“Get there early to get your goods.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Makawao
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Parking Available, Takeout
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Get there early to get your goods.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife brought me here as a place she would come as a child and get a cream puff to eat on the step with her mom. Since our first trip, this has become a tradition for our family as well. The cream puffs are amazing, the malasadas soft and delicious, and the stick donuts delectable! If we are on Maui you will find us sitting on the steps, eating a pastry, and remembering life as it is lived by children.

• Visited July 2013

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Something New”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

3rd generation bakery with lots of old memoribilia stacked in store. Enjoyed looking at old news articles. Pastries and donuts were delish.

Visited July 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
“Great stick donuts and malasadas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We made a special trip to Makawao to experience the delightful donuts and other goodies at the T. Komoda Bakery on the same day that the Paniola parade was held in town. The streets were blocked off, so we had to hoof it for about 1/3 of a mile through the parade crowd that lined the sidewalks. Fortunately, everyone was at the parade, so we were able to walk right up to the counter to place our order. The staff are decidedly unfriendly and did not respond to my attempt to strike up a conversation. We got our donuts and malasadas and headed back to our car. By then, the parade had ended. I think that we avoided the rush at the bakery with our impeccable timing. The ride back to Lahaina was very pleasant as we nibbled on our goodies. It turned out that the long walk was worth it. I would certainly go back again, but I would pick a day during the week to avoid any local activities. Also, you should heed the warnings from others about getting there early to avoid missing out. There were a ton of stick donuts left, but there was a lot of empty space in the display case.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Doesn't Look Like Much but Amazing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We hit up the Komoda Store and Bakery on the way back to our condo from sunrise at Mount Haleakala. (Guessing it was around 8am.) My hubby and I each bought a donut and a drink to eat outside on the sidewalk. I got a strawberry stuffed donut he got the azuki red bean stuffed one. Both were delish! We stocked up on the little glazed donuts on sticks that others here have raved about and also a coconut pie. Both were delicious!!! The donuts and pie were both great all week long (we stored them in the fridge). I'd highly recommend this little store. I know I'll be back (really want to try the rolls next time)!

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Donuts But Need to Arrive Early”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

What people tend to forget about Komoda's is that it is a market as well as a bakery. Therefore, when you arrive after lunch and find that the donuts are sold out, don't blame the store. They only make a certain amount and when they're gone, they're gone. Therefore, in order to ensure that you can enjoy the great donuts, it seems that you need to be there before 10:00 am. Some days they have donuts into the afternoon, but it seems like that's rare.

• Visited June 2013