“Very nice small town B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makawao
Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao
Ranked #2 of 2 Makawao B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very nice small town B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

I rated the "Inn" four stars overall, although my spouse would have given it a five. I could understand ratings anywhere from one to five, depending on your perspective. The Inn is actually a quait old bungalow that rents out three bedrooms. If I had to use one word to describe the ambiance, it would be "granola-ish." It is easy to find in a residential neighborhood just off one of the main roads through Makawao. The owner, Cheri Attix, lives in a separate building on the property. Guests have access to a living room, dining area and kitchen, nicely furnished, and with lots of Hawaii literature laying around. We were in the Hibiscus room, apparently the smallest of the three and paid a total of $421.56, tax included, for all three nights. We had a sink in bedroom itself and a toilet and small shower in a separate room within the bedroom. The 8:00 breakfasts were excellent, with a large selection of cereals, breads, fruit, juice, etc. I think you could also have hot instant oatmeal, but no "bacon and eggs," or the like, which we were aware of going in. The location is "upcountry," in a small, rural town. We chose it for its location close to the "Road to Hana" (which turned out to be an overrated trip in my opinion) and Haleakala [volcano] National Park. This is not "beach resort" Maui. Cheri was very pleasant, friendly and extremely helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations, etc., and lending us an ice chest and beach towels. There was a small TV in the bedroom that did not work when we arrived, but Cheri fixed the problem for us. There was no obvious internet access, but we didn't ask about it, either. From my standpoint, there were only two negatives. The owner (or her helper?) did not make our bed each day -- we've stayed in many, many B&B's and that was a first. Just a minor issue. Second, there are a lot of "rules" for guests to follow, rules that were presented in such a way that I felt a little uncomfortable -- like if I accidently broke a "rule" I might be thrown out on the street, or worse. The assumption seems to be that guests may not know how to behave as civilized beings, which is a tad bit offensive. (My spouse did not feel that way, however.) It may be that Cheri has had some really bad experiences with other guests. Notwithstanding, we would recommend the Inn to others who would be interested in that sort accomodation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Upcountry, owner at Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
Aloha and Mahalo for your review,
I appreciate your sincerity, and taking the time to write a review.
In consideration of my neighborhood, I do remind guests to be aware of their surroundings. Co-existing in Hawaii with our diverse cultures is part of the experience in being "of " this wonderful place. I also re-cycle,, and encourage my guests to do so as well. I will of course take care of it, if someone does not wish to do so.
To continue to offer good value to my guests and keep the costs down, I do not offer daily maid service, however, linens are changed every three days, and additional towels are always available.
Wireless internet is available in the house at no charge to guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

From our initial contact, every aspect of the Hale Ho'okipa Inn was as promised. The service was outstanding:fresh cut island fruit, huge selection of breads, cereals, juices..and lots of great coffee!
Our rooms were comfortable and cozy...nicely decorated.
Makawao is NOT a beach location...just what we wanted. Convenient drives nevertheless...but no heavy tourist traffic. I felt it enhanced the experience as we felt part of a cozy, almost artsy small community.
Keeping in mind that Maui is either or and "early" or casual mid-day tourist experience when it comes to driving.....be mindful that the small community experience means that traffic at the expected busy hours will exists, the locals to and from work. But, as they say: "hang loose"...it was easy to adjust to that fact.
Overall...if you want a B&B that's cozy, comfortable (really), and provides considerate, personable service and accommodations....I highly recommend the Hale Ho'okipa Inn.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank GrapevineTex
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2009

We loved our stay here. The inn is very comfortable and convenient to much of Maui. Cherie is a fantastic hostess with lots of good advice about things to see and do - she steered us to some wonderful places we would never have found on our own and helped us to get the most out of our stay on Maui. We would love to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

i spent 3 nights there with my parents. It was really fantastic, and I'm really grateful to Cherrie (the owner) to welcome us as she did.

The location is a bit off the beaten tracks, but that's what we were looking for and it's difficult to be better located when you want to visit the Haleakala National Park. Don't forget to ask Cherrie before your trek to have the better tips, she will help you to choose the better trails (regardind your own goals). Our trail was unforgettable!!

The House is also very charming: cosy (also interesting in an historical aspect), beautiful garden, delicious & regenerating breakfast.

And you'll find in the little town all you need to have dinner (italian restaurant or american cuisine..) There is also a general store which has a good "traiteur service" and with some vegan or organic products if you like it...

I'm french, so I would ask readers to excuse my poor english..

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

This is a must-do location if you're seeing the sunrise at Haleakala or driving the Road to Hana. Also close to the town of Paia, sort of eclectic and fun, with a variety of restaraunts and beach. The owner of the B&B is VERY helpful and a great hostess. The price is a bonus for sure! We stayed in the Kona wing with 2 large separate cozy bedrooms and a nice private bath in-between. The fresh fruit and healthy variety offered at breakfast is more than enough to keep you going thru to lunch. We did the sunrise at Haleakala, a local zipline adventure at Piiholo Ranch and the Road to Hana....as well as the Fish Market and Mama's Fish House in Paia....all fun and excellent experiences and very close to the B&B. We also got up early to get the cream puffs at the local bakery in Makaweo, worth the early rise. There are plenty of restaurants and markets in town by the B&B, we just found Paia close by and it was the perfect variety for us, for lunch and nightlife. The owner of the B&B was quite helpful with questions and suggestions and she makes you feel like you're visiting your own private cottage....very welcoming and pleasant. We'll stay here again if we get the opportunity.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Wilderness
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

A very quaint and comfortable place to stay with charm of old Hawaii. The establishment is located in a residential cul-de-sac in town, so one shouldn't expect an incredible Hawaiian view or experience. Expect a bit of noise too, especially early morning, since everyone in the neighborhood seems to have a rooster.

The rooms were well appointed for a bed and breakfast and comfortable for the most part. We had a gecko running around in our room, and on our last day, had a cockroach scurry across the floor. Taking a shower or bath in the evening was just about impossible as there was no cold water, only scalding hot water. Getting up early meant you got a comfortable shower. Breakfast was continental style with delicious fresh fruits, breads, tea, coffee, and cereals. Host was knowledgeable about Maui and shared insights at breakfast time.

There is an eco-friendly theme to the place with emphasis on composting, recycling, and energy conservation, but one couldn't help but notice the lack of energy efficient lights and bulbs, especially since the common area was lit 24/7. Showers were encouraged to be short. Since regulating the temperature was a tad difficult, this shower length wasn't a problem.

If you are looking for an affordable option Upcountry Maui, this is worth a look.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Upcountry, owner at Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao, responded to this review, September 13, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, my goal is for guests to enjoy themselves. Really wonderful guests stay with me, and I like to share all the wonders Maui has to offer.
In response to the lack of CFL bulbs in the house, I did change them all and found the quality of light very uncomfortable. Now I have a combination of bulbs, some CFL. I do have to keep some lights on in the parlor for guests in the evening, but turn them off during the day. A guest returning at the end of the day will see the lights on.
Recycling has always been important to me, and that will continue to be a focus.
I also love to garden and enjoy serving delicious fruit from my gardens.
In the tropics we have geckos, they do their job keeping bugs out of the house.
Mahalo for taking the time for a review.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

I wrote a review after returning last year, but, sitting at home and dreaming of staying at Ho'okipa Hale again, I realised that it didn't seem to have posted.

The house is beautifully restored with loving attention to period detail. Antique furniture and furnishings contribute to the homely feel of the Inn - I even had a cast-iron bathtub with feet! I stayed in the light and airy Rose Room, with gorgeous views towards the north coast.

The Inn is perfectly located, as it's a 10-minute walk (there are side-walks) or 2-minute drive to Makawao's high street, the post office, filling station and health food store.
Pa'ia and Ho'okipa Beach are only some 15 minutes drive, as is the start of the Haleakala Highway. Highway 37, which is a straight shot to the harbour and airport in Kahului (ca. 15mins), is only 5 minutes drive away.

But as the house is in a quiet cul-de-sac, you can really enjoy sitting in the garden or on the back porch and listening to the gurgle of the goldfish pond. Cheri, the owner, is great to chat with and a font of knowledge, whether you want to know which gardens will offer the best views for the time of the year or how to find a good surf instructor.
A well-sorted library of books on Hawai'i and Maui is available, as are beach mats and towels.

If you are looking for a relaxed place to chill out and from where to explore upland or western Maui as well as the north coast, look no further. I'd go back in a flash in any case!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat

Been to Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao? Share your experiences!