely Hawaiian experience ,the Kuau Inn is for you. A unique experience. By the way I am also from Illinois and stayed a few months after the other person who gave a poor review....my experience could not have been more different. I stayed a week with 8 family members and did not want to leave !!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank PorcelainArtist
illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

When I travel, I typically stay at bed and breakfasts, if possible. I have never written a negative review. Based upon the website and reviews, we booked the Kuau Inn. I must say the location on the island is great. It is quite easy to get about anywhere and I thoroughly enjoyed the nearby town of Paia, including the restaurants. However, the Inn was very disappointing. I never saw the host or anyone from the Inn during the entire stay. After we had packed the car to leave, my husband went back inside to check on something and apparently saw the owner. We never had any shampoo during the stay and there was no one to ask. The shower was unusable because there was no outside light that we knew of. The bathtub was old and rusty. I would not use it. The ceiling in the room was peeling and the blanket on the bed had a huge hole in it. A note in the rooms indicated that the windows should be closed during the day when we were gone. As a result, the rooms were incredibly warm at night when we returned. You should know that I like hot weather. However, it was almost unbearable. It took practically the entire night of open windows to cool the room. The rooms did not have any fans. With the open windows, you could constantly hear the traffic on the nearby, busy road. When we arrived at approximately 10:00 p.m. to check in, we found the house open and the rooms open. There were no locks on the individual rooms and we never received a key to the residence. As far as I know, the rooms and the house were open all day and late into the night. As a result, we had to take all of our valuables with us every day for security reasons. Finally, the website refers to critters being in the house because the owners do not spray. I do not mind bugs. However, there were bugs that looked like cockroaches running around everywhere. Finally, the phrase critters is an understatement. The website fails to mention that spiders the size of your fist (not kidding) roam in and out of the inn. They are quite fast, and you had to look constantly to make sure that you did not sit or step on one. If you go to Maui, I would recommend that you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IllinoisTravel09
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

We felt at home right away. When we arrived rather late in the evening from a very long flight it was easy to find our room. Our room was very clean with hardwood floors and the cool ocean breeze flowing throughout. In the morning for breakfast the kitchen was fully stocked with fresh fruits, breakfast foods, and coffee.

The location of this property is just 10 mins from the airport, 2 min drive to the downtown, and 3 min. drive to gorgeous Baldwin Beach.

We loved the service provided by Lisa Starr, the homelike setting, the proximity to the town and beaches. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetraveling05
Provence, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

We’ve just returned home to France after a wonderful Maui vacation. Our favorite spot to relax and enjoy the beauty and warm hospitality of the island is the Ku’au Inn on the north shore, near the charming town of Pa’ia.

The plantation –style home and its four rooms are beautiful, clean, spacious and tranquil. The outdoor spaces are enchanting. You can sit on really comfortable furniture in the party patio and gaze out at lovely flowers, fruit trees, and an appetizing vegetable garden, or, in the evening, sip a glass of wine while watching the moon rise over the tropical trees. One of our favorite moments was having a shower outdoors in the most amazing (and luxurious!) open-air dual shower. We also loved the large kitchen, the hub of the house, where you feel truly at home creating your breakfast from a fantastic selection of ingredients and local fruit. Above all, Lisa and her team have created an atmosphere of charm, openness and serenity.

The location of the Ku’au Inn is perfect for visiting all of Maui. It’s just a mile from our favorite town, Pa’ia, which has retained its unique character and island charm and offers great shops, restaurants, galleries and beaches without feeling touristy. You can be at the airport or ferry port in Kahului in ten minutes or less, but Lisa Starr’s b&b is worlds apart from the glitz and hustle-bustle of the islands’ resorts. It’s conveniently located for experiencing the magic of dawn from Haleakala or hanging out in Upcountry and is a centrally located springboard for visiting West Maui or the Hana Coast. This is a great find!

• Liked — relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank lynnesegalen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Maui Seaside Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,082 reviews
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#2 of 6 in Paia

Been to Kuau Inn? Share your experiences!