“Ok Mexican Food - Ribs Are Horrible”

Polli's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Makawao
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Haiku, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ok Mexican Food - Ribs Are Horrible”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I Live on Maui and have regularly eaten at Polli's especially when they used to have their lunch specials for $5. I was disappointed they no longer had them. Since they no longer had their specials, I decided to order ribs since that is one of my favorite things to eat and at $12.99, I thought it sounded like a pretty good price. I was so disappointed with them! The first thing I did when I got them was try to cut a piece off and it was so hard, I couldn't! The sauce tasted like it came out of a bottle and the ribs seriously tasted like they wouldn't have even passed the USDA standards. When it comes to ribs, I am not that picky, I have eaten ribs from high quality restaurants, chain restaurants, and grocery stores and ALL have been better than these. The meat had an old taste to it and not tender at all. If you really want to try this place, stick to the Mexican food which is just okay, I wish I would have but now probably wouldn't return simply because I can't believe someone would serve something like that.

“Interesting Place”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Came upon Polli's while just cruising around up country. I am usually not one to stop and have Mexican food in places too far away from the border. Having said that, Polli's has really good Mexican food. I had a hankering for nachos and received a huge plate of crispy chips covered with all manner of good stuff. My wife (due to dietary restrictions) ordered a tostada with no lettuce, after receiving a rather strange look from the waitress she received exactly what she ordered. Both of our dishes were ordered with pork as the meat, it was tender and full of flavor. The guacamole was simple and actually tasted like fresh avocados that were lightly seasoned with sweet onion.
Would I go back? Yep

redmon05
“Great food - large portions”
Reviewed April 2, 2010

The atmosphere of the place is great. The waitress was a bit curt and slow to initially take our order. They were a bit busy and the waitress picked up the pace after it slowed down a bit. Ordered the Chimichangas and the portion was HUGE and very flavorful. We also had a coupon for free nachos (in one of those zillion magazine that you find around). Nachos hit the spot. Their salsa was superb.

1 Thank redmon05
Maui
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendliest bar on Maui!”
Reviewed November 20, 2009

You will not find a friendlier bar on Maui, especially when the locals come in from work, about 2:30 til 5 or 6PM. Sundays theres a great crew watchiong football or some other sport on the TV, the food and service are great, and the bartenders make the best drinks on Maui, bar none (pun intended). I live upcountry and this is my favorite spot. I've always been amazed at how many tourists come in and just get adopted, then how many come back year after year, stay clear on the other side of the island, and take the time to makee the drive at least once. Plus the owner underwrites my Mana'o Radio show!

1 Thank MauiUpcountry
vancouver island
“Upcountry surprise!”
Reviewed January 19, 2009

We happened upon Polli's by accident while exploring upcountry. What an unexpected treat! The decor is very funky and has a laid back vibe. There were lots of locals sitting at the bar watching Sunday football. The service was fast and friendly. We started with a bowl of warm tortilla chips and salsa which was amazing. I had a fish burrito and my husband had a chicken bean burrito. Both were huge portions with plentiful guacamole on the side. Delicious! We didn't have cocktails because we were driving but the margaritas looked really good and I was tempted. Prices were very reasonably for the portions. The chips & salsa were $2. Our burritos were $10-$12. It's at the top end of a quaint little street of artsy shops, perfect for a walk to settle your lunch. I would definitely recommend a stop here if you are exploring upcountry.

Been to Polli's Mexican Restaurant? Share your experiences!