Tripadvisor
Makawao
Review Highlights
VIP experience

You will not find a guide who puts in more love, time and energy into a tour than Pono. The... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Kacorrow1
South Burlington, Vermont
Outstanding touring experience with Pono!

Open Eyes Tour in Maui is certainly the most appropriate name for traveling with Pono for a tour... read more

Reviewed January 12, 2020
Flight50

All reviews pono fried musical instruments hawaiian culture sea turtles customized tour his knowledge road to hana fruit private tour picnic lunch organic farm black sand beach ginger bread beautiful handmade turtles coming dream vacation off the beaten path
Selected filters
Reviewed March 9, 2015

I contacted a few tour operators in Maui before selecting Pono Fried. We were looking for something unique and not a big tour bus. Pono replied to my inquiry right away and gave me several ideas. We then talked and he customized the tour to exactly what we were looking for. He took us to some great spots, not filled with tourists. He also prepared a lovely lunch for us and remained extremely flexible to our time desire and locations that we wished to see. He was a great guide and made the day so memorable. When I retunr to Maui next year, I will be contacting him to see a different part of the island. A great day! I would highly recommend this!

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed March 8, 2015

I was so excited and inspired to share our experiences about Open Eye Tours on Maui with Pono Fried that I wrote it during our first moment of spare time once we were able to use our computers on the airplane! It’s a longer review because I wanted to share what makes Open Eye Tours unique from other tour companies in Maui. If you do book with him, please tell him Sheri says “Aloha” (“hello”...it can also mean goodbye) and Mahala nui loa (which means thank you very much).

My 18 year old son and I did a lot of research on the highest rated private tour guides for our cruise vacation. We decided to find out more about Open Eye Tours for our Maui tour after seeing how highly rated this company was. Pono, the owner, provides the ultimate in customer service. He is the owner and only guide, so his personal reputation is based on satisfied reviews of clients.

Pono prepares a lot to customize tours so we can prioritize the sites that we wanted to see to make sure we could fit in as much as possible before our luau reservation. He sent us an email with a menu of a long list of descriptive tours by theme or area, which makes you want to order from each "entree" (LOL). He can also customize a tour based on our interests from a questionnaire that he sent us to fill out. We wanted to “focus” mostly on a photography tour (pun intended) because we wanted to capture, savor and share our beautiful memories of our time spent in Hawaii with family and friends. I knew right away when I first messaged Pono and spoke with him on the phone that this would be the highlight of our vacation.

We like to see and experience as much as we can so a customized tour was perfect for us. We could see things at our own pace and see more than what group tours see. I read in reviews that it’s best to have a tour on the Road To Hana because if you rent a car, you can miss some of the sites because you’re too busy trying to drive carefully on the very long curvy road. (It has over 600 curves and also many one lane bridges to maneuver over). Also, tour guides can share the culture, language and unique areas from the usual tourist sites.

Pono greeted us with a flower lei which was beautiful and smelled so good! He also gave my son a polished, shiny black Kukui nut lei which is what is traditionally presented to males as he sang a beautiful Hawaiian chant which made us feel welcome. I knew we would enjoy an enriching experience with Pono that filled all of our senses…We saw the beautiful ocean, waterfalls etc, heard birds, waterfalls, the crashing of waves, Hawaiian music in his car and musical instruments that he demonstrated and let us play them also in addition to traditional Hawaiian legends. We tasted many new types of fruit (although it depends on what season you go as to which fruits are available from Pono’s own farm. (I wish we had them available here on the mainland!). We touched the fruit, black sand, treasures on the beaches and plants, and also smelled the fragrant lei, ocean, fruit and authentic food during lunch.

Pono was able to communicate in Hawaiian so it was interesting to hear him speak to a former student of his at a place where we ate. He also shared Hawaiian legends and stories that related to areas that we visited.

Since we booked an Old Lahaina luau dinner that we needed to get to on time, we decided to book the halfway to Hana tour since I saw photos of areas we'd like to photograph (we took some great photos of some unique areas that aren’t visited by other tours). The Road all the way to Hana can take a long time and many of the highlights are closer to the halfway point. There are so many different sites to see on the way to Hana that a customized tour by Pono brought us to “secret” places where buses and many other tours aren’t able to go. I knew our experience was above and beyond what other tours see and where we could take some special photos.

He took us to some unique trails that tours aren't able to go to. He showed us a sleeping grass plant which looked like a fine very small fern...when you touch it, it furls up and closes! He spoke about plants that you could eat and medicinal plants. We saw a beautiful overlook of cliffs and the ocean where I took a panoramic photo. We went to a private black sand beach where there were very few people and he serenaded us on his ukulele by the ocean. We had a picnic with many different fruits from his very own farm, what a treat...literally:).

We learned the names of new fruit and tasted them in addition to a coconut dessert and delicious mango bread (items may vary depending on the season) which accompanied a meal that was included in the tour.

We went to a beautiful out of the way coastal black lava rock area with gorgeous turquoise water and waves crashing high in the air. We absolutely loved taking photos there and Pono also took photos of us. He found some of nature’s gifts from the beach and gave them to us. (just don’t take any lava rocks which are said to bring very bad luck!) We loved this out of the way scenic area which he shared with us...absolutely beautiful turquoise water! He stopped off at a beach so we could take photos of a beached Hawaiian Monk seal and a green sea turtle which is very rare to see!

Pono pointed out some smaller natural waterfalls streaming down rocks on the side of the road where we were able to stop at our own leisure unlike tour buses and we wouldn’t even noticed them in a bus. We saw a larger waterfall also. We stopped at the eucalyptus tree forest which was also great for photos.

On our way to the Old Lahaina luau, Pono also showed us some other sites where we stopped for photos.

He concluded the tour with a nice Hawaiian chant and translated it for us and then gave us a gift bag (which varies since it is customized). The parting gifts made us feel that we were visiting with a friend who gave us part of the “island” to take home with us.

As we look back at our beautiful photos, I am glad that we were able to take Maui home with us since we fell in love with the island and it’s beauty even more. When I asked my son what his most memorable experience was, he said he loved the tour with Pono. (although I do a lot of research before trips to make sure that I get the best rated tour companies/guides so we did enjoy all of them because they each offered something different with very nice and knowlegable tour guides and the natural beauty of Hawaii which was our dream vacation.) I only wish we could have toured with Pono longer, but I highly recommend Pono for a truly unique sensory and cultural experience which you’ll remember with a big warm smile!

Date of experience: February 2015
6  Thank sherisphototour
Reviewed February 3, 2015

My wife and I spent four nights on Kauai, and 4 on Maui. It was a magical vacation. Our time on Maui was filled with great weather and 2 excursions; whale watching (spectacular), and a Guided Tour of The Road to Hana. Pono shared his amazing knowledge of island culture, native fruits from his own garden, and countless stops to experience unparalleled beauty. All the while sharing stories about himself and learning about us. An entire day of great moments. Thank you Pono!!!

Date of experience: January 2015
2  Thank Daniel K
Reviewed January 29, 2015

Well - he did it again. We went back to Maui and of course had to spend a day with Pono. Our family has come to expect it each time we travel to HI.

This trip Pono took us up into the Maui upcountry. We sampled so much wonderful food, including fresh fruits from Pono's garden.

Also - we have made the trip up Haleakala several times to try and catch a beautiful sunrise. Out of three tries - none have been stellar. Pono suggested we try catching a sunset, even though for some asinine reason he can't take folks on tours there, he still suggested we take the time on our own to go. It was breath taking!

But most importantly - we learned - we learned a lot about the history and culture of Hawaii and it's people.

Date of experience: September 2014
Reviewed January 11, 2015

This tour was absolutely amazing. My husband and I wanted to take a trip prior to starting our family and Maui was our destination. The experience we had with Pono was unbelievable. He was so knowledgeable about the Island's plants, culture, and stories. It was amazing to have someone there to tell you stories and legends and facts about how Maui came to be. He was friendly and was an excellent person to spend the day with. He was so personable it felt like you were visiting an old friend within minutes. He made us lei's from his garden and brought an array of fruit with him for us to try, as well as sang traditional songs with his ukulele. He took excellent photographs of us on our tour that are prized memories for my husband and I to share with our future child. The customization of the tour made us feel like we were getting to see the side of Maui we wanted to, not simply the overpopulated tourist traps. It was an amazing experience and I would recommend anyone to go see him on their trip to Maui! Thanks for an amazing experience.

Date of experience: September 2014