“Friendliest bar on Maui!”

Polli's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 25 Restaurants in Makawao
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Maui
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendliest bar on Maui!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

You will not find a friendlier bar on Maui, especially when the locals come in from work, about 2:30 til 5 or 6PM. Sundays theres a great crew watchiong football or some other sport on the TV, the food and service are great, and the bartenders make the best drinks on Maui, bar none (pun intended). I live upcountry and this is my favorite spot. I've always been amazed at how many tourists come in and just get adopted, then how many come back year after year, stay clear on the other side of the island, and take the time to makee the drive at least once. Plus the owner underwrites my Mana'o Radio show!

1 Thank MauiUpcountry

vancouver island
“Upcountry surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

We happened upon Polli's by accident while exploring upcountry. What an unexpected treat! The decor is very funky and has a laid back vibe. There were lots of locals sitting at the bar watching Sunday football. The service was fast and friendly. We started with a bowl of warm tortilla chips and salsa which was amazing. I had a fish burrito and my husband had a chicken bean burrito. Both were huge portions with plentiful guacamole on the side. Delicious! We didn't have cocktails because we were driving but the margaritas looked really good and I was tempted. Prices were very reasonably for the portions. The chips & salsa were $2. Our burritos were $10-$12. It's at the top end of a quaint little street of artsy shops, perfect for a walk to settle your lunch. I would definitely recommend a stop here if you are exploring upcountry.

Alamo, CA
“Yummy Mexican Food in a funky little town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

So surprised at the review! I go there every time I go to Maui - always bring any and all friends with, too - and all of us LOVE Polli's!

The chips are always hot, crispy, with just the right amount of salt. The salsa is fresh. When you order a "plate" at lunch, you will be full until dinner and maybe later! The beef in the tacos is seasoned to perfection and the cocktails are a great "pour"...love the margaritas!

There is plenty of "aloha" spirit at this funky little stop on the little road in the tiny town of Makawao.

Don't miss it.

1 Thank sun_traveler08
Honolulu, HI
“Slow Fast Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

Our bike tour took us here for breakfast, and all I can say is that it tasted like fast food, except it took them a long time to get it out of the kitchen. Scrambled eggs were hard and a bit dry, and the breakfast burrito was supposed to be filled with eggs, potato and chorizo. Found the eggs & potato, but a couple teeny, tiny bits of mystery meat, virtually devoid of any taste were hardly what we were expecting. I can't imagine that the lunch fare would be much better.
The food didn't make us ill or anything, but I wouldn't bother going back.

Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved the beef tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

Whie visiting the Upcountry, we decided to stop for lunch in Makawao. Polli's had been recommended to us by our bike tour guide & it didn't dissappoint. We ate the best beef tacos that we’ve ever had. The margarita, rice & beans were tasty, too. The atmosphere was casual and the staff was very hospitable. With the delicious food, generous portions & great prices, we will be sure to go back on our next visit to Maui.

1 Thank carolinagal68