“Get Away!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Get Away!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is is just the place to get away from the crowd. With only 24 rooms, and most people away on day trips, it is truly serene. Just the place to relax on the porches and lawn, read a good book, enjoy the cool breezes, and not think about work. No fighting for a pool chair here.... The dining room serves delicious, gourmet meals with friendly service - but you come and eat as you are, even barefoot. No dress up here. Up country Maui is beautiful, and the close-by towns of Paia and Makaweo also have good restaurants and shopping. Also, it is a good place to start or end your drive to Haleakula - a national park not to be missed. Even if you don't do yoga, you are welcome in the classes if you want to try. This is more than a yoga retreat - it is a place to kick back and take care of yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building 3 - it has good cross-breeze in the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and recently returned from our honeymoon at Lumeria Maui and we would definitely say that our stay at Lumeria was wonderfully transformational. Everything there was simply beautiful. From the immaculate grounds, to the decor which includes beautiful pieces of art from many different cultures, to the incredibly comfortable rooms. The level of detail that Xorin put in to the design of Lumeria is incredible. We were able to relax and enjoy ourselves completely. The staff also did a wonderful job of taking care of us. I honestly felt that they enjoyed their jobs and wanted to help you enjoy the experience. Also, the yoga and meditation classes that we took were excellent and my wife and I keep talking about how inspirational the instructors were. We were even able to make friends with a really nice couple from Oakland that I hope will be life-long friends of ours. I do not have a single complaint except that I had to leave, but my wife and I are reading Xorin's book "Soul Space" and trying to incorporate his philosophy on design into our lives as well as the wonderful inspiration that we found while staying at Lumeria. You cannot do better than to stay at Lumeria.

-Linden T.

Room Tip: I liked being on the same side as the yoga room and the kitchen
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I didn't sleep over night at Lumeria but did attend some yoga classes at Lumeria. They have done a wonderful job with the interior and exterior design of the building. It is a tranquil, peaceful space and the grounds are incredible. Perfect mix of structure and wild landscaping. The yoga studio is small but fully equipped with mats, bolsters, blocks. There are lots of windows so the breeze can float in all directions. A lovely place to do yoga, if it is not too hot out, I saw some yogis practicing outside on the lawn.
I wish we could of stayed over night in one of the rooms. I saw a few of them as house keeping was working and they do look just as beautiful as the website photos make them out to be.
It is not close to the water and you do need a car. Approximate drive to Paia town and beach is 10-15 minutes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I had planned a 2 week vacation with one week at Lumeria and the second week on the Big Island. We found Lumeria through Groupon. After three days at Lumeria, we decided to cancel our other reservations to remain at Lumeria for the second week and continue to drink in its magical healing power. This is a truly peaceful and inspiring place to spend a vacation. It has an exceptional setting, incredible interior and landscape design, delicious and healthy breakfasts and dinners, a very attentive staff and excellent yoga instruction (and the showers are amazing!) .... Lumeria isn't just a great small hotel, it's a perfect retreat to deeply rest, reflect and re-energize.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, California
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I came here with my yoga teacher and 10 others, dubious at first because I have been to some funky yoga retreats.

Lumeria is incredible! It is 7 minutes upcountry from Pa'ia town. the rooms and grounds are gorgeous. Beds comfy, decor elegant. You do need a vehicle!

The grounds are beyond compare. The planting, native foliage sculptures, grasses wafting in the breeze views of the ocean, clouds and mountains are mesmerizing .Lots of elegant oversize outdoor furniture, fire pits at night.

Great place to honeymoon, or have a wedding - old world Hawaiian charm plus there are yoga classes 2 x daily for guests.

It has been open since jan so they are ironing out some kinks, everyone here is warm, helpful, happy to please and smile a lot! Breakfasts are good, healthy buffet with fruit, yogurt breads. Dinner had been ihit or miss.

I will come back for sure especially after the pool/ spa/ amenities. Are in - future plans for lumeria.

• Stayed August 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just returned from a week-long yoga retreat at Lumeria, situated between Makawao and Paia, two of Maui's quaintest towns. When I tell you this is the most beautiful, tranquil, perfectly conceived and executed property I've ever visited, I'm still not adequately conveying its singularity. Xorin Balbes is not just an aesthetic genius (from architecture & design to museum quality furnishings and art) but someone who clearly understands the essence of contemplative relaxation. The property is surrounded by stunning views of mountain and sea; outdoor areas are serviced by gentle trade winds, hammocks, evening fire pits and refreshing lemon/mint/rosemary water. The food was sublime, prepared each evening by chef Tyler Woodard, a real gem, whose salads, soups, fish and fresh vegetables were exactly what one yearned for at the end of the day. I was particularly drawn to the gray stone Buddha sitting in a bed of lush red vegetation on the courtyard lawn; at night, candles around his base create a magical vision against the backdrop of twinkling Paia under a star-studded sky. Lumeria is Nirvana.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a "bad" room at Lumeria. There is no pool, which is lovely, th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had a life-changing experience at Lumeria. Xorin Balbes created a perfect sanctuary in Maui. No detail is missed in this breathtaking, immaculate, and meticulously designed retreat center. The cuisine was fresh, tasty and of course health. Everyone at the retreat center took time to make it the best vacation possible.Situated close to Paia, we were able to explore the island of Maui without difficulty. In addition there is so much to do close by, such as hiking, waterfalls, and shopping. I feel so lucky to have experienced such an amazing place. Thank you!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!