Review Highlights
Outstanding touring experience with Pono!

Open Eyes Tour in Maui is certainly the most appropriate name for traveling with Pono for a tour... read more

Reviewed January 12, 2020
Flight50
Amazing Maui with Pono

I can't even begin to tell you how good the tour was with Pono. After taking our day trip with... read more

Reviewed January 9, 2020
Hyssong

All reviews pono fried musical instruments hawaiian culture sea turtles customized tour his knowledge road to hana fruit private tour picnic lunch organic farm black sand beach ginger bread beautiful handmade turtles coming dream vacation off the beaten path
Selected filters
Reviewed February 3, 2015

My wife and I spent four nights on Kauai, and 4 on Maui. It was a magical vacation. Our time on Maui was filled with great weather and 2 excursions; whale watching (spectacular), and a Guided Tour of The Road to Hana. Pono shared his amazing knowledge of island culture, native fruits from his own garden, and countless stops to experience unparalleled beauty. All the while sharing stories about himself and learning about us. An entire day of great moments. Thank you Pono!!!

Date of experience: January 2015
2  Thank Daniel K
Reviewed January 29, 2015

Well - he did it again. We went back to Maui and of course had to spend a day with Pono. Our family has come to expect it each time we travel to HI.

This trip Pono took us up into the Maui upcountry. We sampled so much wonderful food, including fresh fruits from Pono's garden.

Also - we have made the trip up Haleakala several times to try and catch a beautiful sunrise. Out of three tries - none have been stellar. Pono suggested we try catching a sunset, even though for some asinine reason he can't take folks on tours there, he still suggested we take the time on our own to go. It was breath taking!

But most importantly - we learned - we learned a lot about the history and culture of Hawaii and it's people.

Date of experience: September 2014
Reviewed January 11, 2015

This tour was absolutely amazing. My husband and I wanted to take a trip prior to starting our family and Maui was our destination. The experience we had with Pono was unbelievable. He was so knowledgeable about the Island's plants, culture, and stories. It was amazing to have someone there to tell you stories and legends and facts about how Maui came to be. He was friendly and was an excellent person to spend the day with. He was so personable it felt like you were visiting an old friend within minutes. He made us lei's from his garden and brought an array of fruit with him for us to try, as well as sang traditional songs with his ukulele. He took excellent photographs of us on our tour that are prized memories for my husband and I to share with our future child. The customization of the tour made us feel like we were getting to see the side of Maui we wanted to, not simply the overpopulated tourist traps. It was an amazing experience and I would recommend anyone to go see him on their trip to Maui! Thanks for an amazing experience.

Date of experience: September 2014
Reviewed December 8, 2014

My 16 year old granddaughter and I are back home in Queensland, Australia now, but will remember two recent amazing experiences on Maui which surpassed all the others. One of them was the private, customised tour we took with Pono on the 19th November. It was a BIG day but such a fabulous day. We were looking forward to it long before we boarded our flight to Hawaii and were not disappointed. Following a fabulous helicopter ride over Haleakala with Blue Hawaii, (still worth a recommendation after 35 years!), we were greeted by New York born 'Pono' who placed fresh leis of fragrant Plumeria picked from his organic farm that morning, over our heads while singing a traditional Hawaiian greeting in a pitch perfect tune ... in front of a crowd of smiling people waiting their turn for a helicopter ride.We had exchanged emails with Pono prior to our visit during which time our likes and preferences were noted so that Pono could design a tour which we would love. Despite being a very modern miss who can't live without her IPhone or IPad, my G/daughter loves anything romantic and often wears laurels of flowers in her hair at home and she is very musical. At our greeting, Pono presented her with a matching headpiece of Plumeria for her to wear with her lei. A wonderful, gentle and aromatic welcome indeed. The result of her experiences with Pono on this day resulted in her putting away her electronic gadgets while she connected with nature in wonderment just like when she was a small child.

There were too many wonderful moments throughout our day with Pono to note here: and I want to leave some surprises for you should you book a tour with him, but I asked my g/daughter at day's end, 'What was the highlight of your day with Pono ?'. Her answer was one that surprised me. She said, the food and the music. The food she referred to, included fruits collected from trees Pono's planted himself on his organic farm many years ago. When we stopped for refreshments in the morning our senses of sight, sound and taste were in for a treat. Between where we sat and the wild ocean waves which pounded the shoreline, lay massive twisted, sunbleached sculptures of driftwood befitting a modern day, expansive art gallery. Photo opportunity! Many varieties of fruit from Pono's farm were offered. Freshly baked banana bread also, still warm from the oven and yummy coconut pudding presented chilled in shiny black lacquered Japanese boxes with elegant red writing strokes. There was pure water, hot drinks and chilled sugar free coconut juice and more. While we were nibbling, and sometimes gobbling down delicious morsels of this and that, Pono pulled out several authentic Hawaiian musical instruments and explained how each was made. Then he invited us to choose one of them and encouraged us each to play a little tune, after demonstrating how to use them...the we all played a tune together. Here, he played the flute in a very different way which we had never seen before. No doubt you'll laugh at this as we did. Good, clean, fun in a stunning natural environment.
Soon after, we were taken to a secret Hawaiian healing place on the very top of a soaring high cliff. I can't divulge too much because it IS a secret place; but my most memorable moment was lying back in a fast flowing mountain stream deep within The Valley of the Kings a short distance away. The water was cool, tingling. Invigorating. I emerged feeling 30 years younger. A most wonderful restorative experience.
No crowds, No queues, and very interesting information on many subjects keep one interested and alert all day long. The hours flew by.
We have no hesitation in recommending anyone who wants a truly memorable experience in the Hawaiian Islands to contact Pono and do what we did. We'll never forget it. Thank you Pono.

Date of experience: November 2014
Reviewed November 30, 2014

As we head back to the mainland, my family and I want to thank you so much for the wonderful island tour you gave us this week. The knowledgable insights you gave us to Maui and its cultural history were fantastic. We enjoyed everything from the picnics to the views, and from the Hawaiian music to the beautiful aromatic leis. But most of all we appreciated the personal touch you used to effectively tailor the day to the types of experiences we hoped to enjoy. We look forward to another day with you in the future when our travels bring us back to Maui.

Date of experience: November 2014