“was not as bad as a lot of reviewers say”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
B C Canada
“was not as bad as a lot of reviewers say”
Reviewed March 18, 2005

This was the 2nd stage of 3 weeks in Hawaii. 10 days at Waikiki and 10 here. We are used to All Inclusive in Caribean so this was different for us and all Hawaii is much more expensive. What I missed the most at both places was laying at beach in shade in a nice lounge chair. with a cool drink in hand. Not in Hawaii. This resort was on beach but you had to keep chairs on lawn and there was a hedge keeping you from enjoying the view of the ocean. They rented double loungers on the beach for 35 bucks a day.
The hotel was for the price good for us. Staff was good. One review said they got there room for 39 bucks a nite. Wow we got about a 1/3 of a day for that All in all it was great Forget the morning Buffet for 15 bucks get the royal deal for 8.50. . Staff, room and hotel were great for us. We had ocean view, not ocean front, but it was great. We could see Black rock, Golf course and lots of the ocean. We saw more whales right from there than on a whale watching dinner cruise. Parking 9 bucks a day is a bit much. We had a car for 10 days and split it with another couple. Good thing. Car is almost a necesity but if you can get from airport to hotel someway and dont plan to travel much save yourself $1000 bucks on renting ,gas, and parking.. WE wont do Hawaii again but would not worry about going to Royal Lahania again if we did.

4 Thank cubankid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We stayed here for 10 nights. We won't go back. Front desk very complacent. Very loud a/c units on the roof of the restaurant just below our lanai. There is only one plus about this hotel. The beach. Very beautiful. Absolutely no activities. We would have loved to have a nice chaise beach chair for the beach. No way. They are not allowed on the beach. If you wanted to use a lounger, you would have to put your towel on it at 7:00 am and stay up on the grass. This hotel has a luau every night. You pay $12 per day to park and then when returning, there are no parking spaces left. You have to park about 200 yards away in an alternate lot. The spaces are only wide enough for a focus or neon. Forget about parking a taurus or suv. They cram you in so tight. Passenger has to get out first or else neither one of you can exit the car. We complained but to no avail. The lot attendant laughed at us. Told us we should a rented a smaller car. Very old dated hotel. Mildew/mold in shower. burn holes all over the carpet. Lanai is only big enough for two small chairs. Will definitly go back but chose Whalers village down the beach. Much less windy there. We used to travel in third world countries and this place needs to hire a new staff. No friendlyness at all. We felt as if we bothered them. What a dud this place was. One bar tender the whole time we were there. He never ever acknowledged us waiting to order a drink. Pay more, pay less. Go someplace else, but definitly stay on this beach. Kaanapli was a great area to stay in. Do the whale watch on the explorer. A small inflatable boat where you can have one of the up close and personal encounters with the whales. We did. WOW it was awesome. Road to Hana was the greatest. Stop at the shell gas station and buy the cd. You won't miss a single water fall. Do drive all the way around. Don't turn around after Hana. It was well worth it for the views. We had a Chrylser Sebring. No need for 4x4. Even the tour buses drive all the way around. West Maui, molokai helicopter tour with Air Maui was fantastic. As was Feast of Lele. Buy an entertainment book for Hawaii for $30 on the net. Lots of buy one get one free dinners and activites. Mamas fish house was to die for. Went for lunch and pupus before heading back to Michigan on our last day. Just great. Munch and watch the wind surfers. We'll be back. Only make sure you go between January and March when there are thousands of Humpback whales there breeding and giving birth. They stay right off shore from Kaanapli. This island was the best of all we traveled this trip.

• Stayed February 2005
11 Thank margekar
Tucson
Reviewed March 14, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina in 1999 and, apparently, not much has changed. Our unit was right on the beach - 1st floor, walk out through sliding doors into sand - practically. However, that was the only positive. Walls were paper thin. Carpet was old, damp, and created a musty smell. The bathroom was, at best, adequate - not what you'd expect from a "Royal" location. Even the staff in the valet area were rude. Avoid this one like the plague; it's not worth $39 a night...

• Stayed October 1999
4 Thank Harleyman
USA
Reviewed March 8, 2005

The hotel was rated superior in a book our travel agent used, but I was deeply dissatisfied with our bathroom. The shower was old and worn, and while not dirty, certainly was not inviting. There was no tub, not that I would have used it at that point.I took a shower in my beach thongs and I have not done that since college. I was not a happy camper.

The room itself was fine, but also be careful of the "oceanview". While I did have a view of the ocean, I also had a view of a huge tiki hut roof right smack in the middle of our lanai. Be clear about the view. Too, the room deposit upon check-in is $150 and we were not offered the breakfast option. The buffet breakfast was decent, but for $15, I did not feel it was adequate. For example, they had a waffle station and the waffle was sliced 4 ways!!! So what, I'm supposed to just stand there and put 4 waffle wedges on my plate? To me it just seemed too frugal.
However, the snack and bar area had good food and there was always a drink special. I recommend the mai tais.

If I had to do it over again, I would not stay here . Not because it was a bad hotel per se, but because of the shower. I think that if you are looking for a budget hotel this is a decent bet, although I'd bring shower shoes. Otherwise skip it.

8 Thank Vivienne
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed March 6, 2005

My wife and I are currently staying at the Royal Lahaina. Saying that it is a horrible hotel is understating the situation.

Peeling paint, dirt encrusted carpets, waterstained walls and cracked ceilings are the situation that we will deal with for the next couple of days because all the competitors are booked. The room pictures we saw on the internet were either very old, touched up by a pro, or of rooms in other hotels.

The deplorable condition of this hotel is only matched by the surly attitude of the staff. They evidently are so often beseiged by complaints that they have developed a wooden, "yes sir, sorry sir, no there is nothing we can do" response. Actually they don't even say sir, they just refer to you by room number.

They allowed us to look at some other rooms and they are all in the same condition. The $450 per night room might have matched the local downtown budget motel, but just barely.

The bottom line is that if you have any choice at all, do anything in your power to stay away from this place!

10 Thank Gary B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 2, 2005

Wife and I stayed 2/22/05 for 4 nights.were booked in tower with partial view.Room was not avail. they wanted to upgrade us for one night and have us move the next day.4 nights in maui I wasnt moving anywhere. I paid 70.00/nt to stay in cottage/top floor. beleive me well worth it. also dont forget they charge for parking which is crazy,$12.00/nt not me. comped. But you may have to make a little noise. other wise resort was really very nice. may go back someday if can find shorter flight from N.Y.

• Stayed February 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 1, 2005

We visited this hotel in late January during whale season. The hotel is kept clean but the decor is from the 60's. We noticed the floor's finishing was wearing down in the room and the carpet was at least 15 years old. You are close to the beach, and most of the attractions in Northwest Maui. I thought the rooms were a bit overpriced, but the staff in this hotel makes up for the room's shortcomings. This is a 3 star hotel, and if remodeled a lot could be a 4 star.

The food is good for the luau, but ordinary otherwise. Shop around the island for better deals on hotels.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member