“Missing some things”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Okatie, South Carolina
“Missing some things”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel is nice, but missing some things that would make it worth the money. Because the rooms are around the yoga lawn, there is not much privacy. I would expect robes to be provided for privacy in the rooms as well as walking to and from the pool. Rooms are quite small and furniture. Breakfast was not appealing - it didn't even include fruit juice - just some breads and not the freshest fruit. You can order from a menu for $10. The pool and hot tub are very nice.

1 Thank Alice R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Kealakekua, Hawaii
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The website is beautiful and the staff are very nice. The grounds are well maintained and the rooms are clean. The overall feel is very nice loved the fire place during the rain and the lobby. Great class schedule

I do not think it is worth the $ because:

The rooms are tiny, bathrooms are small, and no bath tubs

The pool is too cold to enjoy

The yoga room is right next to the kitchen a very loud place where people hang out and chat like you normally would do in a kitchen but very distracting for yoga or other classes.

The walls are paper thin and you hear everything from rooms next door and outside

Lots of miscommunication with staff although they were very nice and accommodating it was very unprofessional

Overall if the rooms were $100 to $200 cheaper I would def book again but not at the prices listed.

Not worth it to me.

Others may love it!

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Klnelli
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just returned from a 5 night stay. The grounds are beautiful, yoga instruction was great, but there are problems. One morning there was no breakfast and I was told to buy breakfast if the 'complementary' breakfast ran out. Roosters add a rustic feel, but I didn't care for being woken up at 5 am most mornings by their racket. We requested a quiet room 3 months before arrival and were given a room next to the parking lot and road with quite a bit of noise. The room was bare bones - beautiful, but only one towel for two people, no robe or slippers, shampoo not replenished when used up, no phone to call office when we needed another towel. Overall I was disappointed given the cost of the room. Plus, be prepared for the 'daily resort fee'.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the road, but they probably won't listen
2 Thank LosPoblanos01
LumeriaMaui808, Owner at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear LosPoblanos01,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us fell short of your expectations.
I'm glad that you enjoyed our grounds and yoga, but I apologize for the inconvenience and discrepancy with breakfast, the roosters, and your room placement. I've already discussed the breakfast problem with our Chef and General Manager, and they assure me that we will never have such a problem again with the complimentary breakfast running out. Apparently, some of the breakfast staff do not know that if guests show up slightly after breakfast hours (7-10), they are to provide continental breakfast anyway. I do not know if this was the case with you, but either way, continental breakfast is available to any of our guests and will always be available, during morning hours.
We have removed the roosters from our property, and so apologize for your experience. We are grateful to be located in one of the most beautiful and natural parts of Maui, but we do have to contend with nature and wanderers from neighboring farms. I have asked our Property Manager to be more vigilant about removing chickens/roosters and any other wandering neighbors from our property the day they arrive, so that they do not disturb future guests.
I apologize about your room placement as well. I wish you had brought this to our attention by visiting the front desk. We are open 8 am - 10 pm and are here to serve our guests' needs, be that a room reassignment, towels, amenities, or anything else you might need or want.

Thank you for bringing the issues you had here to my attention. I ensure you that steps have been taken to rectify each issue you have raised.
We do hope that you might give us another chance in the future.

Best,
Xorin Balbes
Founder/Owner
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 21, 2014

First I would like to say thank you Xorin Balbes for personally introducing himself to my husband and I. You have a beautiful property and love the fact that you offer all the classes. The only suggestions I have are to supply slippers and robes for the rooms. When I took a shower the floor was so cold I laid towels on the floor and quickly dried myself and put my clothes back on.
My only disappointment was that I could hear the guests in the room next to us and their complete conversations. I know there is nothing you can do about that because the walls are built already. But they are very very thin and you can hear everything through them including people walking. My husband and I were celebrating our 2nd year anniversary and his coming home from being stationed overseas for 2yrs. It wasn't very romantic to hear everything going on in the next rooms. I also hope the breakfast improves a bit. It was just ok. But once again, you have done a fabulous job on the renovation of this property. Not sure if we would return or not.

2 Thank Michele P
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Beautiful, serene place to stay. More like the real sense of Aloha than the big hotels. Not for eveyone, but if you are looking for a place to rejuvenate and relax this is it. Quiet, loved the fact that there is no tv or air conditioning, nice island breezes. The only place that could use a little improvement is the dinner service. But since this a new hotel I am sure they are working to make it better.
w.d.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is within the covered deck, we had a terrific rainstorm and tough on our friends...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LumeriaMaui808, Front Office Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear walter d,

Mahalo for your review of Lumeria Maui! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We were so happy to have you here, and we hope that you stay with us again!
Yes, we are focusing on improving our dinner service - we're in the process of opening a full scale restaurant to our guests and to the public. Thank you for being patient with us as we continue to mature and improve our offerings!

Aloha,

- Lumeria Guest Services
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I spent 5 nights at Lumeria in late February, 2014 -- my first time on Maui. It was the perfect spot for us as we have had enough of the big resort/convention hotel experience. We had a pleasant room with a distant view of the ocean. Scott in the office can find enumerable activities outside Lumeria and the retreat certainly has many varied activities every day. One night we were treated to a Kirtan chanting performance which was unique and enjoyable. The retreat is located on Baldwin Ave. and is convenient to jaunts to Paia and Makawao -- two explorable towns. It is also easy to explore Haleakala crater or drive to Wailia and Makena to see more developed beaches. The owner, Xorin Baldes, and his management, made us feel quite welcome to say the least. The retreat rooms include a complimentary continental breakfast with wonderful fresh baked breads and muffins, fruit and tea or coffee. Light breakfasts are very reasonably priced if you want more. Overall, we will return next trip to Maui.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the interior garden area or the ocean side.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lawyer47
Ottawa
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I ended a 2 week vacation in Paia with 3 nights at Lumeria and it was a great way to end our trip. The entire property was very peaceful with a real sense of zen. Beautiful pool with mountain views and gorgeous landscaping throughout the grounds. We mostly ate off the property because we wanted to absorb as much of Maui before we left. The yoga instruction was world class and my wife enjoyed the spa services.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!