“Truly a peaceful boutique retreat!”

Lumeria Maui Retreat
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lumeria is a jewel! If you looking for a memorable stay you will find it here! Lumeria reminds us to retreat back to a sweet and simple presence of being yet offers it up with comort and luxury. The bedding and linens are of super quality. The lanscape is vast, lush and tropical. The rooms are cushy and the decor is well thought out! You will feel like its your own home away from home! Complimentary yoga classes were AWESOME! Fresh healing juices available daily! Open meditaion room, feeling your bare feet walk across the spacious lawn. The staff is where the treasure really lies! Zorrin - the creator of this Eden, Lisa - the very caring and attentive manager and Vinyasa yoga teacher, Skeeter - the lovely Anusara yoga teacher who fostered many a class with us revealing the beauty of yoga, and Saun - the loving healer! I highly recommend his complimentary healing session! You will want to book a full session after! Then the cafe staff - Jake and Emory - who help you welcome your day with a delcious breakfast display and cleaning staff, Trish - they are all super friendly and personable. It is apparent and authentic that the entire staff cares that you have a good visit at Lumeria! Even if you are the yogi type, you will love Lumeria! Enjoy hammocks swaying in the shade trees, a lovely breeze coming through your window at night lulling you to sleep, beautiful views, star gazing in the hot tub, great food, friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and still close to the craziness in Paia!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KWHolly

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I recently stayed at Lumeria as part of The Daily Love Retreat and must say it was a beautiful place to stay. I loved the old world charm of the building and thing think that not only has Xorin (the owner) done a great job in restoring the place the actual energy that is there is so relaxing.

The rooms were lovely, I had one of the King rooms and the bed was so comfortable, I slept the best I had in a long time. I loved the pebbles that were in the shower, you got a mini massage every time and I thought that it was great they used Aveda products.

The food was fabulous - so tasty and healthy and I loved that it was all organic - The dessert each night was probably the best part and the staff were very friendly.

The salt water pool was very refreshing to jump into and the sunset over it each night was just beautiful to sit and watch - another one of my favourite activities was to sit in the Hammocks and listen to the whispering pines. I also highly recommend sitting out on the lawn at night as you will see shooting stars - we were lucky to have a meteor shower when were there and so many.

I just wanted to say a big thanks to the staff as they were all so helpful and friendly and very engaged in the business - a rarity in many places!!!

If you are looking for a party hotel then this is not it but if you are on a journey of reflection and self discovery and just wanting to switch off from the world then I highly recommend a stay at Lumeria.

Room Tip: I had room 5E which overlooked the pool - really nice to sit out on the balcony of a night.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Miles Davis once said « It’s not the notes you play, it’s the notes you don’t play that matter. » This captures the very essence of Lumeria.

Whether you decide to embark on a cleansing program, join a yoga retreat or have no other agenda than enjoy Maui’s beauty, experiencing Lumeria is a de-cluttering journey.
Walking barefoot on a lush property, meditating on a magical lawn, eating garden-grown papayas, sky gazing on a hammock, exchanging a smile with strangers are all simple yet sometimes forgotten things that brought us back to Life’s essentials.

Being at Lumeria was much more than residing at an eco-luxury resort. Granted, everything indicates you have arrived in a place of utmost refinement as it does offer the highest standards in bedding, bath installations and cleanliness - and this is not to mention the charismatic welcome and thoughtfulness of the entire team! But what sets Lumeria apart is its conduciveness to our connecting with our deep self, with Nature and with our fellow human beings. For instance, we loved the fact that our room windows consisted of mosquito nets and wooden sunblind. We could then embrace Nature’s rhythm and manifestations: a cooling breeze at night, the subtle music of a light rain or, at times, the respectful whisper of other guests.

Lumeria inspired us to open our heart and mind and abandon ourselves. We did put aside the habits we had developed to feel secure and sheltered, and in the end, we left enriched and, indeed, transformed. More than two weeks later and an 18-hour flight away, a new light is still fueling us with vibrant energy and helps us keep a positive and grateful outlook on life.

We feel privileged to have stayed in this tastefully and « soulfully » restored Hawaiian property. We simply cannot wait to return, only for a longer time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
LumeriaMaui808, Owner at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Fanfan-Maile,

Thank you so much for your review. I created Lumeria out of a dream that people would come here and have exactly the experience you had. I am grateful that you embraced and enjoyed the experience!

We feel privileged to have had you here, and we look forward to having you back.

With Much Aloha,

Xorin Balbes

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I first read about Lumeria in Oprah's magazine and was drawn to its concept of being an educational/transformational retreat (in a beautifully eco-friendly-restored historic building). It did not disappoint. This place is not for someone who wants an "active beach front Maui resort." It's "up country" (cooler) in a very tranquil location. The pool overlooks stunning views of the West Maui mountains. The room design was excellent, luxe bathroom with river rock shower, and the bed was divine. Best night's sleep I had our entire trip to Maui. The staff is incredibly kind; much Aloha spirit in this place! The best part for me was drifting into a complete state of relaxation while swaying in a hammock in the pine tree forest on the north side of the property. The wind rushed through the pine trees – it was an instant meditative state! SOOOO relaxing! The overall property is beautifully landscaped, very serene. If you've already booked a trip to Maui, consider trying a one-night stay here like we did (we'll come again and stay longer!). Take a good book to read. Stay up to watch the clear starry night. Enjoy yoga classes on a huge bright green lawn. It's just the right place to recharge, enjoy the silence, and find your center again.

– Joy G

1  Thank Joy G
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our stay at the Lumeria was supposed to be "the great finale" of our honeymoon in Hawaii, but we were disappointed. Based on what we had read on tripadvisor, we decided that we are willing to spend that much money. So I´m writing this review to spare others from doing the same mistake.
First of all let me say that the design of the whole place is absolutely beautiful, no doubt about that.
Our room was great at first sight, but as soon as you start actually living in the room you find out how it really is. Entering the room we had placed some cloths on the cupboard, when we took them off the cupboard they were completely dirty with dust. Taking a closer look at the cupboard, we found that it had not been cleaned in days, maybe weeks. When we tried closing the windows, we really got in trouble since one almost fell apart an another one didn´t close at all. On the wall in the bathroom was an ant trail going all the way from the sink to the window, even though we removed it several times, they kept coming back. Also they was a cockroach living in our bathroom, and the cold water faucet was broken. Not what you expect for US$ 340 per night!
The breakfast is very very small, and we had the worst fruits we ate during our whole honeymoon on Maui. The coffee in the morning didn´t taste good, so we wanted at least take some tea to go, but there were only lids, no cups. So when we asked for cups to go, we were told that they had been ordered but didn´t arrived yet. You would think that in place that calls itself "luxurious", this tiny problem is quickly solved by buying a box of cups until the ordered ones arrive. Well, not at the Lumeria. The next day, and the day after - still no cups. We didn´t have dinner at the Lumeria for several reasons. You need to make a reservation 24 hrs before you would like to have dinner there, it starts at 6 p.m. (which makes it difficult to get there on time if you have activities on the island or on the ocean during the day) and the menu is fixed, so you can´t choose your dinner.
Let´s talk about the staff. We were welcomed very friendly when we arrived, and that´s all we heard or saw from the staff. On the first day I had some questions about different courses, when I went up to reception I was then informed that the list we have in our room was old and that one activity I had chosen wasn´t offered anymore. I wonder how difficult it may be to equip the rooms with updated lists.
I participated in one course on essential oils which was good. The only thing I found very strange was that of the 7 participants only 3 were guests, the others were locals. That itself is not a problem. What I didn´t liked was the fact that there was this very sweet family (mother, father and son, guests at the Lumeria) that wanted to participate in the class, the little boy (3 years old) really behaved very good, was quite and calm, but the lady that held the course asked the mother and the boy to leave as the boy came up to her to take a look at the oils. She said that he was disturbing her class and that she was not able to hold her class this way. When the mother and the boy had left, 3 local girls came in (30 minutes too late) and we started the class all over again! For me that was way more disturbing than the little boy.
Before our stay at the Lumeria we had stayed 7 nights in a wonderful bed and breakfast where we received way more service and care from the staff, where the rooms were great and intact and where we payed less than a third of the money we spent at the Lumeria.

9  Thank carounderwater
LumeriaMaui808, Owner at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Carounderwater,

I am sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay at Lumeria Maui. As a new business, we are working very hard to perfect our systems and we do appreciate hearing all different types of feedback from our guests. As Lumeria's owner, I wish you had come to us with some of these problems and concerns while you were here, as we would have appreciated the opportunity to address all of these issues. Lumeria's General Manager and I are addressing each of your concerns. We were very surprised to hear the issue about the cleanliness of your room, as we have not had complaints about cleanliness. We have instructed all of our housekeepers to take special care with the dusting of cupboards. We check all rooms after they are cleaned, prior to check-ins.
Regarding the ants and other bugs - we do have a pest control system, but as this is summer in the tropics and we do maintain organic standards as often as possible at Lumeria, bugs do occasionally make it into the rooms. I apologize about the line of ants - that should not have happened, and we have doubled our efforts to control pests during these summer months.
As Lumeria Maui is a restored historic building (oldest wooden structure on Maui), we do have to deal with older fixtures, such as the windows that were problematic for you. When restoring the buildings, I tried to salvage as many of the original fixtures as possible, to retain the original historic feel of the structures. I apologize that you had trouble with the windows - we have instructed our property maintenance workers to take a look at all the windows on the property and upgrade components where necessary. If you would inform us of your room number, that would be great, as we would like to ensure that these issues have been properly attended to.
The broken water faucet is a problem that we were not aware of, and we wish you had brought it to our attention. We were also very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the continental breakfast buffet- we get many positive comments about our breakfasts and we're disappointed that the breakfast fell short of your expectations.
Lumeria Maui is committed to providing an educational travel experience for our guests; as such, we seek to provide a wide range of classes and programming. We will review our binders to make sure they are current, and we will review your feedback about the aromatherapy class with all of our instructors and practitioners. We take pride in our programming, and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the class you participated in.

We thank you again for your feedback. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and we really wish you had brought these issues to our attention while you were here, so that we could have made your stay at Lumeria more enjoyable. We would love a chance to make the improvements outlined above, and we'd like to offer you a future 2-night stay at Lumeria Maui as our guests, so that we can give you the retreat experience we would have liked you to have had the first time around. I would love to talk further - please give me a call at your convenience. I can be reached at +1(808) 579-8877.

With Aloha,

Xorin Balbes
Founder/Owner, Lumeria Maui

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just spent 5 days/4 nights at Lumeria Maui and LOVED it. The experience surpassed my expectations. It was truly a luxurious, relaxing retreat from which I emerged rested and healed from my high tech job. This was exactly what I needed. When I checked in, I was given a tour of the property before being escorted to my room. The property itself is absolutely gorgeous - from the landscaping, the furnishings, crystals and statuary used for decorating, the pool, to the hammocks in the pine grove in back. The buildings are low and graceful surrounding a huge lawn area in the center where they have yoga classes in the morning. I loved just wandering around the grounds. I also loved the little touches like the complimentary continental breakfast, and flavored (cucumber, mint, or lime) ice water dispensers scattered around property. There are also really cool spa-type treatments available on-site such as massage, crystal healing (like reiki), shamanic healing, and sound therapy. I had a crystal healing treatment from Evie that was absolutely awesome. It was the high point of my entire stay! Everyone on staff was so helpful. I just can't say enough good things about Lumeria. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back facing the pine grove are very private and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DimSumGirl
Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you want a truly outsanding small hotel that is run by people who care about every detail, Lumeria will not disappoint. The setting in "upcountry" Maui is truly special as is the restored historic building. The vibe is slow and quiet but there are so many good restaurants and beaches etc. close by (Paia & Makawao area) that there is lots to do (it is Maui!) and you can come and go quickly and easily and spend as much or as little time on the property as you like. Overall, it is simply an amazing place to unwind.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the suites if you have a long stay planned (i.e. + ~$100 per night)
1  Thank Paul J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Maui Coast Hotel
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!