“Perfection”
Review of Aloha Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makawao
Aloha Cottage
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This was my first trip to Maui and I stayed in the Thai Tree House. It was my utter good fortune. It really is the perfect place to rest and recuperate. As I drove through the bamboo on the approach to the house I knew that my stay would be a special. I grinned as I explored the gorgeous place where I would be staying for the coming week. Immaculately clean, spacious, light, although surrounded by trees, airy and with supremely tasteful decor and furnishing. The deck is gorgeous, looking out through the trees down the valley and with a sizeable hot tub.

The property is so peaceful and secluded. I did not see a soul unless I wanted to. The owners value the privacy of their guests very highly, but, if asked, make themselves available to offer invaluable advice known only to locals. I availed myself of their knowledge and had many wonderful and very special experiences that I would probably have missed had I followed the guidebook. Maui has so much to offer and Aloha Cottage and the Thai Tree House are ideally situated for exploring every corner of the island and without ever needing to encounter a "resort"... and why would you want to if you come to Maui? I felt completely at home whether returning to crash after a day packed with hiking, swimming or flying (yes, check out flying lessons in Hana) or choosing to stay at the cottage and have a quiet day reading and pottering around the super cute town of Makawao. Being on the slopes of Haleakala makes it an ideal base for heading up to watch the sun rise or set from the crater's edge...but bring warm clothes for the sunrise! You can also get a head start on most of the rest of the island on the "must-do" drive to Hana (Tip: before you do the drive, get the owners to tell you how to get to the bamboo forest.)

I really loved my time on Maui. It was a much needed vacation and Maui proved to be paradise. The focal point for that experience of paradise was staying in this truly wonderful property. I cannot recommend it too highly... I just hope it doesn't get so busy that I can't get a booking! I plan to return to Maui soon, and often. There is nowhere else that I would consider staying in the future. Just perfect. Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank CharlieNS65

Reviewed February 12, 2012

My partner and I just spent a lovely, private and beautifully romantic week at the Aloha Cottage. We chose the Aloha Cottage instead of the Thai Tree House, because we liked the rounded architecture and the skylight. When we got there, we were amazed! The sky was so clear, and the stars were fully visible through the very large skylight over our bed. So romantic!
The outdoor soaking tub was fabulous. There is a privacy screen which we didn't need because we never saw another soul, but I could see how some people might feel more secure with it there. The cottage is surrounded by bamboo, and while the owners live on property, their house is far away and the landscaping around the cottage makes it completely separate and exclusive. There is a gulch filled with eucalyptus trees that separates the cottage from the neighboring property so we really were in a world of our own.
We loved the Aloha Cottage. Everything from the architecture and furnishings to the amenities and location has been carefully considered. We will definitely return here to relax and rejuvenate in the peaceful respite of upcountry Maui!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed in the Aloha Cottage (not the Thai Treehouse) for a couple nights of our honey moon. There were several things that stole the romance from the experience.

All of the curtains--including the large front glass doors and the toilet--are very transparent. The windows in front of the sink have no curtains whatsoever (and you have to remember that this is one big room so these windows look at the bed). When the lights are on at night, the interior of the cottage (the bed) is very visible from the outside. We felt like we had no privacy.

While the cottage is in a rural area, there are a handful of houses within a hundred yards that all have easy yard access to the property. In particular, there is a road that faces the front of the cottage on which some tractors and cars traveled a few times during the day and night. When we were in the outdoor tub, we had the awkward experience of making eye-contact with some men on a tractor. We used the tub during the day because we did not feel safe being out there at night. There is also someone's yard that connects to the back of the cottage where there is the window to the bathroom. No major obstacles.

We also had a hard time locking one of the front windows. It took many attempts to align the two panes such that the latch held in place. In general the security was flimsy, including a ridiculously-visible spare key.

When we came back from dinner after sunset, the property was pitch-black. It was very scary climbing the long stone stairway in the dark. When we called the owner about this the next day, she fixed the path lights. Apparently, a previous guest had requested absolute darkness, and this had not been reverted for our arrival. The driveway to the cottage is gravel, and at one point in the night we clearly heard a car pull up on gravel and a door close. We couldn't tell if it was the neighboring house or our driveway. The insecure windows and doors combined with the darkness and unguarded proximity to other houses made us feel visible and unsafe. Anyone who was on the adjacent driveway or who walked onto the property would be able to clearly see the bed. We had intended to have a romantic evening, but we spent that night (and the following) sitting on the small carpet behind the bed as it was the only place in the cottage not visible from a gauzy-curtained window.

Looking back we felt that we should have stayed at a hotel. While it may not have had all of the intended romantic details, it would have at least provided a fundamental assurance of privacy and security. We can't recommend the Aloha Cottage for a honeymoon.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R G
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed at Aloha Cottage for 2 1/2 weeks in May, and we loved it. The setting is wonderful and very private. Surrounded by eucalyptus trees with winding vines of jasmine wafting their scents into the air, and the songs of a thousand birds upon awakening, this is truly serenity and beauty. Oh, and you can glimpse the sunsets over the valley, as well as the stars through the skylite at night. The interior of the cottage is beautifully appointed with various local and Asian style furnishings. It contains everything you need for a great self sufficient vacation. Although the cottage is on 5 acres with another cottage and main house, you cannot see either of these from Aloha. We ran into the caretaker and owner once during our stay - they are lovely people who are available should you need anything, but also respect your privacy if that is what you are after.
Upcountry Maui is an experience that is off the beaten track, and isn't accessed by as many visitors. It is definitely worth the visit to beautiful Olinda, if you want to have a more rural experience. It's the best of both worlds - peace and quiet with privacy, and yet only a 10 minute drive down a beautiful winding country road to the closest town of Makawao, where you can find everything from a great latte to the best cream puffs in Hawaii.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Took about nearly 1-2 hours or so to get from Kannapali to the cottage. You really do need to have the instructions they give you because its pretty difficult to find. Basically because your on the road to the accommodation but you have to look out for the specific mailboxes to turn left into the small 1 way concrete road that leads up to the fence. Punch the key and door opens and you arrive to the cottage.

We saw the main house in the background and I think there are two cottages because we turned left and I think if you turn right, theres a 2nd cottage. Normally they advise what time you arrive so they can greet you but we were running late so I called to let them know but we didn’t have a chance to meet them. Anyway they leave the key in the door and you enter the cottage. It’s a nice cottage with the bed in the middle, little kitchen and nice bathroom.

The room from the bedroom to outside is just trees which was a bit disappointing, was hoping there was a view out to the ocean or something but in a way adds a bit of privacy because if you use the spa outside e.g. during the night, then no-one can really see you. The only downside to the cottage was that there was no drying/washing machine to clean/dry the clothes. We had to manually clean our clothes and whilst we left it outside, it didn’t really dry and had to utilise the aircon heat to dry our clothes.

There is a soaking tub in the front but its not jetted, just put hot water in it and perhaps bubble batch.

Whilst the cottage is nice & relaxing, if you’re here to do nothing, then this is a place to go because its quite expensive. Although there are some places around that you could do that is near by. One night we drove to Paia and man was it packed! I normally get a parking but after doing 3-rounds, I couldn’t find any at all so just drive back to Makawao to the general store and we stocked up on the food they had there. We managed to go to Paia the night after and was weird because it wasn’t packed, mainly because we went late.

If your after a touristy area to see the sights of what Maui has to offer, I’d recommend probably just going to one of the tourist beach resorts they have. Because we only stayed for 3 nights, I think even 2 nights would be suffice at the Cottage. But if your here to relax and get away from the hussle and bussle from all the tourists, this is perfect to go – very secluded.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sydney_Aussie21
Reviewed July 24, 2010

After reading some of the more scathing reviews of this cottage, I was aprehensive about the experience when I got there. I can now say with great confidence that those people are way off base! This cottage was incredible and exceeded all of our expectations from the word go! It was clean, gorgeous, and the ultimate getaway experience if that is what you are looking for. The only complaint is that the windows looking out on the porch have no blinds. When the sun is up, you're up. A very small price to pay and it made for longer, more enjoyable days for our honeymoon! The owners gave us our space but were ready and willing to help out on a moments notice (and they did) when my wife was rushed into surgery the last day. Great end to the honeymoon :) The drive up is incredible, bring a camera! One tip, make sure to stop by a supermarket for food that first might because the Makawao stores close pretty early. Get some essentials and you're set.
A picture perfect honemoon, would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PhantomReg
Reviewed June 30, 2010

WOW! Words cannot describe what an amazing experience The Aloha
Cottage was for my husband and I. It was the perfect setting for our
honeymoon and I could not have asked for a better start to our
marriage. Everything----right down to the details was perfect. The
Aloha Cottage is beautiful and I would recommend to anyone looking for
a truly "dream" vacation!!! This place is a gem!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mselig
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
9 mi away
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat

Been to Aloha Cottage? Share your experiences!