“upcountry trip but worth the drive”

Casanova Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Casanova Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Makawao
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Delicatessen
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Baldwin Avenue
Transit: Maui Bus stops at Casanova parking lot.
Description: Often rated Best Italian restaurant in the State of Hawaii, Casanova is a staple of the lifestyle of Upcountry Maui since 1986. From early morning breakfast thru lunch and dinner and to late night clubbing and dancing on selected nights of the week, Casanova is the ritual destination of Maui residents and of visitors on their way back from Haleakala Crater. The Casanova experience is much more than its awards winning sumptuous authentic Italian cuisine. It's meeting and mingling with Maui folks in the very spot where they like to dine, meet and mingle. A must do when in Upcountry Maui.
CT
“upcountry trip but worth the drive”
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Food and service is great. Cuisine is mainly northern italian but they also serve gourmet pizzas. The prices are moderate and the restaurant seems to serve more locals than visitors. For visitors the trip is 30 to 60 minutes drive from the various tourist hotel locaions but is worth the time. The pasta dishes are awesome, although for some the Fra Diavlo could be a little too hot for some tastes.

Maui
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, Great Crowd”
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I often go to Casanova Deli for lunch because their sandwiches are simply scrumptuous and it's fun to sit on the front porch and watch the easy movement of our little town. The restaurant has all my favorite foods, it's so hard to decide what to eat, and I can see and chit chat with many people I know who live upcountry. Then on weekends my friends and I go dancing there or just to enjoy the evenings' entertainment and meet up with friends. It's a popular place! It breaks my heart to see it got some bad mentions.

1 Thank RebeccaMaui
hawaii
“Casa-disgusting”
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I was appalled at the service at casanova and the cleanliness of the restaurant. There were cockroaches running around in the restaurant, the server was rude and messed up our order and set the table with dirty silverware, and the pasta was undercooked

Honolulu, HI
“Casanova? Try Casa no-no.”
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We attempted to have breakfast there on August 11. Walked in, got nastiness and attitude from the countergirl, and walked out. This is what set her off: I asked what was in the omelet, which was a good thing because the "omelet" came with NOTHING, and you must order "add ins" at a separate charge for each thing. That doesn't really qualify as an omelet, does it? Isn't that just un-scrambled eggs until you add the add-ins? Nevertheless, I was going to order a veggie omelet until her attitude went from rude and impatient to downright nasty. Don't roll your eyes at me, honey, and expect me to give you my money. Good help is so hard to find.

Maui, Hawaii
“Losing its touch...”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We are locals who live in Makawao. The last three times we've been in, our wine glasses have been dirty (lipstick and lip impressions on the rim). If the wine glasses aren't clean, what is the kitchen like? On one occasion, we brought it to the attention of our server, and she was reluctant to bring me another glass of wine (despite that I had only taken a sip from the glass). On that same visit, she made a mistake on the order and my mother in law's entree didn't come until the rest of us were finished with ours.

On our last visit, my husband ordered the Rigatoni Beverly Hills (his favorite), and promptly became sick with food poisoning. That's enough for us.

We used to frequent the restaurant at least once a month, if not more. We enjoyed the menu, reasonable prices and nice wine list. But if they can't keep the restaurant clean and cook their food properly, we won't come back.

2 Thank mauiartquilter