I booked the entire Banyan Tree House for a high school group of 16 (two adults 14 teens) in August. What a fanatastic place! Marty, the owner, was incredibly helpful and gracious. Of all the places we stayed in Hawaii, my students liked this spot the best. The property is gorgeous (two huge banyan trees...one with a swing), the view over the West Maui mountains is superb, and the upslope location keeps the evenings cool. While not luxurious, the loding is very nice. The main house is a historic plantation home. The surrounding cottages are comfortable. Since I stayed here with a group, I cannot comment on staying here with other guests who I don't know. Some of the rooms are more private than others. The pool is one of the nicest I have seen at a rental home.
An earlier review stated that the place was essentially a dump and that they preferred the hotels that used pesticides....hmmm...probably not a candidate for Makaweo rental homes. The appeal of renting a home in Makaweo, Paia, Haiku, etc is that you don't have the plastic atmosphere of a hotel--especially the nightmare strips of hotels in south and west Maui. The reviewer stated that the place was dirty, there were bugs and the pool was not usable. I am pretty picky and will not stay at such places with my students. The Banyan Tree in NO WAY fits the reviewer's description. Bugs? Well, no more than any other house on any of the Hawaiian islands---especially where there is regular precip. These are semi-tropical islands and bugs are common.....having a bug in the house in Maui is not the same as having bugs on the mainland. If you cannot deal with that--stay at a posh hotel. However, keep in mind that my students come from well-to-do suburban NY homes....if they weren't put off by the bugs, then most people won't be. Other than the bugs, I disagree with everything the reviewer wrote....the towels were fine, the pool was spotless, and the house was clean.
Needless to say, I strongly recommend this for someone who wants a down to earth, very clean, and beautiful place to stay--especially if you reserve the entire house for a group (which was very reasonably priced).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Banyan Tree House, a Maui bed and breakfast with 3 cottages and 4 suites in a wonderful, old plantation house. A quiet retreat in a central island location that is close, yet wonderfully removed from Maui's hotel / resort beachfront crowds. Simply overflowing with Aloha and Hawaii-ana. Giant tropical trees create a peaceful, shady 2.11 Acre oasis a midst giant tropical trees, flowers and sunny open lawns with a 50' swimming pool and Jacuzzi and fully equipped Yoga Studiio There is an additional total $400 cleaning charge when renting the entire property ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Banyan Tree House Hotel Makawao
- Banyan Bed And Breakfast Retreat Maui/Makawao