We enjoyed our stay here after a few days on the Maui west coast beach area. It was a central spot for seeing other parts of the island - Halekalea, Paia, Hana. You can walk into the little town of Makawao but there's not much to see other than a few galleries and a few eatiers - an afternoon would be more than enough. The bakery is great but go early as items sell out and we had a nice meal at the Italian restaurant. Halekalea was a disappointment after being on Mauana Kea on the Big Island but still worth a visit if the clouds don't get in the way of the views. On arrival the office was unattended and there was a general note saying to walk around and find Marty or call a phone number, but we had no phone to call with and didn't know where to start looking for Marty so we just found our cottage (I knew which one I had booked) and let ourselves in because it was unlocked. It would have been good to have a note or something addressed to us on the door with the key saying welcome, let yourself in since our arrival was expected given our booking. The cottages seemed very close together when we arrived, but we still enjoyed a great sense of space with few others around. The grounds are lovely. The muffin, juice and fruit breakfast was simple but nice. The pool was too cold for swimming, but it is at elevation so I suppose it is always going to be cooler than the coast. The manager and assistant were pleasant without going out of their way - the most enthusiasm the manager showed was beckoning me to wait before we left - he wanted to give me a standard letter asking guests to leave a tripadvisor review!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Banyan Tree House, a Maui bed and breakfast with 3 cottages and 4 suites in a wonderful, old plantation house. A quiet retreat in a central island location that is close, yet wonderfully removed from Maui's hotel / resort beachfront crowds. Simply overflowing with Aloha and Hawaii-ana. Giant tropical trees create a peaceful, shady 2.11 Acre oasis a midst giant tropical trees, flowers and sunny open lawns with a 50' swimming pool and Jacuzzi and fully equipped Yoga Studiio There is an additional total $400 cleaning charge when renting the entire property ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Banyan Tree House Hotel Makawao
- Banyan Bed And Breakfast Retreat Maui/Makawao