“Great sushi, off the beaten path”

makawao sushi & deli
Ranked #14 of 25 Restaurants in Makawao
Cuisines: Seafood
“Great sushi, off the beaten path”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Dont let the haters fool you, the sushi here is excellent, makawao is a little out of the way for you hana traveling folk but its def. worth the trip. Try the ice cream, you'll be glad you did

Limassol, Cyprus
“Definitely some of the best sushi we've ever had!”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Some local friends recommended this place for good sushi so I thought I'd read the reviews on TripAdvisor before we went. As always the reviews are helpful but mixed. My friends mentioned that the service wasn't great and I read that on here too but I still went with an open mind. I guess coming from Europe where the service isn't always great (especially in Cyprus), the service really isn't the be all and end all for us. It's more about the food and how good it is! I'm glad we didn't listen to the reviews about the service because we would have missed out on some of the best sushi we've ever had. Sure the service could be better but both my husband and I smiled & thanked the lady when she presented us with our menus and food and she wasn't as sullen with us as some people have possibly experienced. I think the lady is just super concentrated and focused on what she's doing. Anyways... back to the sushi! We ordered two California rolls with tobiko ($9.50 each - not at all expensive) and I've never seen anyone put so much tobiko on a roll before. Generous was definitely an understatement on all the sushi we ate. We also had a Philadelphia roll - the salmon was cooked/warm in the roll which wasn't what I was expecting but it was still good. And we also ordered a Rainbow roll. This was $18 - maybe on the expensive side for some but there was barely any rice in the roll but rather a HUGE amount of fish. We were so shocked at how much fish was in the roll and how generous the slices were. I think it's double the amount of fish you'd get elsewhere in a rainbow roll so worth the price. We really enjoyed it and are DEFINITELY going again!

• Visited October 2011
“Rudest service on the island”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

With so many other food options on Maui, don't waste your time going in here. The female owner who served my daughter and niece was so rude, rolling her eyes and huffing and puffing. She was anything but friendly or welcoming to two young girls looking for ice cream on a hot day. I wanted to just walk out.
I wouldn't go back into this place if the food was free. With such a horrible attitude and mood in such an awesome little town on Maui - she should do herself a favor and get out if the business.

Jersey City, New Jersey
“GREAT sushi but on the pricey side”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My husband wanted to stop in Makawao b/c the blue book said it had great galleries. By the time we got there, around 3:30 on Sunday, the place seemed deserted. We went to a few of the shops and galleries and then asked one of the store workers for her recommendations. She said we wouldn't be disappointed by the sushi so when the kids heard that there was no turning back.

The menu handed to us was very limited , it seemed like every version of a roll or handroll came as spicy only which is ok for the kids, they love spice. I ordered a California roll and so did my husband, but then we noticed the whiteboard on the wall which had other options. BUT, it was barely readable as the red ink was so faded. We upgraded to a bento box which included 3 small pieces of cucumber roll and a few Edamame beans. We all loved the sushi but left hungry b/c we were on a budget. Each roll was about $9, $1.50 extra for the bento box, $7 for a salmon hand roll and $2.50 for a side order of Edamame.
I think they should revamp the menu so all food options are in one place.

Rating scale: Very Bad, Bad, Good, Very Good, Excellent
House tap water: Good
Bathroom: Good

• Visited August 2011
“Ok food; unenthusiastic staff.”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Not much to say about this place. I've gone back a couple times just because there are so few places in Makawao but I've never been impressed with the food or service. Not the most welcoming place around. Fine place to pick up a postcard and a coffee, though, if you have a little time to spare. Lots of cute, original shops and galleries within a block.

Been to makawao sushi & deli? Share your experiences!