“Fun! Fun! Fun!”
Review of Maui Sunriders

Maui Sunriders
Ranked #2 of 17 Outdoor Activities in Paia
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Sunriders offers self-paced Haleakala bike tours of the volcano in Maui, HI, including Haleakala sunrise bike tours and daily Maui bike rentals. With our self-paced bike rides, guests have the freedom to stop along the way at the many unique shops and restaurants in the charming towns on the route or just stop to enjoy the beauty of Haleakala. With our self-paced Haleakala sunrise bike rides, you can immerse yourself in the beauty and serenity of Upcountry Maui without the cumbersome restrictions of a large group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 18, 2013

As I prefer not to do group activities, this was a perfect option to do a self guided ride down the volcano. Service was super friendly and equipment was in great shape. Ride up was very informative about the island and it's history. Ride down was great, only needed to pedal twice. If anyone feels the need for a little bit of speed and want to do it at your own pace, this is the way to go. Anyone who has sat on a bike before can do it.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were a little nervous about 27mile long bike ride, but thankfully it was all downhill so no peddling was required 99% of the time. Our guide Remy was very knowledgable and interesting person. After the safety briefing, he managed to keep all of us awake the whole time we were driving up through the winding roads.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My family and I researched numerous bike companies to ride down Makaela Crater, and Maui Sunriders was a great value (there were five of us, so we tried for something reasonable.) Overall it was a great time.

This trip was beautiful and the ride down the mountain is quite exhilarating! The small town where sunriders is located is also adorable and fun. After our trip we had brunch at a restaurant, bought some local fruit and did a bit of shopping at a boutique.

Getting up at 2 in the morning to drive to the town was not the most fun (I'm not a morning person let alone a very early morning person!) but it was totally worth it. We got to Maui Sunriders around 3am. They provided backpacks, windbreaker jackets and pants (definitely take these pieces of clothing! It gets chilly riding down the mountain) a helmet and gloves. Our guide Timothy was very laid back and cool. Our group of 14 loaded into the van and headed up the mountain. Along the way, Tim pointed out some spots and restaurants to stop at and gave us interesting facts about the island and crater. I fell asleep about halfway up, but after about an 1 1/2 drive, we were there. It was still dark and cold outside, but there is a small visitor's center you can stand in. There are also bathrooms at the top. Watching the sunrise was beautiful and I got some great pictures.

The bikes were in good shape, with some wear and tear. Mine was a little squeaky but the brakes worked well, which is the most important thing when biking downhill. After sitting on the seat for 26+ miles by bum did become a bit sore, so if you have biking shorts, I would wear them. The helmets they give you look a little ridiculous (they are like the helmets BMX bikers wear) but when riding down, I realized I liked the protection the helmet offered. Our guide also stayed at the unloading spot for 10 minutes after everyone left just in case someone felt like they couldn't do the trip. We also had his number to call in case anything happened.

The scenery is great...so lush and green! We had a very sunny day as well. The first few miles were chilly, but we warmed up after a bit. We saw a couple other bike tour vans on the way down, and the bikes the people had were cruisers, which didn't look very comfortable or fun to ride in the type of landscape around us. Our tour also started us further up the mountain...the other groups were unloading a few miles down, which would have been disappointing to me. Many groups also have to stick together, which I definitely did NOT want to do. I like riding at my own pace, and don't like to wait in big groups.

Returning the bikes was a piece of cake. My family was tired at the end, but we all agreed it had been a blast. My sister-in-law is not an outdoor person and rarely bikes, but she really enjoyed it.

I'm very happy with Maui Sunriders. They were prepared, fun, and gave us all the right gear for a good time.

1  Thank Steph R
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

My dad, brother and I decided to take a trip down the volcano via bike. We researched MANY companies and this was the best one we found, and the best value. Super friendly people, great tour on the way up, the driver taught us lots of history. It was fantastic! Loved the fact you could go down at your own pace. All around awesome experience! Will definitely go back. Highly recommend this company.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was the best choice of a bike tour company. We took the trip to the top of the volcano for the sunrise and then the biking back down. Our guide was friendly and informative about the area (albeit the things he was pointing out could not be seen at 3am). Sunrise was a great experience even though the winds were about 50 miles per hour that morning. (Now I know what the weathermen reporting on hurricanes experience.) The standout for this company is the fact they do NOT go down the mountain as a group. Instead, you can proceed at your own pace and stop for breakfast or to shop in the artsy town that the road goes through. We saw all the other bike companies proceeding in "herds." We definitely preferred to have this experience at our own pace, stopping for pictures and food we we wished.

1  Thank Roger O