“Beware if you have trouble with street noise!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Nalu Kai Lodge

Nalu Kai Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Specialty Lodging in Paia
“Beware if you have trouble with street noise!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

While the room was very nice and beautifully fixed up, we were unable to get any sleep. You hear the cars on the highway, the people walking by, and the people in the other rooms.

On the other hand, if you can sleep anywhere, it is very conveniently located and quite comfortable. Also our inquiries were answered very promptly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Banff, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Nalu Kai Lodge was booked up for our stay but Maria had us stay further down the road in Paia at Plantation Home. It was a perfect little apartment with all the amenities of home( shower, kitchen, laundry, wi-fi and tv). A great little garden back yard with BBQ and also a relaxing hammock. A 5 minute walk to Mana Foods and all the stores and restaurants in Paia. Also a quick walk to a beach access just down the highway.
I would stay here again. It is a fully on your own apartment, not a hotel. So if you are looking to be on your own in a little apartment it is perfect.
The grounds of the home are very well kept and you also get your own parking spot.

Room Tip: They also have a 3 bedroom house if you need more room. I didn't take any photos but they ones...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

The rooms are beautiful, and the service was great. It is located in the center of all the action, but not noisy, we liked it so much we re booked it for our last night, it was where we wanted to be at the end of our trip

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank dubblife
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

The first time I stayed in Paia I went for a vacation rental and I wish I had done the same before booking Nalu. It was too overpriced for what you get. The room was small and overlooking the street so it was incredibly noisy. I could not fully relax as there is construction going on early in the morning and constant street noise. I would only stay in a location like this during low season and if I was never in the room, meaning you leave at 6am and return late at night. It wasn't my style, but if you are there to surf and spend little time in the room, than this is for you. I think Paia is too expensive and after a week I moved to the south shore where it was more quiet with better weather (it mostly rained when I stayed in November.) I paid 700 for the month (as opposed to 900 for a week at Nalu!). The lodge itself is very cute, but the rooms are small with a bathroom separated by a curtain. The owners were friendly and helpful, but I am sorry to say I wasn't impressed. I am actually more impressed by the number of positive reviews!) I prefer the vacation rentals with more space, a kitchen, less noisy, and cheaper price.

Room Tip: facing away from street, best time to travel is the summer. low season and better weather but no sur...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank JuneBug83
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Perfectly located in charming Paia, the welcome was friendly and the rooms just lovely, done in a relaxed beach style. We loved it!

• Stayed January 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

From Nula Kai you can explore Paia town on foot and try some of the excellent restaurants close by. The room we stayed in was on the small side, but was clean and comfortable. There is a comfortable courtyard with a waterfall and nice landscaping. This lodge has a bohemian surfer vibe and is an affordable choice for a great location. We combined staying here with also staying in another resort area on Maui so we could have the best of both- a little resort relaxation and also a little local flavor.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dazbe
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Super cute, clean, laid back and such wonderful Hosts! Thank you Maria and Greg for such an amazing time. As a vacation rental owner myself I truly appreciate this amazing property and all it offers. We will surely be back to stay again :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CyReid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Maui Seaside Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,083 reviews
Kuau Inn
Kuau Inn
#1 of 3 in Paia

Been to Nalu Kai Lodge? Share your experiences!