Royal Lahaina Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)
4,296 results
All reviewsthe cottagestower roomgarden cottagepineapple waterroyal scoopocean viewblack rockour honeymoonwhalers villagemain towerbreakfast buffetfree trolleybeach barwelcome homekaanapali beachbeautiful beachmai tais
FilterAll languages
Sacramento
Reviewed September 18, 2005

We booked our trip to the Royal Lahaina through Priceline who rated it a 3-Star, the highest on their list, which purportedly includes the likes of Hyatt, Hilton, Embassy Suites. Upon our arrival, the grounds appeared quite beautiful, but contained scattered "cottages" in addition to the main hotel. We quickly learned the hotel did not offer valet service and that we would be forced to self-park in a lot with the smallest parking stalls I have ever seen (I almost had to climb out the window to exit, I'm only 165 lbs). Our rental car was hit in the lot on the second night of our stay, obviously by a Luau reveler who was leaving and could not navigate the small spaces.

Our room was in one of the scattered cottages (5-plex), far from the beach. Due to a lack of privacy, we kept our slider door curtains closed the entire time and were unable to open the wooden tongue and groove shutters because they served as both a window and a shade (opening them let in the hot air). Since the fluorescent type lighting in the room did not work intermittently, the lack of outside light was annoying. The shutters also did not block outside noises (see below).

The room was very outdated and contained the following amenities: stained carpet, broken tiles in bathroom, black mold in grout, chipped ceiling paint hanging down, dryrot in baseboard in bathroom, portable wall unit A/C (e.g. Motel 6) that was very noisy and did not adequately cool the room, glass closet door sliders that fell off the tracks on first try, etc. Sleeping past 5 am was made impossible, first by sprinklers, then by birds, then by mowers and trimming (all before 7 am). There was only one ice machine for all the cottages, about 400 feet away near the main hotel.

The hotel tacked on various petty charges that are not inherent in a quality resort (i.e. $3.50 for use of in-room coffee, $3.75 for use of safe, etc.). We were unable to order pool side food to watch the 6:30 p.m. sunset without going inside and ordering "to go", luckily we asked because the pool waitress advised we couldn't get any food by the pool at that time, and certainly did not offer to obtain it for us. The food was adequate, but nothing more.

On our last morning, a very large cockroach ran from under the bed and had to be pursued and terminated. I have pictures but have not had time to download them yet.

Certainly, my wife and I did not expect the Ritz Carleton. On the other hand, our room would have been a much better fit at a Motel 6, Economy 8, etc. It was certainly unlike any Hyatt, Hilton or Embassy Suites I have ever seen.

• Stayed: September 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2005

We stayed in an Ocean View room for $220 per night, the pictures looked okay so we thought it was going to be nice. Watch out! The Royal Lahaina is outdated, showers are small and clog up, A/C is not worth using, carpet was stained, bed was hard as a board. Their customer service wasn't too impressive, you get better service at a fast food joint. Watch out for hidden charges, we got billed on our last day for using the safe (3.91 per day) there was no posting they would charge us for it and the bell boy told us it's ours to use and showed us how, they refused to drop the charge for it. Their restaurant has a moldy fruit smell and everything's overpriced (15.50 per person for the breakfast). They charge you $10 per hour to use their chairs on the beach- shouldn't that be included in your stay?? Other than the hotel, Maui was very nice and fun. I wouldn't recommend this hotel, there are many more that are nicer and less expensive.

• Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2005

This was the first real vacation that my husband and I have taken in years. I was worried about all the negative reviews, as I wanted it to be fabulous.
We stayed in an ocean front room on the 9th floor. The views, the beach, the food, was all great. Our room was clean and the staff was very friendly.

I would spend the extra money for a view room, but even the garden view areas are gorgeous. I am already planing our next trip. We are going to bring the kids, because everything you want to do,is right at your finger tips.

The luau is loud, but we loved listening to the sounds from our lanai.
Remember your in Hawaii, listen to the ocean, enjoy the pristine white sand beach and blue waters.
Don't expect a vegas style resort, and you will definately come back to the Royal Lahaina.

17  Thank g-mans
Reviewed September 11, 2005

My wife and I celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary at the Royal Lahaina, and we could not be more pleased with everything. The location made it easy to get everywhere with ease, and the staff was very helpful.

We went looking for a nice, clean palce to lay our heads after a good day of exploring the island, and we sure found that at the Royal Lahaina Resort! Our tenth floor, ocean view room gave us a great morning and evening view of the beach and water, while letting us listen to the trade winds blowing.

We loved it, and hope to go back.

10  Thank Art R
Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina from August 11 - 19. This was our 2nd stay at the RL (the first was 1996 and we loved it then). Our room was 1134 (ocean front - 11th floor). When we decided to return to Maui I did not even consider another hotel since we were totally satisfied with our first stay. After I booked is when I started reading reviews of the hotel (the internet was not that big when we went the first time). I must say that I was surprised with what I was reading!? How could people find this VERY Hawaiian Resort to be "kitchy"? I can only say that most of the bad reviews are from "seasoned" travelers that are used to $300 per night rooms that were looking for cheaper digs on Maui or had one bad experience that they let ruin the whole stay.

Our room was neat, clean, no mold or bugs. Beautiful view of the ocean. The north side of black rock (where the RL is) is uncrowded and pristine. We did take a jaunt around the south end by Whalers Village and found it to be too much like Waikiki (commercial). The $16 charge per day was worth it for us for the safe and coffee (although I think that no one ever checked the parking pass). It also gets you a free Mai Tai at the Beachcomer every night. Be sure and ask for more Mai than Tai (and drop a few bucks in his jar). Every night you could find good conversation there (trust me - he knows where to stay away from and where to find the good places to eat). If you don't drink coffee or use the safe it may not be worth the money. HINT - ALL the parking spots on Maui are SMALL! Not just at the Royal Lahaina. I parked many times during the Luau and never had to wait for a space to open. The walk is no longer than parking at Walmart when they are busy. Never took us more that 5 minutes from parking to room. We don't spend much time in the room when we travel so I don't put much stock in the carpet and ceiling (we had no complaints). My ONLY complaint was the TV only got 17 stations (they do have many pay for view movies).

The grounds are beautiful and kept up. Pools are nothing special but we always paid the $35 to rent a cabana for the day to be by the beach. The staff was attentive to everything we asked for (more pillows, extra coffee, room turn downs, safe fixing for no charge (because I was stupid the first day and forgot the password)). We never met a rude employee during our stay. Free beach towels and friendly pool staff. Great snorkling at black rock.

Lots to do and see - WAY TOO much to list here. Feel free to email and ask about my recommendations of Hana, Haleakala, Io Valley, Antiques, Gardens (Enchanted Gardens is a MUST if you like local flora) ...

Anyway - we loved it! For $100/night (we booked a package - air/car/hotel) you can't go wrong. Save the money and spend it on horseback riding (thanks Rocky at the Mendes Ranch), winery, castaways cafe (ask the bartender at the Beachcomer). Just enjoy your stay on Maui and don't sweat the small stuff.

38  Thank A TripAdvisor Member