“The best deal on Maui”
Review of Peace Of Maui

and 1 more site!
Peace Of Maui
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We stayed here for a night between traveling from Hana to Kahana and found Peace of Maui to be quite possibly the best deal in all of Maui. The house is incredibly clean and homey. The bathrooms and kitchen are well maintained, and the computer (an older Mac) was a nice "extra" touch. It was too warm for the hot tub, but it sure looked inviting! The other guests and travelers were very friendly, and looking back on things, we wished we spent more time here and less in Hana (at Joe's Rentals). The location was great for exploring the north shore and upcountry, and we drove up to the crater for sunrise in about an hour and 15 minutes. Big thumbs up to Peace of Maui!

PS- one recommendation if you are visiting upcountry or Hana- take bug spray or lotion. We got nibbled on more frequently than on the west coast. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rahir

Reviewed July 24, 2007

Peace of Maui is well designed, clean, full of good, welcoming Aloha energy. With 7 room choices in the main lodge, and SIX bathroom areas, 3 with showers and 3 with sink and toilets, it feels more like a B&B than a hostel. The open living/kitchen area is laid out well with great storage, including special pantry areas labeled for your room. You can save $$ for other fun activities by preparing some of your meals here, eating at the tiled breakfast bar or out on the patio.

John and Tammi take good care of this place with regular maintenance and upgrades. They purposely keep the prices reasonable so more people can enjoy Maui, even the ones on tight budgets. We always stay here as we explore other areas of the island, so convenient to so many places - Kahului, airport, Hana Highway, Paia, Baldwin Beach, Ho'okipa, or upcountry to Makawao, Haiku, or Kula.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank LinakaJoy
Reviewed July 11, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Peace of Maui for 8 nights. We went completely off of the reviews on sites like this and we were very pleased at our stay. I was initially concerned that we put all of our faith in the one place and would be disappointed, but it was great. We stayed in the Pineapple Hale which was very cute. It had great windows to see the fields behind us and the Haleakala volcano in the distance. We kept our windows open the entire trip. There was a great breeze all through our trip. The other concern I personally had was having the bathroom so far away from the room, but that wasn't a big deal at all. I got up a few times at night, but it was pretty well lit and I never had any problems, I always felt very safe. The place was very clean, bathrooms and showers included and I never had a problem with not being able to shower or use the restrooms when I wanted to. The owners were great and very helpful in where to eat around the area. This was our first trip to Hawaii so neither of us knew anything about Maui so we did a lot of exploring. This place is great if you don't necessarily need beach access close by and have a car. We spent a lot of time in Lahaina (45 min drive) and Kihei (about 20 min drive) which were fun cities near the beaches and at times it would have been nice to be closer to those areas so we could clean up easier, but it really wasn't that big of a deal to go out straight from the water usually. The drive during the day definately wasn't a big deal because it is so beautiful that there is so much to see. I would stay here again and I'm very picky when it comes to accomodations. The price was more than reasonable for Maui and because we stayed here we were able to stay much longer than if we had stayed at any hotel. Overall it was worth it. We did see the spider the one girl mentioned in her last review, but we only saw it once and it was on the top corner of the wall. There were geckos on the Hale walls, but they never bothered us. We had an awesome trip and it was great that we could stay for so inexpensive in such a nice place.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LV2Travel_8
Reviewed June 3, 2007

This is the place we were most worried about when leaving LA to go to Maui. When we arrived, we were quite pleased. My boyfriend and I stayed in the "pineapple hale" for 2 nights and found it very relaxing. It is set apart from the house so you don't get the noise of the house. However, if you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, you will use a flashlight to wander into the house to use the shared facilities. Our room was very clean, as were the shared bathrooms. My only negative was the GIANT spiders that loved hanging out in the restrooms. (I would not have been able to shower had they been in the shower rooms) They have free high speed internet, which was very nice, but the jacuzzi situation left much to be desired. We were not brave enough to go in it! If you are on a budget, don't mind shared living and have a car, which you really need on Maui, it's a pretty good deal.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank campchick
Reviewed March 3, 2007

A couple friends and I booked our rooms here for a two day trip and found it to be perfect. We booked a room with two twin beds and another room with a queen sized bed. Both rooms were clean, well-lit, accessorized with TV, and towels. The bathrooms were clean and well stocked. We had no problem with noise, but it seems like the groups that stay here are here to experience Maui and relax, not a bunch of party hard vacationers. The location was perfect- true it's not the resort area but barely a 15 minute drive away was Paia with its cute little restaurants and shops. Granted we were college students and didn't mind the communal bathrooms and a kitchen, but I would not hesitate to recommend this place to my parents.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank tackmi
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I describe Peace of Maui as halfway between a bed and breakfast and a European hostile and I don't mean that in a bad way, just a warning. If you want a resort, expect the best, gotta stay on the beach, and love paying 400 a night , do not stay here. It is nice and "homey". You get to meet other guests as the living room and kitchen are shared, I liked that kind of experience, met good people. I picked huge avocados on tree in the back and there is a pineapple field right behind. Clean enough. Nice owners. Rooms are small but you have a big common room to hang out in. With a full kitchen I cooked steaks for half the guests one night and had a good time. I think your nuts if you spend much time in the hotel in Maui anyway so it is a good choice.

It isn't for everyone, but it can drastically cut the cost of your trip and I enjoyed staying there (more so than a 250 a night place I did the trip before) but I am not overly picky.

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled with friends
1  Thank kb_Abq
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Peace of Maui is more of a hostel then hotel. Rooms are small and bathrooms are shared. It is clean and offers good value for money. The people who run it are very nice and friendly. You need a car to stay here.It is about 15 minutes from OGG / Kahlalui airport

• Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank EricBlair
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Maui Seaside Hotel
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#3 of 6 in Paia

Been to Peace Of Maui? Share your experiences!