Tripadvisor
Makawao
Review Highlights
VIP experience

You will not find a guide who puts in more love, time and energy into a tour than Pono. The... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Kacorrow1
South Burlington, Vermont
Outstanding touring experience with Pono!

Open Eyes Tour in Maui is certainly the most appropriate name for traveling with Pono for a tour... read more

Reviewed January 12, 2020
Flight50

All reviews pono fried musical instruments hawaiian culture sea turtles customized tour his knowledge road to hana fruit private tour picnic lunch organic farm black sand beach ginger bread beautiful handmade turtles coming dream vacation off the beaten path
Selected filters
Reviewed June 20, 2018

My wife and I wanted to take a guided tour of Maui to celebrate our anniversary and
after some research decided to book a date with Pono.
We thoroughly enjoyed our journey, visiting many scenic spots and learning more about
the island of Maui. (Pono did all the driving)
This trip exceeded our expectations!
Thank you Pono for a memorable experience.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Close your eyes, and soak in the true soul of tranquil island music and authentic Hawaiian language, drift in the fragrance of ambrosial pikaki, savor the burst of unique tropical tastes from homegrown island fruit, let your wholistic self discover surprisingly wondrous vistas that rival anything seen before. Now wrap these up with insightful stories, by Pono, the charismatic guide of Open Eye Tours. We wanted an experience, not a commonplace tour. Something customized to our individual taste, not something from a travel brochure. Something that gave us a unique perspective, something spiritual. Pono does his homework with care and genuine interest. Prior to our excursion, Pono personally called to engage in a discovery process of our likes/dislikes, interests, activity-level, tastes, and expectations. His respect for the island is testament to his gracious and savoir-faire approach to sharing its extraordinary gifts with us. Thank you Pono, for giving us a total experience, and a lifetime memory that is bound to surface in our mind’s eye, whenever and wherever we are.

Reviewed June 14, 2018

Pono is VERY knowledgeable about not just Maui, but the all of the Hawaiian culture, history, language, secret places to visit, etc. If you want a customized tour for your family, this is the way to go. We had our 7 and 8 year old, and they loved the Ukele songs he played for them. Pono took us to places only the locals would know about, and that is why we enjoyed this tour so much! At the end of the tour, he took us to a place where we saw 70 turtles on the beach - not something you get everyday! Do this tour if you want something custom, cultural, and not commercialized!

Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

We spent our last full day on Maui (of a ten day trip) with Pono on his tour. Our group was myself (woman in her 40s), my husband (man in his forties) and our mothers (73 and 82). My husband and his mother have been to Maui many times over the course of the last 30 years. I have been to Maui before myself. I was concerned that after 9 days of exploring the Island on our own (and my husband and his mother’s previous extensive trips) we might be bored on the tour or be seeing things we had seen before (or things that were very similar). This was not the case. Pono took us on a part of the Island we had never explored. We had a beautiful nature watch (where we did not encounter any other people on the entire walk (something we had not encountered before on our other excursions)). We also saw some beautiful sights and vistas we had not seen before. Pono was wonderful about tailoring the tour to our requests and making sure our mothers were able to physically handle the excursions. My favorite parts of the tour with Pono were his discussions of the history of the island and how the original Hawaiian people had lived. I also liked seeing glimpses of how current day Maui residents live as well. The beautiful picnic lunch Pono provided was excellent. So many wonderful and fresh fruits from his garden. Yum! I would highly recommend a private tour with Pono if you want to see parts of Maui that are not necessarily in all the guide books or part of the larger package tours. We all had a wonderful time and were sad when our tour ended and we had to part ways with our new friend Pono.

Reviewed April 25, 2018 via mobile

I have never done a review, but I felt compelled to write a positive review about Pono, our guide in Maui. I was referred to him from a friend, and I’m so grateful I got the chance to take a tour with him! We stayed at the beautiful Andaz resort in Wailea, and we spent an entire day with Pono. He shared a wealth of knowledge about Hawaiian culture. He brought instruments and taught our 12 year olds how to play the eukelale!! He was genuine and kind. Sometimes it can be hard to engage two 12 year old boys, but he nailed it and taught them so much about the Aloha spirit. I feel like our boys were able to come home with more of an understanding of Hawaii and it’s rich history, rather than just spending the week at the resort. I highly recommend spending a day with Pono!!

Date of experience: April 2018
pono808, Owner at Open Eye Tours & Photos, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2018

Nice memories made! Enjoyed sharing some of what makes Maui special with you....Thanks much for your enthusiastic interest, participation, kindness, and generosity! Your son picked up on 'ukulele chords and rhythm quite well, and I was delighted he got to play through a whole popular song! Hope he'll continue- nice lifelong fun hobby!
Take good care, A hui hou, until we meet again, Aloha,
Pono