“Peaceful calm relaxing helpful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makawao
Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao
Ranked #1 of 3 Makawao B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 26, 2006

I had occasion to stay at Hale Ho'okipa Inn for a few nights two weeks ago. What a treat! I found the atmosphere warm and welcoming and the experience educational. The house is turn of the last century and reminds me of my Great Grandmother's house with it's big porches and high ceilings. Love the garden as well! The hostess--Cherie--is such a sweetheart and has put together so much information about the house and it's family and and old-time life on Maui. She's also so willing to share her personal knowledge about where to go and what to see and how to do it, even to providing towels, coolers, beach mats. My stay was a lot of fun and too short. Loved starting the day with fresh fruit and coffee and chatting with folks from all over. I will definitely go back there again hopefully next year. Thanks so much for the relaxing good time!

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank OrchidMom

Reviewed August 16, 2006

I thought I had a reservation but the proprietor now denies that she even told me the room was available. I received 3 emails from the proprietor that confirmed my reservation for a single room. I left three voice mails to give my information and responded immediately when asked for my phone number. When I finally reached her just now she made all sorts of excuses ('I hurt my finger') (someone else does bookings too) that were very unprofessional and showed them to be not at all customer oriented. Aggravating and expensive to be looking for accomodations so close to our trip. (Month given above is the month when we had this annoying experience.)

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank kc~in~motion
Upcountry, owner at Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2009

It's been a few years since this review, but I decided to respond to this.
I had a very serious injury, a crushed finger that week. I did offer another room...this person was very stressed with her upcoming trip..and we were unable to get anywhere at that point. I try to be relaxed and professional with my bookings and dealings with guests. This is Hawaii, it's about Aloha.
Cherie

Reviewed August 3, 2006

The Hale Ho'o Kipa is a real piece of old Hawaii. Beautiful antique furniture and decor. Our room was lovely and comfortable. The hostess was lovely to talk to, and we spent about an hour conversing with her and the other two guests one morning at breakfast. Breakfast is mostly breads, fruits, and juices - very continental. Also, very beautiful gardens.

Very nice place, highly recommended.

2  Thank alexsm
Reviewed February 10, 2006

We stayed here in July of 2005 for three nights, after six nights on the beach down south. It's in a residential neighborhood, but is a beautiful old house with a lot of charm and very comfortable. Breakfast was great, the hostess was very friendly and helpful, and you're within walking distance of the town of Makawao (great malasadas at the bakery there). Ho'okipa is just a short, pleasant drive down the hill, where there are some good restaurants. Highly recommended a good backcountry change-of-pace from the beach communities.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank TravellerOKC
A TripAdvisor Member
LA
Reviewed January 26, 2006

An amazing house and grounds. There is a koi bond in the front yard that is a great touch.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 8, 2006

This B&B is very laid back, and for some, that might lead to confusion and disappointment. Do not stay here if:

-- You want your room tidied every day. I stayed for 5 nights and made my own bed daily. The towels were never changed, nor was the wastebasket emptied.

-- You need a hot cooked breakfast. Most B&Bs in Hawaii provide continental breakfast only. This one provides amazing fruit like lilikoi (passionfruit), breadfruit, and avocado. But if you absolutely must have your eggs, bacon, and french toast, you'll be disappointed.

-- You don't like rooms filled with vintage (as opposed to expensive antique) furniture and objects.

-- You don't like being social at breakfast. Here, it's served family-style on the dining room table.

On the other hand, this B&B has lots to recommend it. The home is historic, by Hawaii standards: it was built in the 1920s by a Portuguese immigrant family, and their descendants still hold reunions in the house. Cherie has done a good job evoking the old days. As I've said, that involves lots of vintage furniture. It's like staying with your (very tasteful) grandmother.

The house's location is very handy. You can walk to Makawao. And for fans of upcountry Maui, getting to Pa'ia, Haiku, Kula, and Haleakala is a breeze. On the other hand, Maui's not that big, so you can also get to the beaches on the south coast with little trouble.

Finally, it's pretty good value. Maui is not a cheap place -- take a look at the real estate listings while you're there; they'll make you gasp! I shudder to think what this charming home would fetch on the market today, which makes the $90 a night I paid to stay there seem cheap indeed.

I also met a lot of nice, diverse people, including two women visiting from Switzerland and a couple from Denmark. I doubt if I would have talked to them if we'd all been staying at some anonymous hotel.

So -- go, by all means. If you know what to expect beforehand, you'll have a lovely time.

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank SkyeTraveler
Reviewed January 5, 2006

We stayed 3 nights here. It was our 1st stay at a B&B & we were not sure what to expect.
It is a decent property & the house itself is quite historic. The central room is very nice. It is kept very clean.
Our problems:
The windows are not very air tight. Our last night it was very windy & cold. We had an extremely cold & damp draft blowing on us all night since the bed is located directly under the window.
We had 1 set of towels each that were not replaced. It is in higher altitude so they were damp & cold when we used them. Yuck.
No one on site in the 3 days. We did have a contact to call if we needed anything.
No fridge in room & not enough room in kitchen fridge to keep our stuff.
Ants in the kitchen so we couldn't keep our stuff there either.
Breakfast is served from 8:15Am to 9 AM. Pretty tight window. We were gone before then & did not want to hang around for it.
It was not a great stay for us. We never felt comfortable at all while there. We thought maybe we were not B&B people but then we stayed at the Emerald View Inn on Big Island & just loved it. I think this place is not for people who are more accustomed to hotels.

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank pignacious
Upcountry, Owner at Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2010

Aloha, Sometimes I look back through all old reviews to make sure I am in good standings, and to address or correct any issues a guest may have had.
I have repaired window drafts, but the original old windows are still in place. There are no beds under drafty windows anymore...
When I am off island for a few days, I do have a manager presence, every morning at breakfast, throughout the day, and in the evening and over night...wtih contact numbers posted.
I also have made sure all guests have two sets of towels each, even for short stays, there seems to be an overabundance of towels in rooms these days.
Sorry these folks did not enjoy their stay, always hope people can direct their needs to us at breakfast while they are here............
Mahalo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Maui Seaside Hotel
Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast
Maui Tradewinds
Maui Tradewinds
#1 of 8 in Haiku

Been to Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao? Share your experiences!