“Dream come True!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Papaikou, Hawaii
“Dream come True!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

WOW...Lumeria Maui does exist just as it appears in its website's photos. It is truly beautiful with gorgeous gardens and such exceptional attention to detail. But to experience the peaceful and heartwarming feelings you just have to visit- I will jump at the chance to stay here again. The staff are more than friendly and accommodating...it is obvious they love what they do. The owners have answered their heart's calling and there is an obvious infusion of Light. Mahalo for creating my dream's vision on Maui!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jenbird1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was my first trip to Maui, or any of the islands. I am not a 'resort' kind of girl. Lumeria fit me & my needs perfectly. It was remote enough for the times I wanted to be away from it all, but close enough and central to everything Maui has to offer that I did everything I wanted and did not feel at all put out with the travel. The staff worked diligently with me and coordinated every little detail so that my stay was everything I could have hoped for. The facility is small enough to provide the opportunity to get to know and to converse with the other guests, as well as Zorin. However, there were many days I did not see another individual, and that was alright with me.

I was there at the same time as the "roach haven" reviewer; I do not know who they are, and I assume they are the reason that I observed maintenance folks spraying one morning. While there were insects in my room also, I did not have an "infestation," nor did my vehicle have any. I did close my car windows most evenings, but my room windows were never closed (no air conditioning & who wants to miss the sound and smell of the beautiful Maui breeze?!) and I frequently left my door hanging open while I walked to the kitchen, around the grounds, or sat on my deck. In my opinion, insects go along with the territory of the tropics and staying in a place where the doors and windows are open and you are closer to and part of nature. In addition, Lumeria is eco-aware, and if you use these type of products, you know they take time to work.

The food was absolutely amazing. Both the 'to-go" lunches that were prepared every afternoon for me - in a manner that allowed me to take them with me on my adventure or stay in the kitchen and eat- as well as the dinners. I was loathe to leave Lumeria to sample any of the Maui eateries!! I did have dinner out twice and lunch once, and while the places I went to were good, I must say Lumeria was better. The chefs did a terrific job of accommodating my dietary needs (I am vegetarian), they asked about my preferences and altered later meals in accordance with those preferances. I had many discussions with the morning/lunch chef and even learned a few new recipies that I took home with me. What more could you ask for?!

I had 3 different massages while I was there. Every one was fantastic in its own right. I also did stand up paddling lessons...with the most terrific, gracious and patient woman! I participated in a sunrise bike tour of Haleakala and a zip line tour of West Maui mountains...both were great experiences. Every one of these adventures were arranged with the help of Christine and Tina. Only one planned activity did not occur, and that was through no fault of Lumeria. As a matter of fact, they did everything in their power to help with that situation also. Wonderful wonderful people!!

Unless you plan to stay on sight the entire time, and there is plenty at Lumeria to keep you there, you will need a car. There is no pool, but with the ocean so close, I never would have set foot in it. There is a hot tub, nestled away in a beautiful spot where you can smell the light scent of the jasmine nearby.

I am sure I am forgetting something that I wanted to mention. All I can say is go there. Experience it. I highly recommend it and am sure you will not be sorry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dawn b
La Canada Flintridge, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We'd never been to a yoga and meditation retreat before. We wanted something different, peaceful and restful. We got more than we asked for. This is a very special, spiritual property. That being said, anyone can have a good time here as it is well located and so beautiful. Staff is great. We loved Radha's yoga class and the meditation classes too. No air-conditioning and you need a car to get to the beach. The Maui air is so luscious, we wouldn't have wanted air-conditioning. Food is excellent. We will be annual visitors!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carbondale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Lumeria is a super-conscious, beautiful and sensual escape. The gardens, crystals, twinkling lights spread throughout the tropical trees and pathways all conspire to pull you into a dreamy retreat-state! Our group loved it! The food was fantastic, and the yoga space serene. "Pineapple Mist" hydrates gardens and your own skin for a few minutes here and there, to be followed by the inevitable rainbows. What a find! Located up the mountain, Lumeria is not too far from the ocean if you have a rental car. There are no shuttles from Lumeria, so be prepared to either sink in deeply on site, or have wheels ready if you are more adventurous!

Room Tip: We liked the rooms off the back, facing the windy ocean side and hammocks. More privacy, less ambie...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Lumeria is simply gorgeous, and that beauty lifts the spirit in a
meaningful and lasting way.

Perched on a quiet hill above the Maui beaches, it is perhaps the ideal
retreat for yoga, or for just re-centering oneself.

It is not your typical Spa/Resort, but rather a much more serene and
contemplative place.

Lumeria's design the tone from the beginning: most of the rooms face a
colorful garden rimmed by a beautiful, huge "putting green" lawn that
faces the morning sunrise.

The staff is equally uplifting, from Christine, the ideal
receptionist/concierge, to the owner/founder, Zorin, the architect who
created this sanctuary. Zorin reflects the place he has created: he is
very approachable, very

welcoming and has a contagious positive aura about him that is so
inspiring on so many different levels. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I absolutely fell in love with this place...the classes, the grounds, the people....absolutely spiritual, charming, healthy and full of good energy. I plan on going back..it was truly amazing :)...the food was great...even though I was traveling alone, I never felt lonely...eating with the other guests and taking the classes..I felt I was part of the community....I was very sad to leave! Can't wait to return :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Denise J
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is is just the place to get away from the crowd. With only 24 rooms, and most people away on day trips, it is truly serene. Just the place to relax on the porches and lawn, read a good book, enjoy the cool breezes, and not think about work. No fighting for a pool chair here.... The dining room serves delicious, gourmet meals with friendly service - but you come and eat as you are, even barefoot. No dress up here. Up country Maui is beautiful, and the close-by towns of Paia and Makaweo also have good restaurants and shopping. Also, it is a good place to start or end your drive to Haleakula - a national park not to be missed. Even if you don't do yoga, you are welcome in the classes if you want to try. This is more than a yoga retreat - it is a place to kick back and take care of yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building 3 - it has good cross-breeze in the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!