“Unattended, self-service only”

Peace Of Maui
Bend, Oregon
“Unattended, self-service only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

During my stay there I didn't see the host at all. The rooms are unattended. Everything is self-service by posted signs. You can use the kitchen but you are expected to clean the dishes, dry them, put them back and wipe the counter. Bathroom and shower are down the hall. I saw a male guest come out of his room in his briefs. Price is low though. Wish someone is there taking care of the guests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Ben W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed in the cottage and it was very comfortable for two. Lots of thoughtful extras for your comfort and cooking while staying here. Host very friendly and knowledgeable. Convenient location upcountry. Bed was comfortable. Seemed a very good value considering other options on Maui. It is not fancy but not contrived either. The cottage was $200 per night including taxes and cleaning. A negative for us was the road noise which was persistent most of the night...only dampened by the pouring rain. It is winter!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CGA8401
Big Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed at Tammi's place several times.
It is clean and well maintained. It is like a b & b,
except you make your own breakfast. There is a complete
kitchen, open all the time. Just bring and fix your meals.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaneohe, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed at God's peace of Maui numerous times. Each time we enjoyed our experience. There was even one time we had a last minute visitor join us and they were able to accommodate us. We usually make our first night at God's Peace and then head to Hana in the morning. Great location to easily access all parts of Maui. Will definitely stay here again. Great bathrooms/showers/kitchen. Plenty of supplies and even games and books. The fruit trees are always a pleasant treat as well.

Room Tip: If you would like a more private experience the banana hut is the room for you...keep in mind you wi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Graham, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Myself and my travel buddies loved staying at Peace of Maui during our first Hawaiian vacation! I knew when I was looking for somewhere to stay I did NOT want to stay with a load of other tourists. We are far more interested in the out-in-the-country kind of feel. No, I couldn't walk right out of our room onto a beach from Peace of Maui, but I was looking for something rural and I did not think the distance we had to travel to get to one was terrible at all! I felt like were were central to everything we wanted to do. Go up to Haleakala for a hike, take a scenic drive (like on the Road to Hana, lots to do on that day trip!), and yes, spend some time on the beaches and join in on snorkeling excursions. Our plan from the start was to rent a car so having to drive each day was something we expected and willingly accepted.

For us, booking was easy and the owner was awesome! We stayed for a week in the Cottage so we had essentially a small home to ourselves on the property- its own bathroom, living room with a TV, kitchen, dining room, washer and dryer, porch with seating and covered parking. For this reason I cannot speak to the other accomodation options- I know there was a shared kitchen in the main house for guests. There is a hot tub but we didn't use it. The owner's family lives upstairs and guests stay in rooms downstairs. Awesome views from our porch! Honestly, the mattresses and pillows were the most comfortable I've ever slept on! I felt so rested even when we went to bed late and had to wake up early for our day's adventures. Peace of Maui has a much more rustic, lived-in feel which is completely our taste- not modern and sterile. She also has a large collection of beach accessories (skim boards, boogie boards, snorkel gear, ect) that she gives guests access to for no additional charge that you can use indefinately during your trip.

The only potential drawback that I can assume others might see is "cleanliness". Like I mentioned, it's does not have a sterile feel like most hotels I've stayed in which I was thankful for. We did fine critters inside- salamanders and bugs- but we was not put off by this at all! We thought it was pretty cool to come home from our day trips to find a little lizard sleeping in our fresh cut flowers or a colorful tropical bug on the wall :) It in no way felt unhealthy to us.

We didn't spend much time in the Cottage other than dinner, planning for the next day's adventure and sleeping, but I absolutely loved staying there! I not only recommend it for others but if we go to Maui again I am likely to check availability here first!

VISIT THEIR WEBSITE FOR PICTURES AND MORE INFORMATION!

Room Tip: I would recommend nothing less than the Cottage if you have enough people for that to make sense (a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Katy, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

It's not a bad little out of the way place, don't get me wrong. It's very quiet, and the breeze off the mountain is worth it. However I'd caution that its not a B&B in the traditional sense. You do get a reasonably comfortable bed, but breakfast is instant oatmeal and the like. It's all well organized if you want to go and buy some food for your stay, but be aware that that's pretty pricey as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nejrob
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The location is great if you're looking for nature, a retreat from the busy touristy areas. You will have to drive a bit to get to the touristy sides of town. Quiet and peaceful and the surroundings are nice. The building itself is a bit rundown inside. It's all relative I suppose, in Hawaii and in Maui things in general are rundown. Self-service and cheap pricing (for Maui) make it a plus. However I don't get all these 5-star reviews for cleanliness. This place is closer to a hostel and not a bed and breakfast. Never stayed in a hostel, but if you value cleanliness this place might not be for you. We stayed in the lodge, so can't comment on the cottage.The room itself was acceptable, but the bathrooms made me feel dirty. I wore shower shoes. I never used the kitchen or living area, it didn't feel clean. Didn't see the other guests much, and they pretty much kept to themselves. Sound between rooms was average, can hear the toilet flushing (next door) and doors shutting. The breeze was nice and could hear birds in the morning. All in all though, I like things to feel and look clean, so I won't be returning here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Island G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,082 reviews
Kuau Inn
Kuau Inn
#1 of 3 in Paia

Been to Peace Of Maui? Share your experiences!