“Upcountry surprise!”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed January 19, 2009

We happened upon Polli's by accident while exploring upcountry. What an unexpected treat! The decor is very funky and has a laid back vibe. There were lots of locals sitting at the bar watching Sunday football. The service was fast and friendly. We started with a bowl of warm tortilla chips and salsa which was amazing. I had a fish burrito and my husband had a chicken bean burrito. Both were huge portions with plentiful guacamole on the side. Delicious! We didn't have cocktails because we were driving but the margaritas looked really good and I was tempted. Prices were very reasonably for the portions. The chips & salsa were $2. Our burritos were $10-$12. It's at the top end of a quaint little street of artsy shops, perfect for a walk to settle your lunch. I would definitely recommend a stop here if you are exploring upcountry.

Reviewed August 24, 2008

So surprised at the review! I go there every time I go to Maui - always bring any and all friends with, too - and all of us LOVE Polli's!

The chips are always hot, crispy, with just the right amount of salt. The salsa is fresh. When you order a "plate" at lunch, you will be full until dinner and maybe later! The beef in the tacos is seasoned to perfection and the cocktails are a great "pour"...love the margaritas!

There is plenty of "aloha" spirit at this funky little stop on the little road in the tiny town of Makawao.

Don't miss it.

1  Thank sun_traveler08
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Our bike tour took us here for breakfast, and all I can say is that it tasted like fast food, except it took them a long time to get it out of the kitchen. Scrambled eggs were hard and a bit dry, and the breakfast burrito was supposed to be filled with eggs, potato and chorizo. Found the eggs & potato, but a couple teeny, tiny bits of mystery meat, virtually devoid of any taste were hardly what we were expecting. I can't imagine that the lunch fare would be much better.
The food didn't make us ill or anything, but I wouldn't bother going back.

Reviewed October 22, 2006

Whie visiting the Upcountry, we decided to stop for lunch in Makawao. Polli's had been recommended to us by our bike tour guide & it didn't dissappoint. We ate the best beef tacos that we’ve ever had. The margarita, rice & beans were tasty, too. The atmosphere was casual and the staff was very hospitable. With the delicious food, generous portions & great prices, we will be sure to go back on our next visit to Maui.

1  Thank carolinagal68
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We thought this was just overpriced mediocre Mexican food. After two days of being sick, we wanted to torch the place.